NAS LR3 build with an overseas twist

jaamrode

Wonder if it's something I could change with the Gap tool

If you hook the gap tool to the computer there is a setting to change the tire radius or diameter, I forget which one. I have never seen this setting on the dash screen just when attached to a pc.

Ray_G

Explorer
Urbanization and other updates

Been awhile. The move seems to have run its course and routine is being established. The truck continues to plug along, though moving into a townhouse with a shorter garage does mean that any overhead mods will have to be very carefully thought out indeed.
fullsizeoutput_1c5b.jpg

The truck could fit in the garage, but just barely when all the other stuff like workbenches and the like were moved in. Thus it became time to see about removing the rear swing away for normal day to day driving.
2017-07-15 13.33.20.jpg
After popping the lock nut and plate it took a bit to loosen the arm on the bearings...but we pushed through.
fullsizeoutput_1c62.jpg
My able assistant greased the bearings back up and then we used a piece of 2" PVC to cover them, painting it black after measurements were taken and it was cut down.
fullsizeoutput_1c60.jpg
All told, not a bad way to make it useful in the normal day to day (spare back under truck as you can see), but easy enough to get back on now.
fullsizeoutput_1c5d.jpg
Oh, and these showed up for future installation :) (OME HD coils for the back)
2017-07-06 17.51.19.jpg

Ray_G

Explorer
Posting this just bc it was a fun panoramic I forgot I'd taken.
42ce9e71067466badc6d6bdb98f8b932.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray_G

Explorer
AB trailer wiring harness & towing while coil sprung & using the rhino hitch

Truck continues to do well with her duties, miles tend to be some local errands and then weekend trips since I can use public transit to get to work these days.

An opportunity popped up about 10 days ago to buy a 1954 Series 1; the LR model that my wife had always wanted. The truck starts/stops, was at the right price, and was only up in Long Island...so $ was sent and then yesterday we went and grabbed it.

In order to do so I needed to add a wiring harness into the mix so I could tow. I turned to AB's in house solution which was cheaper than the OEM alternative.
AB wiring kit Super simple install, only issues I had were the lowering of my very tightly wedged in 275 KO2 to get more space. The video highlights all the main parts. A solid piece of equipment at a good price. Went so fast we barely took any pics.
fullsizeoutput_1c66.jpg
We set off with our rented Uhaul car hauler. Some were less excited than others.
fullsizeoutput_1c67.jpeg
Made it to Long Island and put eyes on this:
fullsizeoutput_1c68.jpg
Thus happy wife.
fullsizeoutput_1c69.jpg
More substantively as you can see the coils do sag a little with the load. A more balanced trailer may side step that a little but the Uhaul setup dictates it being that far forward for the tire straps. Unclear how much switching to the HD coils will do, I imagine that opportunity to test will happen in Oct when the desire is to take the S1 to the Mid Atlantic Rally-between now and then I'll get the coils on the back. Regardless the truck handled towing the load fine, literally no issues at all. What a great tow vehicle. Wiring harness worked perfectly and the Rhino Hitch remains a superb piece of kit to say the least. Got a fair amount of thumbs ups on the way back down the mid atlantic. Something appropriate about a D3 towing an S1.
fullsizeoutput_1c6a.jpg

Ray_G

Explorer
HD rear coils

Got a chance over Labor Day to do an oil change and throw the rear HD coils on.
Getting the 'old' out wasn't all that hard, what is becoming 'the usual' in terms of rear coil removal-small hands help for the back top nut.
fullsizeoutput_1c8a.jpg
Using a facility with a strut machine def helps make the process easier/safer...even if the wife takes absurd pics amidst the process.
2017-09-03 11.39.10.jpg
New HD setup.
2017-09-03 13.07.31.jpg
Reciprocation of absurd pics of wife, letting her smaller hands finish the top nuts after we got the bottom bolted back in.
2017-09-03 13.25.13.jpg
A quick shot after we wrapped up, still riding high. I expect it to settle over time-will be keen to see how it handles towing the S1.
2017-09-03 13.51.44.jpg

Ray_G

Explorer
Rotopax on the prospeed's aft section

As the 'tis the season pic hinted toward, the back of the rack now houses a couple of 1 gal rotopax's. Water at the moment, and just singles. Possible double up to either carry chainsaw intended gas/oil mix cans or more water eventually. I'd always intended to put some rotopax back there and with the rear swing away currently off and the truck doing more camping than anything it helps alleaviate internal storage while also carrying easy to use water containers.

Mounting tapped into the usual run to Home Depot, in this case for some 1" insulated cable clamps to hold the rotopax mount down.
fullsizeoutput_1c91.jpg
fullsizeoutput_1c90.jpg
Test fitting after the first one.
fullsizeoutput_1c92.jpg
Both mounts now attached.
fullsizeoutput_1c94.jpg
Now housing 1 gal rotopax.
fullsizeoutput_1c95.jpg
Loaded out with the maxtrax on and with two pelis down the centerline (holds our tents and the volcano setup)
fullsizeoutput_1c96.jpg
While I'm not happy about the extra inches on top the reality of the S1 is that the truck now lives outside most of the time. Plus with the fall wheeling season upon us the maxtrax were going back on anyway, so the clerance issue is already there. Will prob seek to get the double handle and add on either fuel/oil mix or more water at some point. Rotopax worked well this weekend and 1gal is light and handy enough for all age/size campers to manipulate. The mounts are secure to the rack with the clamps. Hardware is overkill (gr 8) & nylocks to ensure they don't vibrate loose. The rotopax mounts themselves are superb as always.

rlynch356

Defyota
How do you like the coils? I'm playing with my lr3 setup via the iid tool (running sya kit and proud rhino lift rods with 33-12.5/18's)

Colin Hughes

Explorer
Coils saved me a tow today :) I've got a transmission fault, it's wiring, and before I had a chance to get it looked at, the whole Christmas tree came on today but with the coils, it didn't drop to the bump stops and I was able to drive it to the shop.

Ray_G

Explorer
How do you like the coils? I'm playing with my lr3 setup via the iid tool (running sya kit and proud rhino lift rods with 33-12.5/18's)

I have no regrets about the swap. It made sense for my application and where the truck was in its lifespan.
That isn't to say the EAS isn't an excellent system all told, just that as they get past about a decade most aren't just looking at the AMK upgrade, but also likely the need to swap the struts too (friends who stuck with EAS deep into the 150k realm seemed to have a dramatically harsher ride than I did), not to mention the EAS blocks and such. In the end the loss of performance with coils is relative, at best-for my application. I know guys on the west side of the country that swear by the need to have cross linking truly employable, or for those that use it for heavy towing, need access height b/c of garages or midgets in the family, etc-there are legit reasons to keep EAS.

But I love my coil truck, and as Colin notes, it is one less variable that will see you pogo sticking (at best, at worst-for some w/o SYA-you may just be stuck or doing a lot of troubleshooting).

I will be keen to see how she does towing with the HD's in the back b/c that will be happening for MAR.
r-
Ray

Ray_G

Explorer
Weekend shakedown, I mean shakeout

Title and the previous shot of the loaded up roof rack point toward the first good camping trip of the late summer/early fall. Or as my wife calls it, our shakedown run. Or maybe I call it that and she rolls her eyes at me.

Truck loaded up, side shot illustrating the stance with the HD's in the back...gut feeling is this is better than I saw with a laden truck and the MDs. Could still be settling but in the end the spring rate is helping, IMHO. This is with the truck fully loaded up in the back with a pair of wolfpack bins, 2 1600 sized pelis on the roof along with the maxtrax, 2 gal of water, as well as sleeping bags for 3 & duffle bags for each. Oh, and 3 long guns, associated ammo and targets for the range too. Not to mention the normal tools, recovery gear, fridge, etc that stays in the vehicle.
fullsizeoutput_1c9f.jpg
An 'action' shot of breakfast going down on the volcano. In this case using propane for fuel and cast iron to fry up some potatoes and onions.
fullsizeoutput_1ca2.jpg
That was followed by more cast iron that cooked sausage and egg. Relevant to the vehicle b/c that's one of two rooftop pelis (volcano) and a portion of a wolfpack (cast iron) that is worth every pound.
fullsizeoutput_1ca1.jpg
Normal campfire activities. The not so little one put down three books over the transit and time in the woods.
fullsizeoutput_1c9e.jpg
She has annoucned that she wants a semi auto now...:/
fullsizeoutput_1ca0.jpg
Would rather carry firewood on the outside, even if that means handing it up....
fullsizeoutput_1c9b.jpg
Cause if you aren't careful, some clumsy idiot (me) will let a piece slip as you toss it up on the back and the wood smashes right into your brake light. So that will be a fun repair via the dealership. Awesome.
2017-09-10 10.50.54.jpg

So the season is upon us. Next weekend Wilderness First Aid, and then a few weeks till the ROAV Mid Atlantic Rally. Need to program my radios, fit some more tie downs to the prospeed, but beyond that she is ready to play.
r-
Ray

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier