Laurel Lakes- Mammoth CA Roll Over

ALLAROUND

Hi everyone, apologies in advance if this is in the wrong spot on the forum. I just wanted to put a safety advisory out for folks traveling in this area. There was a fatal roll over a couple days ago off the top switch back going into Laurel Lake #2. There are quite a few drivers who go into this area with low experience levels & or vehicles that are marginal. If going to Laurel Lakes, please operate within your capabilities and use the big turnout on that top/last switchback when dropping down to the lake. It is not worth the bragging rights to try a turn like that with the least amount of backing or no spotter....respect the terrain- if not, you may be making some unexpected turns all the way to the bottom :(

SunFlower

Adventurer
Wow, I've been doing that road since I was in high school. First 3 times doing the switch back I had an automatic transmission and felt pretty safe. However first time I went up there in a truck with a manual I chickened out and just parked there at the top. Finally did it in the manual tranny about a month later. I always wondered if a roll off from that spot would be fatal.
I just read he wasn't wearing a seatbelt.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
So basically what he did was try to do the turn on one try and didn't reverse or do a 3 point turn?

SunFlower

Adventurer
Check out this thread for pics of the switchback. I used the landing both going down and coming up to get around that switchback, wouldn't even consider trying to actually make the turn. Very sad news.

What do you mean by "use the landing" ?

dstock

Explorer
What do you mean by "use the landing" ?

If you look at the expo thread linked in post #4, there are some pics of the switchback. There is a landing that is flat and level at the switchback that you can pull forward onto, then backup and make a 3 point turn, to line up to go down the rest of the trail. Same on the way back up. This avoids making the very off-camber turn in the middle of the switchback.

EMrider

Explorer
Sad accident with tragic consequences. Been up there many times and I usually stop at the first meadow, to some extent because that final turn gives me the willies.
R

SunFlower

Adventurer
If you look at the expo thread linked in post #4, there are some pics of the switchback. There is a landing that is flat and level at the switchback that you can pull forward onto, then backup and make a 3 point turn, to line up to go down the rest of the trail. Same on the way back up. This avoids making the very off-camber turn in the middle of the switchback.

Okay gotcha.

So do you think this driver attempted to make the turn without doing a 3 point turn ?

My recollection of doing this turn is there is no way you could make it WITHOUT doing a 3 point turn. I remember putting my front wheels almost on the edge and then backing up until I hit my bumper on the slope and then turning again. This was in a 91 full size Bronco.

dstock

Explorer
Okay gotcha.

So do you think this driver attempted to make the turn without doing a 3 point turn ?

My recollection of doing this turn is there is no way you could make it WITHOUT doing a 3 point turn. I remember putting my front wheels almost on the edge and then backing up until I hit my bumper on the slope and then turning again. This was in a 91 full size Bronco.

From the article, that's what it sounds like, he was his way up.

I did the same as you in my Jeep!

MattL

Adventurer
Wow that wayalife place has some nasty comments considering none of them were there to truly understand what happened.

Very sad news and a wake up call.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles