Expedition Overland - 2015 Season

EugeneTheTJ

Tar Heel
South America is another continent :p

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

Yes I know. but it is connected to Central America and many parts of it are similar to CA. I meant a completely different continent with a completely different environment...

deadly99

Explorer
Yes I know. but it is connected to Central America and many parts of it are similar to CA. I meant a completely different continent with a completely different environment...

South America is huge, diverse and comparing it to California...well...not comparable. Think Amazon jungle, think high altitude mountains, deserts, diverse cultures and too many other differences to list.

I thought it was pretty clear their goal was the Pan Am highway.

Edit: CA=California or Central America? Either way South America is an overlanding paradise. Scarisally populated areas, rugged terrain, a land of extremes (temps, geography, cultures, etc).

Last edited:

Janseman

Observer
I'm pretty sure their next season will take them down to Patagonia. If you watch their 4th xtour update from last year where they highlight overland expo East they show a map of South America, and it shows season 2 ending in Panama and season 3 goes all the way down through Chile. But who knows maybe they'll changed their minds.

EugeneTheTJ

Tar Heel
South America is huge, diverse and comparing it to California...well...not comparable. Think Amazon jungle, think high altitude mountains, deserts, diverse cultures and too many other differences to list.

I thought it was pretty clear their goal was the Pan Am highway.

Edit: CA=California or Central America? Either way South America is an overlanding paradise. Scarisally populated areas, rugged terrain, a land of extremes (temps, geography, cultures, etc).

Central America. Definitely not California :agree:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Thanks for the replys Kurt. Another good episode yesterday. I've always wanted to go to the ruins in Mexico, but have family in the area that tell me to stay away for now. Someday...

Interesting. This episode featured one such instance but we had several groups of locals tell us to steering clear of certain areas, many of which said they are in fear enough they don't go there themselves. We had done a fair bit of recon prior to departing and had some "no-go" areas on our list however it was interesting to hear locals portray the same feelings.

cruiseroutfit

Been enjoying this.........but killing the spider.....really?

This. And I actually found the hitchhiker stuff a bit sketchy (my wife was annoyed by both). Otherwise a good episode.

I second the above: my better half was also turned off by both.

The humor about the hitchhikers should have been one sentence, staying funny but less crude...

Interesting take on the spider. What the video doesn't show is the village local saying they absolutely loathe those spiders (can't recall the name) and they kill any they see. Not that is/was our job to be functioning as pest control for the locals but given his demeanor toward the situation I suppose it just seemed on par at the time? Hope that makes sense? There may or may not be a scene in a future episode where we discuss a similar instance with village locals... we don't kill anything but they make a point of telling us they do to keep the kids out of trouble.

I guess i missed the crude stuff in with the hitchhikers...

Me too, must have gone right over my head.

Yeah, I didn't pick up any of that from my take but as I was there when it happened I realized there was a lot more discussion than could be shown on the episode. They rode with us for a fair bit of time and we chatted and often laughed the entire time. They were really good sports about it and playing back just the same. The video doesn't capture all of the fun banter we had going "Jeff, do you still have over a million dollars in your trust fund" and "Jeff, are you still doing 50 one-arm push-ups each morning" The only person not laughing hysterically was Jeff

cruiseroutfit

since I have a 5th gen now and want a full rack any thoughts on how the no front mount worked out ?
was this just resting on the rubber or did you use a insert nut of some kind ?
and any other thoughts on the racks used for the 5th gen

thanks

I'm going to have to wrack my brain how we ended up mounting those at my shop that night but we had zero issues with the racks and loaded them up as one would normally do. Those two front boxes became the boots/shoes and jacket bins (nothing too heavy) and of course the tent was used extensively.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94