NAS LR3 build with an overseas twist

SteveMfr

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks guys. Very generous of you!
We'll see what I can make happen next year. Will def try to make something work.

rlynch356

Defyota
wow totally missed the line of 3&4's :) we went up a couple of new trails - gotta love exploding diff's, snapped axles and the like in just one ride

Ray_G

Explorer
wow totally missed the line of 3&4's :) we went up a couple of new trails - gotta love exploding diff's, snapped axles and the like in just one ride

What sucks is that the event was just big enough, and short enough, to not get a chance to meet faces behind a lot of screen names. Did you roll up in the LR3?

Ray_G

Explorer
Housekeeping; minor mods and tweaks

Post MAR things got busy again so I've been off my game in terms of posting. For the most part the 3 keeps on plugging along so there isn't much to describe other than its a great damn truck. The switch to HD coils in the back was def worth it for towing and quite frankly just for her overall ride height/stance when laden. A few other housekeeping things:

Sharkfin antenna to cover up my nastyness-
fullsizeoutput_1cc8.jpg
Not having a factory nav, I just grabbed a generic Jaguar style off fleabay:
2017-09-24 15.14.43.jpg
Hollowed out fairly quickly with the dremel, slapped on. I don't care one way or the other about shark fins, but did want to make the entry into the roof a little less horrendous even though it is hidden by the roof rack
2017-09-24 15.14.49.jpg
So that now covers it up, protects the already sealed junction.
fullsizeoutput_1cc7.jpg

Following Wilderness First Aid there was some attention paid to the first aid kits in all the trucks and bags. Not only was it good to add in some things I now had a better appreciation for how to use (as well as adding in some SOAP notes printed on tyvek), it was useful to go through and check for medication expiration dates.
fullsizeoutput_1cce.jpg
fullsizeoutput_1ccf.jpg
Last big mod of late is to finally add Nakatenga vents to the truck. I'd put this off, then they were out of stock and we were all waiting for a new production run, and by the time I thought about it again we were nearing MAR. Since I knew I'd see Lav from Series Defender Outfitters there I just arranged to pick them up at the rally. Promptly installed, and then used in the rain we got on the last night, I've kept them in more than out just to keep air circulating out of the black interior. Great product and now I wonder why I waited so long. Also good to throw some business at a friend who has some great products in his lineup.
fullsizeoutput_1d3d.jpg

Ray_G

Explorer
Pano's fm MAR
b4462309a69a22613f484759a123c05c.jpg

9651f89d3ff603783d4dd12df64177d1.jpg

Got her detailed as a treat before a road trip (changed the air filter too, prob should have done that after getting back fm AD!)
4ff8cfffb4ff850480561afab2bb5244.jpg

Despite going on a vaca, the Rover parts railroad never rests
5ef11595bffb78b92ce94e203c0b9fce.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bebd66a31325795d310f222a50255c37.jpg

Hmmmm, not sure about the Vison-X pods. They are growing on me though. Wife, not so much. She advocated moving them to the opening in the winch bumper on either side of the lic plate.

Ray, what size BFG's are you running? Im ready to ditch the Nittos for KO2 for my daily 18" wheels, are you running near factory size? Looking to keep stock, or near stock for those and like the set up you have. Any lift or trimming required?

Cheers,

E

Ray_G

Explorer
Ray, what size BFG's are you running? Im ready to ditch the Nittos for KO2 for my daily 18" wheels, are you running near factory size? Looking to keep stock, or near stock for those and like the set up you have. Any lift or trimming required?

Cheers,

E

I'm running 275/65 KO2's; so a bit away from stock. That said, I love the size and significantly happier with them than I was with the Nittos. These are taller, but skinnier. They also ride/wear/sound/work a lot better from what I've noticed.

I don't have any rubbing/trimming with mine, but keep in mind she's a +2 coiler now so everything is set. Were I still EAS, I don't know that I'd have gone with the 275 just out of concern for EAS failure/bumpstop opportunities.
r-
Ray

I'm running 275/65 KO2's; so a bit away from stock. That said, I love the size and significantly happier with them than I was with the Nittos. These are taller, but skinnier. They also ride/wear/sound/work a lot better from what I've noticed.

I don't have any rubbing/trimming with mine, but keep in mind she's a +2 coiler now so everything is set. Were I still EAS, I don't know that I'd have gone with the 275 just out of concern for EAS failure/bumpstop opportunities.
r-
Ray

Awesome, thanks so much for the response. I'll probably stay close to stock for my 18" set up. Coils will most likely come when the EAS fails but right now its running fine.

Yeah, I've never been a fan of the Nitto, matter of fact my first offroad experience with them was a wash with two punctures. Soft and meant for the road only IMO. Can't wait to get back on BFGs.

Ray_G

Explorer
You won't regret the BFGs at all; my only regret was waiting so long but I couldn't just trash the Nittos with tread left on them.

Ray_G

Explorer
20470e970f434aa290d472d61501f559.jpg

Cleans up nice, and fit in just fine to go back to my alma mater. Always funny when the valets are like 'wow, nice Rover-looks like you actually use it'

jerdog53

Explorer
Definitely what I like about these Rovers is you can take them on respectable trails then clean them up and go downtown!

rlynch356

Defyota
I was in the White D90 w/ silver wolfs and the AT Horizon, parked over by Sarek's group area near the big top. I should be at RAW next year and there is the BRE winter Safari i may go to again in early 2018

You won't regret the BFGs at all; my only regret was waiting so long but I couldn't just trash the Nittos with tread left on them.

Same here! Not sure what I was thinking. At the time, I think Nitto was the only one making factory LR3 size and that’s why I went there. Great mileage on the Nitto if you keep it on the pavement. Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz