Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laurel Lakes- Mammoth CA Roll Over

Exclamation Laurel Lakes- Mammoth CA Roll Over

Hi everyone, apologies in advance if this is in the wrong spot on the forum. I just wanted to put a safety advisory out for folks traveling in this area. There was a fatal roll over a couple days ago off the top switch back going into Laurel Lake #2. There are quite a few drivers who go into this area with low experience levels & or vehicles that are marginal. If going to Laurel Lakes, please operate within your capabilities and use the big turnout on that top/last switchback when dropping down to the lake. It is not worth the bragging rights to try a turn like that with the least amount of backing or no spotter....respect the terrain- if not, you may be making some unexpected turns all the way to the bottom

Wow, I've been doing that road since I was in high school. First 3 times doing the switch back I had an automatic transmission and felt pretty safe. However first time I went up there in a truck with a manual I chickened out and just parked there at the top. Finally did it in the manual tranny about a month later. I always wondered if a roll off from that spot would be fatal.
    I just read he wasn't wearing a seatbelt.

I suppose I should find it on a map, not that I'm anywhere near there.
    1992 FG, 1994 Hallmark camper.
    1961 CJ3b, V6,OD,PTO winch etc.
    1969 Jeep Commando.
    1998 Harley.
    2, 1982 XT 550's
    1953 Buick Special, that I get out about once a year, 62K original miles.

Check out this thread for pics of the switchback. I used the landing both going down and coming up to get around that switchback, wouldn't even consider trying to actually make the turn. Very sad news.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...t=laurel+lakes
    ----------
    2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited Auto, 4.10, AEV 2.5" lift, Goodyear DuraTrac 285/70/17 on AEV Pintlers, sPod w/Aeroforce, Trucklites, Rigid D2's, Vector JKE Dock, Dual Batteries, ARB Deluxe Bull Bar, ARB rear bumper. Superwinch EPi9.0s, Gobi Stealth, ARB On-board air.
    2002 BMW R1150 GSA with lots of stuff also!
    M101A1 Build

So basically what he did was try to do the turn on one try and didn't reverse or do a 3 point turn?

Here's more info from another forum, hopefully it's ok to link it. Apparently the guy was the new ER doctor for the Mammoth Lakes Hospital.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?2...-Mammoth-Lakes
    ----------
    2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited Auto, 4.10, AEV 2.5" lift, Goodyear DuraTrac 285/70/17 on AEV Pintlers, sPod w/Aeroforce, Trucklites, Rigid D2's, Vector JKE Dock, Dual Batteries, ARB Deluxe Bull Bar, ARB rear bumper. Superwinch EPi9.0s, Gobi Stealth, ARB On-board air.
    M101A1 Build

----------
    M101A1 Build

Quote Originally Posted by dstock View Post
    Check out this thread for pics of the switchback. I used the landing both going down and coming up to get around that switchback, wouldn't even consider trying to actually make the turn. Very sad news.
    What do you mean by "use the landing" ?

Quote Originally Posted by SunFlower View Post
    What do you mean by "use the landing" ?
    If you look at the expo thread linked in post #4, there are some pics of the switchback. There is a landing that is flat and level at the switchback that you can pull forward onto, then backup and make a 3 point turn, to line up to go down the rest of the trail. Same on the way back up. This avoids making the very off-camber turn in the middle of the switchback.
    ----------
    M101A1 Build

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast