Dodge Ram 5500 motorhome

Healeyjet

Explorer
Thanks S2DM!
No feedback on the tires yet. The camper should be done at ITB in a month then off to get the tires and wheels installed. After that we will do some testing as there will probably be snow on the ground. Our first road trip will likely be through the mountains from here to Vancouver so we should get a taste of their highway characteristics.
Ward

java

Expedition Leader
If your ever in the Seattle area when it's done I want to see it! I may have to make a trip up to Vancouver just it see it.....

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

S2DM

Adventurer
Thanks S2DM!
No feedback on the tires yet. The camper should be done at ITB in a month then off to get the tires and wheels installed. After that we will do some testing as there will probably be snow on the ground. Our first road trip will likely be through the mountains from here to Vancouver so we should get a taste of their highway characteristics.
Ward

Are you going to re-gear for the 42's?

Healeyjet

Explorer
Java, sounds great.

S2DM, we ordered the truck with 4.44's and are told this should be perfect even with the 42's. We will have to see in real world driving though. These trucks are built to tow 30,000 lbs so the "little" camper on the back should ride along nicely.

Ward

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
Ward, do you want me to get the tires siped? HUGE difference on icy roads, no loss of tread life. Will definitely make a difference on the blocky tread pattern.

Healeyjet

Explorer
Photo updates

The fuel fills and DEF fill installed. The compartment behind the fuel fills will be home to the shore hookups for power and water, etc. It will also have hose reels on the inside of the door that will hold water hoses and cable for tv. It will also be home to the exterior shower.

Here is the fuel fills from the inside. These will be located under the false floor in the bedroom area created by the wheel wells

This is the box that holds the air suspension compressor and dryer.

Healeyjet

Explorer
The Suspension compressor I believe is a Viair and as of right now it does not have an extra air chuck for airing up the tires but that will be added as soon as I have the opportunity once it comes from ITB. I may even get ITB to add it.
Ward

xracer144

Adventurer
Photo updates

The fuel fills and DEF fill installed. The compartment behind the fuel fills will be home to the shore hookups for power and water, etc. It will also have hose reels on the inside of the door that will hold water hoses and cable for tv. It will also be home to the exterior shower.

Here is the fuel fills from the inside. These will be located under the false floor in the bedroom area created by the wheel wells

This is the box that holds the air suspension compressor and dryer.

Hey Ward, are those factory Dodge filler necks that they are using for your fuel tanks or something custom?

Healeyjet

Explorer
H4rdflip, i would love to take the credit for building it but all I can take credit for is the design portion. ITB truck bodies in Coaldale is building it to our plan. I had a look this morning and it is coming along great. I will have some pictures to add When I get to a computer.
XRacer, they are a stock ITB part from be parts room. I am trying to get more detals for you.
Ward

adam88

Explorer
I stop by this thread every view days to check out the photos. Coming along nicely Ward! The fuel neck fillers are SWEET! Took me a few minutes to figure out why there were 3. I am guessing the truck has 2 diesel tanks (main and auxiliary) and then the 3rd is for the DEF fluid? How much diesel does the whole truck hold? Really can't wait to see the tires on it (I bet you can't either). It will instantly change the whole look of the truck.

I never asked, what are you doing for the sides paint wise? Are you painting it a colour? Are you going to do a fancy vehicle wrap (earthroamer style)?

Healeyjet

Explorer
Correct. Between the two fuel tanks we will have 80 gallons or 280 litres of fuel.
The exterior of the camper will be painted Chrysler PS2 the same silver as the cab.
We considered a vehicle wrap but it is about $4000 so we have decided against it for now.
Ward

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior