Laurel Lakes- Mammoth CA Roll Over

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
I get the shivers when I hear about this mining road. I went up there one time in September of 1965 in a 1949 Willys SOA Ute wagon/Chevy V-8, 3-speed manual, 5.38 gears, Dana 27 front/Dana 41 (6 spline) offset rearend, Studebaker 33% Overdrive, great big 7.00/16 tires. This was one of our very first 4x4 trips. It was hair raising but I had low enough gearing to make the steep grades. We met a stout looking mining truck bringing down ore in compound low. My first wife, Judy and I set up a tent on a flat spot near the top and were treated to a September snow storm overnight. She was a good sport, but was dead within a year of Hodgkins disease. I was 22 and a widower. Now at 72, I've lived a whole lifetime since Judy and I were there together. Funny how I haven't even thought of Laurel Lakes for a half century.
regards, as always, jefe

MossLager

I was up at Laurel Lakes last weekend and saw the 2007 4Runner that Mark was driving. It was at the bottom of the hill, nestled into a bowl. It left a yard sale of parts as it rolled from the switchback turn to the base. The day I saw it I sat in awe of what he must of thought as he went over. It did appear he tried to do the switch back without using the pad to 3 pt turn. In the apex of that turn there is now a large boulder not seen in the other thread showing pix. It is possible as he tried to make the turn that the boulder got under his right rear tire and pitched him over. At the time I was there his roof rack was laying about 30 feet or so from the wreck. Amazingly when I looked close at the wreck it made me wonder if he had his seatbelt on if there was any chance of him surviving vs being ejected. The drivers portion of the cabin was still very intact. The rest of the vehicle was destroyed. Someone had already stripped all the interior, dash etc from the vehicle when I was there. The following day my friends went up to the lakes and said there were some shady looking guys with a saw-zall cutting it up. Not sure if they were hired to do this or not but its about the only way they are getting that 4Runner off that mountain from where its at. The pix my friends showed me were much different than mine below. The 4Runner by then had no doors or roof and was nearly cut in half.

BC33196D-6F41-4364-BFFD-4AFE30E86708_zpsvzeh0tav.jpg

A look up to the road from where the 4Runner stopped rolling.

7B0E89CA-1641-48CF-98CA-A5F2637E15D7_zpsj1l65c45.jpg

02DCF7C0-2FEC-40CF-B0D3-C8DD70BABD94_zpsgvykc9bg.jpg

Last edited:

unkamonkey

Explorer
Years ago we would see the remains of cars off of the side of mountain passes. Particulary Berthoud and Cameron passes. They are all gone now. I suppose it isn't PC to leave them there now.

SunFlower

Adventurer
Those were mine. No luck btw, natural trout in that lake and they only like flies it appears.

I have fished that lake many times. I believe the regulations there are no bait but I could be wrong. Very nice gold trout there. Did you fish anywhere else while in the area ? I am considering going to Convict later this week.

MossLager

I have fished that lake many times. I believe the regulations there are no bait but I could be wrong. Very nice gold trout there. Did you fish anywhere else while in the area ? I am considering going to Convict later this week.

You are correct, artificial lures and barbless hooks only. I tried my luck at Convict, Mary, Mamie, George and Sherwin Creek. I skipped Twin based off feedback I got from others. I had pretty poor luck but my buddies hit their limit nearly every day at George.

kovawa

I've driven that trail at least a dozen times in the last few years.... that last switch back above the lakes makes me nervous every time I've had to negotiate it. I drive a 2006 Tundra DC 4X4, so the longer wheel base makes that trail even more of a challenge. I'll be up there again on July 18th, and really hoping any traces of that horrible accident is long gone.

ALLAROUND

Rolled vehicle was removed

I've driven that trail at least a dozen times in the last few years.... that last switch back above the lakes makes me nervous every time I've had to negotiate it. I drive a 2006 Tundra DC 4X4, so the longer wheel base makes that trail even more of a challenge. I'll be up there again on July 18th, and really hoping any traces of that horrible accident is long gone.

Hi there, from some of the posts here and what I have heard locally is that it was dismantled and hauled out. It did need to be cut up to finish the task. The weather patterns through that area recently have included downpours and plenty of lightning. Hopefully the conditions are nice when you get up there. AA

kovawa

Hi there, from some of the posts here and what I have heard locally is that it was dismantled and hauled out. It did need to be cut up to finish the task. The weather patterns through that area recently have included downpours and plenty of lightning. Hopefully the conditions are nice when you get up there. AA

LOL- I got up there, fished a couple of hours, and then down the trail, just before the sky started dropping table grape sized hail. It was a good time.... excellent fishing..... and not a trace of that white 4Runner remained. Whoever did the cleanup, did a great job!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles