How do you carry your fly rods?

thefishhawk

Adventurer
Depends on where you are at too...rigging up a dry fly is one thing. I may not be in a hurry but it's one less thing to deal with, it's nice to roll up with a double nymph rig, dry fly rod, and a streamer rod or sinking line all ready to go if needed. Certain places around here you might be re-rigging several times as conditions change during the day, it can be nicer to just carry around two rods instead.

OutOfBounds

Adventurer
Speak for yourself :)

I only have 30 minutes during lunch, I try to get as much time on the water as possible

I barely have time to heat lunch in the microwave and eat at a relaxing pace with a 30min lunch break, never mind go fishing. You must work right on the river. LOL. I'm an hour from anywhere worth casting a line...

Two-Wheeled Explorer

Proceeding on...
Backcountry fishing set-up on my Cogburn CB4 fat-bike. Setup includes a Cogburn Gear Rack attached to a Blackburn Outpost cargo rack Pole and reel in a Cabelas 30" rod case. From the rack up; Jandd Rack Pack II containing cameras (still and video) sunblock, bug spray (Natrapel and DEET), bike tools, SPOT Tracker, energy bars, car keys, other small items. Also, on reverse side is are Velcro straps designed for an air pump. Since my pump is mounted on the downtube, I carry a collapsible Shakespeare rod with a Daiwa Silvercast ultralight spinning reel there; Wood frame soft net for C&R; Cabelas SoftBox tackle box with both flies, leaders, tipets, spare reel, and some spinning lures. I also carry the camo hydration pack seen in the background on the truck tailgate, containing 2 ltrs. of water, survival kit, rain gear, Gerber "Cool Tool" bicycling multi-tool, headlamp, batteries for GPS (unit on handlebars), first aid kit, Band-Aid box, bandana, map and lensatic compass, and a couple more energy bars.

Sometimes stash a heavy-duty bike lock in the Rack Pack if I will be bushwacking downstream a ways from my bike.

BCFishing1R.jpg

Ride and cast safe,
Hans

MR. ED

Observer
SWEET BIKE

That is an awesome set-up for a bike. I need to pimp out my new Krampus a little bit to get some weight off my back. Great inspiration!

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
I barely have time to heat lunch in the microwave and eat at a relaxing pace with a 30min lunch break, never mind go fishing. You must work right on the river. LOL. I'm an hour from anywhere worth casting a line...

Yep :)

lRu58kr.png

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Ha! Speak of the devil. Right after I left that, I went to lunch to fish. Personal best for that river, 16" :)

bmt8eJ0.jpg

Beamer pilot

Explorer
Right there between the kayaks

Fly rods switched with ocean surf fishing rods depending on location.:REOutIceFishing:
Never an issue in the ABS pipe when tip is wrapped in a bandanna.
03E70BB7-6E8C-4590-AF7F-E171FAA148DB.jpg

Two-Wheeled Explorer

Proceeding on...
That is an awesome set-up for a bike. I need to pimp out my new Krampus a little bit to get some weight off my back. Great inspiration!

I keep hearing good things about the Krampus. Surly's ECR would have been my second choice if I hadn't fallen in love with the Cogburn at first ride. I had a Pugs before that, and really liked it, but the CB4 handles "different". If you asked me what that means, precisely, I couldn't really tell you. I do know that if the Cogburn had come out about 6 months earlier, I never would have bought my Volcanic custom MTB.

smlobx

Wanderer
Fly rods switched with ocean surf fishing rods depending on location.:REOutIceFishing:
Never an issue in the ABS pipe when tip is wrapped in a bandanna.
View attachment 294865

Beamer pilot- can you tell me more about your trailer. I'm looking for something to take our yaks with plus some extra storage and yours looks interesting.
PM me if you'd rather.
Thanks!

Beamer pilot

Explorer
The trailer was a factory build from Home Depot, I added a 6500 lbs axle (only one I could find for a Chevy bolt pattern) then bolted 33s left over from a previous truck build. A local welder built the fenders and factory truck boxes were bolted on. The kayaks rest on a factory truck box rack. As you can see, it's just an assembly of manufactured parts that just happen to fit perfectly toghether. I pull it behind the 1 ton Dodge or the Jeep JKU, tracks like an arrow and has handled some rough ground without issue.
Unfortunately I just got a new I pad and my pics won't post for some reason. I'll keep trying.

Cheers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier