NAS LR3 build with an overseas twist

Ray_G

Explorer
I was in the White D90 w/ silver wolfs and the AT Horizon, parked over by Sarek's group area near the big top. I should be at RAW next year and there is the BRE winter Safari i may go to again in early 2018

Ah, I def saw (I mean salivated over) your trailer and was over your way talking to Ben and such.
I swear to god I'm going to bring a list of people I need to meet at RAW and work my way through it.

Ray_G

Explorer
Same here! Not sure what I was thinking. At the time, I think Nitto was the only one making factory LR3 size and that’s why I went there. Great mileage on the Nitto if you keep it on the pavement. Lol

Quite true. They look decent too (the Nittos) but wear horribly at least from what I saw.

Ray_G

Explorer
Oddly enough, in my life this seems perfectly normal.
d71b2224527851d1834b3ec68d2ea10f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray_G

Explorer
Beautiful fall weekend
f16cd31b8e56a4b7b11eea93a897b5d7.jpg

5828bb61c1765ee20b28c1a13f406ad9.jpg

This will require more explanation than the phone can provide.
90af6d5c9873b61c272ebcfd21cf16ae.jpg

b8147388a258aaad3f6f434f54aa7120.jpg

Did get to use the winch to put it in place though!
c5d06b4ab11cd45fdaa58b3e050b8101.jpg

Ray_G

Explorer
Continue to go through Guy Fawkes pics.
c814bf4a525bb4a387e303caf9887118.jpg

Another shot of the rack being used as intended. Always amazes me when people say the prospeed isn't as versatile as the frontrunner. It may not be out of the box-but it damn sure isn't as loud either.
a7cd1557f9c6f4022ce229f7786dda0f.jpg

Ray_G

Explorer
Guy Fawkes 2017 at Twin Mountain

Nobody had to go to hospital.

That more/less sums up Guy Fawkes this year. What has traditionally been a small, eclectic crowd that converges onto John's property to celebrate did not disappoint but this year wasn't as dramatic as previous years, by design and due to good fortune.

As some of the phone posts illustrate, the weekend started with us positioning a scrap plane on a portion of the property. The plane was sourced after a discussion during Wilderness First Aid (WFA) with some of the local first responders and a variety of other folks. Also, because Twin Mountain can. So down the road it will serve any number of potential purposes; scenario play during future WFA/WFR/WEMT and other courses, potential SAR training for a variety of entities, etc. Oh, and BTW, we have a plane!
PB044052.jpg
I may/may not have ridden on the back of it as we moved it into place with the Mog. I mean, it was safe and all...
PB044056.jpg
So then we used the tractor to haul it up the hill.
PB044078.jpg
As noted, used my truck mostly to give the winch a chance to work to put in its final position tucked into the treeline.
2017-11-04 12.49.01.jpg
The pics previously posted along the amazing road that runs along the ridge were during a trip to the local butcher-where we loaded up the fridge with meat for home. As we got back to Twin Mtn, the weather came in.
fullsizeoutput_1de1.jpg
Despite the pyro, I mean my wife's, best efforts this particular bonfire was doomed from precip. A good shot, however, of the infrastructure improvements on the park including the flip toy Disco as well as the pavillion that proved to be $$$ during the rain. We moved a smaller firepit to the edge of that and people could cook and eat out of the rain.
fullsizeoutput_1de0.jpg
Brand agnostic. I would note the sagging tailgate hatch got annoying-that will be the subject of this weekend's work on the truck.
fullsizeoutput_1de2.jpg
In true Twin Mtn Guy Fawkes, we had a variety of foods. The traditional British beans and potatoes of course, but the best was really the Korean food. I know...not appropriate, but amazing.
fullsizeoutput_1de3.jpg
Knowing how treacherous the mountain is in the rain, being rather cold, and exhausted we retired to the house (I have grown soft about camping unless I need to)-apparently at some point judgment was overcome by a variety of factors and there was a night run. Sadly I don't have pictures of the event, just a few of the aftermath. Broken windows and such, but this was appropriate:
2017-11-05 08.55.43.jpg
There was a lot of walking the trails the next day discovering where things went awry, and where miracles occured.
2017-11-05 09.51.17.jpg
...but nobody went to hospital, so it was a good year-and I can't wait till the next.

Ray_G

Explorer
Consolidating recovery gear, tweaking the cargo area, etc

Compilation of some maintenance and some tweaks to the back just for the sake of sharing.

Partner in crime and I took the front skid off the bumper to do some checking on things.
fullsizeoutput_1ddc.jpg
Well then. Note to self, prob need to do this about the same time the clocks change. There was enthusiasm for the butterfly from the able assistant though.
fullsizeoutput_1ddb.jpg

Lowering temps hastened what Guy Fawkes illustrated, the rear tailgate struts were prob not going to last the winter. Thus I ordered a set of Amazon & we went through the rather simple process of replacing.
fullsizeoutput_1dd9.jpg
So far, so good. The other thing we did was work together to program the homeline to the garage door opener...nothing terribly important there other than the need to erase the homeline (1 & 3 together for ~30 sec) then program it to the remote (press remote while pressing the desired program button till it flashes) the key then was having the able assistant sitting on the S1's spare tire press the 'learn' button on the garage door opener while I pressed the programmed button. Your results may vary, but now the add on garage door opener is at least gone. It's the small victories.

Blue Ridge Overland Gear Tow Strap Bag
I hit a point where I realized my orange recovery peli wasn't really the most efficient use of space for the truck and how she is used. Initially, perhaps, but taken in concert with some other changes to the back of the truck I decided to consolidate gear. I knew I wanted to retain my kinetic rope on board and thus decided to give BROG's town strap bag a shot. Very impressed with the bag and keen to try out if it can serve as intended-i.e. hook one end to a truck, and then start to pull the other end while the whole thing stays in the bag. I have some reservations about doing it with a kinetic rope but at $45 it is still a good piece of gear. I def think it would be useful for a winch extension, leaving it in place to serve as a damper (despite that not really being too necessary for synethic).
fullsizeoutput_1df3.jpg

The broader changes to the back came as I wanted to consolidate what was on the middle row of seats. What I'd found was the shovels were rarely used and the bags that I was using for the winch/jumper cable stuff weren't holding up well (as IFAK's they are fine b/c those are rarely touched and if they work as intended at the moment of crisis I'll buy them again, no stress). So I pulled the shovels, put them in the 3rd row floorboard, and backfilled on each side with a Springtail solutions large STAT bag (i.e. what a portion of the recovery gear was already in and, in orange, what the large FAK was housed in.)

Essentially on the passenger side the bag now has the anderson plug jumper cables + the microstart, and on the driver's side the bottom bag is basic recovery (i.e. a tree/short tow strap, hard & soft shackles, maxtrax straps, and a snatch block), upper bag is combined winch controller & air tools/tire kit.
fullsizeoutput_1df1.jpg
All told this removes an orange 1500 sized peli, as well as the jumper cable/air tool bag that was back there. 'Giving back' space for hauling stuff. The BROG strap bag nests well beside the peli.
fullsizeoutput_1df6.jpg
Overall view,.
fullsizeoutput_1df4.jpg

Up next...installing a fixed GMRS radio since we're finding good effects with this waveform up at Twin Mtn. I went ahead and got the lic from the FCC and want to try out the 15w of power.
fullsizeoutput_1deb.jpg

Ray_G

Explorer
GMRS install is mostly done but some little tweaks wait on Amazon to facilitate. Testing of the system is ongoing with very favorable impressions.

In the meantime:
2ecc68d0221487487eb5b03c7c3c94c3.jpg

Oil change and tire rotation. Guess I'd gotten into some mud since the last iteration, skid plates were caked too.
f8fbe2221a12f8f24d4475504bd48088.jpg

Tired of the fountain of hot oil (& using the cardboard blocking trick), I took a page from this forum and installed a fumoto valve.
0198b976c138df95eeb483ab0836aabd.jpg

Goes together well.
93e10ffc6c02dbb13222e92b281a283e.jpg

Back out on the road-setting up on high ground to explore where a potential GMRS repeater will go since electronic line of sight throughout the properties is impossible.
894b50acf156605713e105d389614855.jpg

Call comes over from the kids 'dad we found bones! Come look!' What can be said, they found a deer carcass. At least they are outside, and washed their hands.
93a7b5e3c5f150f9fe595308ce809e80.jpg

That killed productivity for this period of daylight, playmates will go back out today.
5a6ae50738edce7331d878e6ed627605.jpg

Ray_G

Explorer
A few wrap up shots fm a good weekend in the hills.
4ddf76d4e5a69afd620f46506ad90dc0.jpg

The kiddo got better w/perspective as I came out of radio relay/repeater site survey.
f75aa3305184390dbedbddae7537b8ae.jpg

This is harder to explain. Think top gear style 'gifts' (meaning huge, unwieldy, and such) that 'had' to come home...

GMRS is a solid comm upgrade, dedicated post to follow.

DETOUR-GP

Rockstar
Some epic photos there Ray!!! both those discos look awesome!

I looked at bringing in a ProSpeed rack into SA and just cant justify paying those shipping fees

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz