Alaskan on a 97 F250 4x4 Diesel

Motafinga

Adventurer
Tomorrow begins the next phase of my rig (I need a catchier title) as I have finally found a Utility box that fits my specs! They are like hens teeth to find with the appropriate height dimensions and this one looks like a winner and it's only 2 hours away. It will still need a little surgery as I will need to section the inner rear part of the boxes to fit the camper which is wider behind the wheel wells but it shouldn't be to difficult. I also still need to figure out the best way to rig the tie down points so if anyone has ideas or has done this before please chime in!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-19 at 6.58.40 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-02-19 at 6.58.40 PM.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 92

Motafinga

Adventurer
Got it back to Oakland this eve in one piece, rented a car trailer and used my winch pull it up onto the trailer using wood skids which was a bit of an adventure in itself.
Time to start modding it for prime time and paint. Pics to come!

Freebird

Adventurer
Quote:"Mostly because I will be using it as a primary housing situation for the next year or two. Hmmm....
And I'll be living in Montana!"

Opinion here. For primary housing use, I personally would strongly prefer a hard side Northern Lite to any pop-up I'm familiar with. Especially 4 season use in MT.
I currently own a 10' CO Alaskan and an older NL TC. I'm not dissing Alaskan campers. This is based on your usage.

Motafinga

Adventurer
It has begun, the plan is to invert the cut section and weld it back in creating a cavity for the rear of the camper.

Attachments

• 1456095912455-684036744.jpg
    1456095912455-684036744.jpg
    447.3 KB · Views: 87

upndown

Adventurer
This is going to be an awesome rig!! Following your build closely.
Gathering ideas for a mountain lake fishing rig. Slap a kayak on top and adios! Haha

Motafinga

Adventurer
This is going to be an awesome rig!! Following your build closely.
Gathering ideas for a mountain lake fishing rig. Slap a kayak on top and adios! Haha

Thanks for the kind words! We have a Kayak too but it goes in a bag when traveling, it's an inflatable advanced elements tandem and we love it but it probably wouldn't get along well with fishing hooks..

Motafinga

Adventurer
Quote:"Mostly because I will be using it as a primary housing situation for the next year or two. Hmmm....
And I'll be living in Montana!"

Opinion here. For primary housing use, I personally would strongly prefer a hard side Northern Lite to any pop-up I'm familiar with. Especially 4 season use in MT.
I currently own a 10' CO Alaskan and an older NL TC. I'm not dissing Alaskan campers. This is based on your usage.

Probably sound advice if you're living full time in it through snow, or plan on using lots of propane

Motafinga

Adventurer
Got both sides cut out today for the rear clearance, you just invert the opposite cut-outs to fill the cavity back in..

Attachments

• 20160222_164732.jpg
    20160222_164732.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 92

Motafinga

Adventurer
It's been awhile since I've got around to any updates but I've gotten a good amount done on the utility bed. Rear sections are welded, sealed up and primed now and it's just down to a bit of body work and paint. Got a couple of the busted door hinges repaired too.
I used 3/4 by 1/8 angle stock to finish off the seams where the box is sectioned out.

before sealer and primer..
Screen Shot 2016-05-01 at 7.12.37 PM.jpg

Motafinga

Adventurer
Also pulled the camper off today and dropped it into the bed for a mock up before paint to make sure all my measurements were correct.
There was definitely a drum roll in the air as we got set up to lower the camper into the bed to see if it all played together nicely. I was unsure if the jack plates would clear the bed since it so much wider. I'm VERY happy to report it fits like a glove! I will add a 1/2 inch rubber stall mat to my riser to give the plates a wee bit more clearance as well as anti vibration dampening and it should be good to go. I also had to zip about 1/2 inch from the jack plates to give the ute bed doors room to open.

Screen Shot 2016-05-01 at 7.28.35 PM.jpg

Motafinga

Adventurer
Hard to tell if anyones paying attention but I've started painting, I had a bunch of old decrepit paint and rust to remove, body work and holes to weld up etc but it's starting to look really good now. Im going to do the top of the bed rails and inside of bed with black Monstaliner. The door handles will be satin black. I found through doing a bunch of googly digging that one can achieve some damn good results using rustoleum in a can by thinning it correctly and using a foam roller brush with a patient technique. I was a bit skeptical but have to admit, I'm a believer now. I would never believe this was done with a roller if I didn't do it myself... this is about 6-7 coats
I will post better pics after some wet sanding and polishing

Screen Shot 2016-05-13 at 9.02.26 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2016-05-13 at 9.01.02 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2016-05-13 at 9.04.51 PM.jpg

ripperj

Explorer
I'm watching, looks good, I would like to get a box like that for my Ram/Alaskan eventually.
From what I can see on my phone the paint looks like it came out really well. How much did you thin it, and with what?
Keith

Sent from my Passport

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke