Still researching - some GM specific questions: GMT 800 platform vs. 900?

BPMOU

Observer
I can only share my experience with our 2002 Suburban 2500 4x4 8.1 V8. We purchased it used in 2011 with 115k on the clock for 5k. It was a beast of a vehicle but reliable. MPG was 10 mpg highway or city and it drank fuel. When we got it, it needed new shocks, and new front end IFS parts. I ended up buying all moog parts and bilstein shocks and new front hubs and steering box and connecting pieces and replaced all of them. I was about 1,100 in parts and it was good to go. My only concern with the 8.1 was that I had a couple of broken exhaust head studs which seemed to be common. I didn't experience any leaks while I had it but it would have been a bit of money to fix them if they did.

Outside of that maintenance it was a great truck up to the 165k when we traded it for a TDI wagon. Really regret trading it as we are back in the market for a suburban. It was a great rig but was thirsty as a family hauler when fuel was around $4.00 a gallon.

rayra

Expedition Leader
we're getting a solid 14mpg in mixed driving with both our Sub and Tahoe, both have the 5.3L / 4l60E drivetrain and it's done everything we've demanded of it without trouble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz