NAS LR3 build with an overseas twist

Ray_G

Explorer
Initial reflection of KO2s (or really just pics from the weekend)

Some follow up shots from the weekend under the guise of an initial review of the KO2s that many are already running. On the balance the tire is, in my opinion, defiinitely superior to the Nitto Terra Grapplers in terms of on road traction, noise, ride quality, etc. I could be biased from having worn Terra Grapplers of course, and those weren't really bad tires-but I am admittedly a BFG fan. Does make me wish KM2s came in a size that would work but alas...

As we drove up on Fri some weather came in which saw for wet and eventually light snowfall on the highway transit. That had little bearing on the transit speed. I would note that the alignment has rectified the fairly frequent kicking on of the DSC on some of the mountain curves on secondary roads. As we got to the mountain the kids wanted to see what it was like further up so we shot past and went up the road that runs along the ridgeline.

Over the weekend the weather warmed so the snow was rapidly gone and added to the already water saturated soil. Thus it became clear during some tooling around that as great as KO2's are...they aren't MTs.

I can't really complain that they fill up quickly with what is basically 100 years of cow **** impregnated mud, nothing gets around the park easily when you combine water and the slickness of this particular strain of WV mud.

The rest of the weekend had flashes of spring which saw some mixed weather and thus just a chance for some more pics:

I rather like the tire carrier with the rim/KO2 vice the tire cover that was hiding the racing slick Terra Grappler so this is likely to stay as-is.

Many other Rover projects on the plate at the moment, few of them D3 related but in the near term it seems my front wheel bearing may be going. Or I could be a hypochondriac and just hearing noises that are so faint that aren't indicative of anything.

Ray_G

Explorer
Hmmm, I think I'll change a wheel bearing. Man is this a lot easier than a D1...
f7832e394f4878511cf329b3d8489430.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray_G

Explorer
Don't bring me down, today we are only worried about the front!

Ray_G

Explorer
f7510159211a980e602029f33278acae.jpg

My kiddo grabbed a couple of good shots as I was sitting on the roof watching the sunset.

495389f6644a956c39f9f4960c1fb1d4.jpg

StreetsofCompton

Adventurer
@Ray or anyone else who has used the rear window vents, have you noticed a difference in keeping the interior cool during warmer months? I've got a black/black D3 and dreading the ATL summer already...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Campndad

Essayons!!
Mine did not have rear vents and I had tinted the rear over again and had a strip on the front windshield. It kept it pretty cool however last year I did recharge the ac and it made a huge impact. With yours being black on black I would look at tinting the front with a clear luminar to reduce the heat coming in on front and tint the rest as dark as legal.

StreetsofCompton

Adventurer
Thanks for the windshield tip Campndad. The rest is tinted, actually looks darker than legal, got it that way from PO. Not sure of the %. I will look into the Luminar though.

Jwestpro

Explorer
@Ray or anyone else who has used the rear window vents, have you noticed a difference in keeping the interior cool during warmer months? I've got a black/black D3 and dreading the ATL summer already...

I was recently trying to source window vent/screens for LR3 but came up with nothing. What have you seen or found?

I have the Nata window vents and love them. I have a tan interior but also have seat covers (tan M&M). It's hot here in Hawaii year round so my vents are in quite a bit. They help regulate interior temps tramendously in my opinion. I also believe the seat covers keep the temps down from baking the leather. Leather radiates so much heat.

The others are right, tint will help your problem as well since you have the double whammy of black on black.

To answer your question; yes the window vents help a lot and mine stay in while I'm at work and the temps are much lower as the truck interior can breath. Also no issues with the monsoon rains we get. Everything stays perfectly dry.

One of my best purchases.

Contact Barbara Brew at 4x4 Overlander directly. The price includes VAT which we do not pay in the US so we get that off the piece. I think it was -20% VAT so take that off the price. She will ship them direct to your house. Much cheaper. Get a few sets and save on shipping and do a group buy if you need.

I think that came to £55.00-20% vat= £38.33 which is about $50USD depending on exchange. Shipping was not bad as she sends it however you want. I think my shipping was $18 and took a week. So at or around $75USD to your door.

Just confirmed my receipts and that is what I paid back then and I just checked the price is the same on the site today.

Make sure you get insect mesh as they make a set without the mesh inside the louvre. Without mesh is a few bucks cheaper but you get bugs for that price. Lol

I bought mine through them last year and it was a great experience.

Barbara@4x4overlander.com

http://www.4x4overlander.com/product/nakatanenga-security-window-vents-discovery-34-2/

Last edited:

DiscoDavis

Explorer
For everyone interested they are the Nakatenga window vents. All discovery models have the same rear window opening so the vents will work on D1, D2, RRC, D3, D4 etc. Like several others, I got them from Barb at 4xoverlander

I believe but have not confirmed the Defender ones are different. And yes to who asked they help quite a bit as long as there is at least a breeze to push a bit of air through. Shame SDO sells these but does not mention the actual brand name...

Colin Hughes

Explorer
I've sent her off another email. I didn't hear back the last time. Black on black does get quite hot in the summer and with an ARB fridge in the back, anything to keep the heat down is a bonus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz