Dodge Ram 5500 motorhome

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
As I tell all my students anything cloud based is only free as long as the company wants it to be. You are just going from one problem to another by switching as I can see millions of others doing the same thing till the next company finds it to expensive to keep hosting for free.

I use my company web site for my hosting but it really is not that expensive to get your own web hosting site then you can not only do your own hosting of images, you can run your own Email address from it, host your own blog or web site, etc. A lot more control then the free services!

Healeyjet

Explorer
Mike, we have our own server at work but I don't know how to copy an image that may be hosted on the server and link it to the forum. I have no problem using the computer resources we already have and totally agree with you that nothing free will last forever. I need to find a solution going forward to not have this problem again. I also think the TOS for Photobucket should not have been retroactive to photos already hosted there.
Ward

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
I use Google drive but you will need to "convert the link" (I use this webpage). It's kind of a pain in the *** but I trust Google... (maybe I'm making a big mistake! :eek: )

Photomike

Mike, we have our own server at work but I don't know how to copy an image that may be hosted on the server and link it to the forum. I have no problem using the computer resources we already have and totally agree with you that nothing free will last forever. I need to find a solution going forward to not have this problem again. I also think the TOS for Photobucket should not have been retroactive to photos already hosted there.
Ward

Here is how I do it.....

I downloaded the free program FileZilla

Then under my website www.firstchoicephoto.ca I created a folder in FileZilla called tc (stood for truck camper when I had one but I still use the same folder)

I then upload all my images to that folder in JPEG with whatever name that I want

Then to access all you need to do is to link to it such as http://www.firstchoicephoto.ca/tc/bikecarrier001.jpg

bikecarrier001.jpg

Then it shows up on any site that you add the link to.

If you are like me and you want it more organized you can create sub folders to store things in and then you would link them the same way

http://www.firstchoicephoto.ca/tc/truckcamper/9.jpg

9.jpg

I then copy the folder every once in a while to a local drive so if anything happens I have all the files in the folders. If you do anything like change a hosting provider as long as you keep the same URL you are good to go once you upload the folder as the www.#########.ca will still be the same and will still look for the same folder. If you change the URL that is a lot more work.

Last edited:

Photomike

Tried it several times and nothing. Is the image set to public? That is the only thing I can think of.

Last edited:

Photomike

I did some more checking and I did see a post that Google does not allow hot linking to save on the use of bandwidth. Not sure how true that is but would makes sense as doing so drives bandwidth usage up to insane levels over just the standard uploading and downloading.

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
Let me try:

uc

Works! Make sure of the following:

• Go in your Google drive account and find the photo you want to share.
  • Double-click the photo so that it appears full size in the middle of the screen.
  • Click on the 3 dots at the top right to open the menu and choose "Share".
  • Make sure the top right "Get shareable link" is on.
  • Click "Copy link".
  • Open another tab or webpage and go to the Google Drive Direct Link Generator.
  • Paste the link from your google drive to the "Enter your sharing URL" field.
  • Click on the "Create direct link" button.
  • Click anywhere in the "Output link" field. It should be fully selected. If not, press Ctrl-A.
  • Press Ctrl-C (or right click and click on "Copy").
  • Come back to the Expedition Portal and click on the "Insert Image" button.
  • In the pop-up, go in the "From URL" tab.
  • Click in the field and press Ctrl-V (or right click and click on "Paste").
  • Click "Ok"

That should work. Sorry if I went in a bit too much detail... I'll just refer back to this post if ever anybody else needs it.

Healeyjet

Explorer
Test 13 finally works.

Mat Mobile, I thank you for taking the time to spell it out for me in such great terms, ones I can understand. I was trying to mix Google Chrome with Explorer. I finally switched over to my laptop and did it ll in Google Chrome and followed your instructions. Success!

Thanks again!!

uc

Ward

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
Test 13 finally works.

Mat Mobile, I thank you for taking the time to spell it out for me in such great terms, ones I can understand. I was trying to mix Google Chrome with Explorer. I finally switched over to my laptop and did it ll in Google Chrome and followed your instructions. Success!

Thanks again!!

Ward

My pleasure! It took me a while to get it right too. I've always had that suspicion that Photobucket would find a way to make more money. And once the procedure is written, it's easy to copy and paste for others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier