NAS LR3 build with an overseas twist

OH+D

Hi Ray, not necessary to bring it to the dealership to repair. They will likely just sub it out to a glass shop to remove and install a new lense (they are glued in with windshield adhesive).

Adam

Ray_G

Explorer
Hi Ray, not necessary to bring it to the dealership to repair. They will likely just sub it out to a glass shop to remove and install a new lense (they are glued in with windshield adhesive).

Adam

Dealer actually offered a good price on the part and has a glass guy that comes there so I figured why not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray_G

Explorer
e2ef4b4fa33dbce5243c0964375fb10e.jpg

2nd week in a row...this time prepped to go do a Wilderness First Aid course at Twin Mtn w/the wife and eldest.

Ray_G

Explorer
One more strap and you have a Union Jack.

Trust me...I'm going to find a reason to cross strap.

A few shots from the weekend at Twin Mountain attending the MEDIC SOLO Wilderness First Aid course which was phenomenal. More to follow when the course instructor posts pics, we got a little busy during the best parts so I don't have great action shots. That said, getting the wife and teenage daughter out for it was an incredibly positive training experience together.

Campsite; rollover demo vic in background.

d1ecea898a92cc6e8d42c13a07fc491f.jpg

So that others may live...
bb29d646d7104e96c0cf7e19850d45f2.jpg

Family fun.
72e50cfe004aaa2e382cc314a917d511.jpg

78b425b06a33e93a0c71eecad184ef12.jpg

Good use of the volcano, smores on the left, camp fire tending on the right.
a32c0e89ac399b0dd0ff1df6df13a62e.jpg

Fantastic training venue:
dd445d578b2a40898c311178a7f3638d.jpg

One shot fm final drill I managed to take (was secondary care provider at that point, basket has my 16yr old role playing a vehicle occupant that was ejected, unconscious and unresponsive w/head injury and positive MOI. Not fun to contemplate as a father.
c8e56cca994919c55d3de8648bfc9ece.jpg

Truck packed up.
95fddb3b758baf4ce39bb994d4d61172.jpg

More to follow in a detailed report, bottom line if you have ever considered a WFA/WFR course, DO IT.

Ray_G

Explorer
As alluded previously, this weekend my wife, daughter, and I joined with other like minded folks to attend a Wilderness First Aid course instructed by MEDIC SOLO (https://www.solowfa.com/). Two days of class that essentially takes basic first aid across a wide spectrum and makes it especially applicable to folks who could find themselves outside the 'golden hour' of medical response due to location, activity, etc. Or basically right in the grid square of folks like us. Difficult to understate how good it was to take the course. I've had some medical training in the past, focused mostly on stopping the bleeding, ensuring airway is open, stabilizing, treat for shock and evacuate (i.e. military self aid/buddy aid/etc). This was more, and better, given our hobbies. As the pictures illustrate one of the great things about the venue was the ability to tailor the final exercise for a vehicle rollover which was applicable to most of the attendees. That, coupled with Twin Mountain's facilities (pavilion, water, shower/bathroom trailer) and location (2hr from DC, 1 hr off interstate 81) all converge to make this an excellent experience.

The wife and I are now keenly looking at budgeting the time/expense for Wilderness First Responder sometime in the next year or so. For folks that are interested, I get the sense that MEDIC SOLO may come back to Twin Mountain in the future.

Pictures!:

Final exercise (vehicle rollover, passenger ejections/mountain bike rider injured fm incident), initial response where occupants were pretzeled up inside, one ejection was under the vehicle, etc

1ed5cb28cefec96512b37417cd23d6bd.jpg

Absurd action shots (that's actually me w/the black bump helmet)
c681347791a9a2a46224ba53125a4e52.jpg

d1d7949bb299c6ebfb32831b31ab4a60.jpg

fccb8d47cd446203d66a3544773286b6.jpg

A better shot of the kiddo role playing
768b6204d1ab8e4d54f1b2ec0e50a83a.jpg

Earlier in the class. Hard to understate how great of a venue Twin Mountain is.
1ebce516e44abb6ed94b87b122e1cac9.jpg

86fa47b7e253dc341a98ca57141dfcab.jpg

3fea0dc7e31289a49b0c093c5eaa2553.jpg

A new sticker.
ab64b0d65bc97414b10fd3641e4c5406.jpg

Last edited:
"I've received enough medical training" --- said no smart person EVER!

Looks like a great set up. We put on an off-road training and medical package for our NGO staff before they fly over to their sites in Africa. We try and get over their for annual refresh in country as well.

It's good to see others taking this stuff serious. I'm going to research these guys and see if I can attend and add their knowledge to our training package.

There honestly is never enough good quality training to take advantage of.

Congrats to you and the family on the course.

PM sent!

OH+D

That's a real Discovery XD in the rollover demo. Very surprised that no one saved it before being used like this.

Adam

Ray_G

Explorer
That's a real Discovery XD in the rollover demo. Very surprised that no one saved it before being used like this.

Adam

It was a real XD; was a long way from saving long before it ended up on its side. I bought it several years ago for the rack-paid basically what an SD low rack is worth for the whole truck (first indication of condition). Rust throughout the entire truck was chronic. Drivetrain was decimated (4.0 was dead, ZF had had a coolant leak and likely had been run at over temp for too long, etc). Ultimately she was stripped for parts but the assessment by everyone that looked at it was that all that made her special at this point was the yellow paint. Briefly considered a body/frame swap but honestly the paint wasn't that good (some of that shows up in the pics) and given the time sink...well, she is in use now as you can see.

Ray_G

Explorer
Better than just being scrapped!

Adam

Adam-
That was our calculus too. I knew plenty of purists would be upset that a 97 XD was being used like that, but also am cognizant that the truck went for sale for a song and nobody jumped on it to save her when it was listed, nor when I was parting her (many parts went to other XD owners actually to help those get back to right). Given that it was clearly a NJ truck for a long time (Princeton parking stickers attest), rust had killed her.

So now she lives on, so others may live so to speak.
r-
Ray

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles