Thread: Alaskan on a 97 F250 4x4 Diesel

Default Pics of of new bed mounts

Here's the piece of mega destruction that I had to McGyver with the steel splint to continue my Utah trip!

Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 1.09.54 PM.jpg

After hacking out the destroyed section of C channel and grafting in some angle stock to replace it, I welded on this 1/4 in thick piece of angle iron and welded some 3/4 thick steel blocks that are 4 inches long by 2 inches wide and distribute the bed / camper load nicely along the angle iron.

Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 1.10.43 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 1.11.59 PM.jpg

To spread the load of the bed/camper across more of the frame I used these pressure treated beams, the lower beam is carriage bolted to the frame and a separate beam is lag bolted to the underside of the bed. The beams just rest on each other and bear weight without being attached and allow the frame to flex with fighting the bed. There is another beam just behind the rear axle I don't have a pic of going across the frame rails on 5th wheel brackets and lets the bed rest on top of it. I ditched the spring / bolt rear mounts in favor of grade 8- 5/16th bolts hard mounted. I didn't want the bed potentially bouncing up and down with the spring mounted bolts now being the only rear mounts.
    The rear of the camper is attached to the bed with floor through bolts in the aisle of the camper, in the front it mounts through the floor at wider spaced points near the edges of the camper. The significance of this is that the rear mounts do not pull at the corners of the camper the way that using turn buckles attached to corners of a camper might. The frame and bed can flex with translating to camper attempting to pull it apart!

Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 1.12.52 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 1.14.59 PM.jpg

This all came together just in time to hit the road for some great exploring through Colorado and New Mexico, with the exception of a few other issues I had to deal with on the fly, the truck did great and the new mounting system seems to be quite solid.

Screen Shot 2017-09-29 at 4.51.57 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-09-29 at 3.56.30 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-09-29 at 3.55.33 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 10.25.41 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 10.31.58 AM.jpg

Cool

Awesome build!! Loved reading this. Looking to do something very similar to my OBS ford as well! Would you mind posting the specs of the service body? I'm curious of its dimensions and estimated weight. Been looking for one for some time now and no luck, so I'm considering having an aluminum one built.

Awesome build, loved seeing it come together.
    2010 E150 5.4l RB

The Tan Hot Dog Build - http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ild-16958.html

Quote Originally Posted by Chorky View Post
    Awesome build!! Loved reading this. Looking to do something very similar to my OBS ford as well! Would you mind posting the specs of the service body? I'm curious of its dimensions and estimated weight. Been looking for one for some time now and no luck, so I'm considering having an aluminum one built.
    Hey Chorky, Thanks for the kind words! I had to scour CL for awhile before finding one that fit the bill, but the main thing to look for is the bed height not being higher than the stock beds, otherwise it would require an overly tall platform in the bed for the camper to clear the top of the beds sides, and raise it way high over the cab. Also one thing that stoked me on the bed I found was that it didn't have the usual top lifting compartments built into the rails which would be wasted space with a camper in their way.
    If you go second hand expect to cut and section and re-weld the area behind the wheel wells like I did, they all come one length all the back between the wheels. One exception I know of was a Palimino camper I had that was all one width front to back so it would've slid right in. I can't imagine what a custom aluminum UTE would cost but a steel one built to camper specs was over 6k last time I looked into it. I scored mine for 400 bux! It took some work though. I don't have exact dimensions on hand to share but hope that helps, As far as weight I think it's about 200lbs over stock, but I don't have an exact weight. My bed is pretty simple without the top compartments and built in heavy duty bumper most have, so it's lighter than most ute beds.
    What kind of camper do you have or are looking for?
    Good luck with your build
    Last edited by Motafinga; 01-07-2018 at 08:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
    Awesome build, loved seeing it come together.
    Thanks!

Default Just got home from another great loop through the southwest, Happy New Year everyone!

Last edited by Motafinga; 01-07-2018 at 04:17 PM.

Coolness !
    My site www.RoadTraveler.net

@RoadTraveler / Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Motafinga View Post
    Hey Chorky, Thanks for the kind words! I had to scour CL for awhile before finding one that fit the bill, but the main thing to look for is the bed height not being higher than the stock beds, otherwise it would require an overly tall platform in the bed for the camper to clear the top of the beds sides, and raise it way high over the cab. Also one thing that stoked me on the bed I found was that it didn't have the usual top lifting compartments built into the rails which would be wasted space with a camper in their way.
    If you go second hand expect to cut and section and re-weld the area behind the wheel wells like I did, they all come one length all the back between the wheels. One exception I know of was a Palimino camper I had that was all one width front to back so it would've slid right in. I can't imagine what a custom aluminum UTE would cost but a steel one built to camper specs was over 6k last time I looked into it. I scored mine for 400 bux! It took some work though. I don't have exact dimensions on hand to share but hope that helps, As far as weight I think it's about 200lbs over stock, but I don't have an exact weight. My bed is pretty simple without the top compartments and built in heavy duty bumper most have, so it's lighter than most ute beds.
    What kind of camper do you have or are looking for?
    Good luck with your build
    I got my service bed used as well. I didn't originally buy it for a truck camper, so I wasn't worried about the height. Once we moved from a trailer to the truck camper, I had to adapt. Our sun-valley Apache does have straight sided (no flare after the wheel wells) so all I had to do was space for the height and remove the LPG lines on the outside (all bad anyway)

[IMG][/IMG]

I'm using the extra space under the camper for a slide out porch and the extra space over the cab for a roof rack...eventually
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Ohaul; 01-08-2018 at 08:05 PM. Reason: fix pics
    O-haul 3.0
    2005 Ford F250 XL Crew cab. Reading utility bed customized with bed slide & sub floor for camper.
    Apache pop top truck camper (in progress).

*for Sale*
    Trailer "Aluminum Falcon"
    5x8 Gladiator enclosed cargo trailer, converted to teardrop style camper.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast