Expedition Overland - 2015 Season

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
What is your maximum range in the Four Runner fully loaded. Do you carry extra gas? How big a fuel tank do you have and what is your average mpg?

Hmmm, tough questions, the reality is I just can't remember. Fuel range wasn't ever much of an issue as CenAm has a good network of fuel stations. We did carry spare fuel cans and the Tacoma has a Long Range tanks so it could really lay down miles between fuel stops. The 4Runners have the factory 23 gallon tank. I'll check with Clay and see if he had some finalized fuel economy notes which we can figure out range. My gut is telling me ~350 range.

Honu

lost on the mainland
having lived in Honduras for a year and a month traveling by public bus through Guat and Honduras really looking forward to seeing this I loved Central America once I got away from the cities such amazing land and scenery and in parts dangerous to add a bit of excitement :)

JStrider

Awesome! I'm excited!

Will they be releasing the whole season at once for binge watching? or will they be releasing them on a schedule?

found the answer on their website

An ALL NEW season of Expedition Overland is near! Starting July 8th 2015 the Central America series will premiere at 5 P.M. Mountain standard. Then new episodes will be released EVERY WEEK on Wednesdays for 12 weeks!

Last edited:

Honu

lost on the mainland
they should take a clue from netflix :) release the whole series at once

regular TV is dying big time don't copy a dying formula of making folks wait etc. most of the excitement is lost over time etc...

cruiseroutfit

Awesome! I'm excited!

Will they be releasing the whole season at once for binge watching? or will they be releasing them on a schedule?

found the answer on their website

An ALL NEW season of Expedition Overland is near! Starting July 8th 2015 the Central America series will premiere at 5 P.M. Mountain standard. Then new episodes will be released EVERY WEEK on Wednesdays for 12 weeks!

Correct, 1 episode per week :cool:

cruiseroutfit

they should take a clue from netflix :) release the whole series at once

regular TV is dying big time don't copy a dying formula of making folks wait etc. most of the excitement is lost over time etc...

That offers little for social media and the deliverables which ultimately fund the production and execution of the trip. If Netflix were paying the bill they would be welcome to release it as they wish... as Toyota, General Tire and many other sponsors are ultimately funding the trip, they want ROI in the form of impressions and viewers which will add up to a bigger number stretched over 12 weeks. Additionally, the production team needs time to produce the episodes... they'll continue working on that later episodes long after the initial airing.

Example, team member aside, my company (Cruiser Outfitters) was also a sponsor of the expedition. I would realize far less value from a one-time launch than I would of 12 unique launches plus the bang of a season opener and season closer. It would be about like the NFL doing a Sweet 16 playoffs in a single weekend. ;)

Honu

lost on the mainland
well TV style scheduling is dying something to think about
netflix and hulu and others are taking over even cable realizes this with recording watching when you want etc.....

release one a day ? release each one on a unique page you still get the same views most will only watch once some will forget loose interest those that wont like me wont bother watching as they come out and wait till the end and watch all at one time anyway like I did with the previous

get your fans all together and take a poll :)

looking forward to seeing them all though :)

cruiseroutfit

We can agree to disagree. You're comparing apples to oranges. We are not showing a scripted season than was filmed last year... we got home a couple months ago. This isn't canned television, it's documentary aventure travel. The debut model worked great last season and it's ultimately the best ROI for the sponsors at this time. When that changes, production can change to suit. Personally I don't have he time to sit down and watch hours of video... so the shows I do enjoy catch my attention through new social media feeds, I often go back and "catch up" but I need reminders, updates, teasers and incentive to stay engaged.

Back to July 8th, any SLC area folks interested in a premier get together?

brushogger

Explorer
I actually prefer it being released one at a time. There's something about the anticipation week to week that is enjoyable for me. If it all came out at once, I'd be too tempted to kill a day with an XO marathon session.

Pinstripe

Adventurer
Should be a good season, Central America is beautiful.

As for releasing all at once vs. one a week, once a week is WAY higher on the profit scale. As mentioned, it gives everyone time to get the word out and get the word out repeatedly. Also gives journalists time to write and article or do an interview and still be able to release it while the series is still active.

stingray1300

Explorer
I too am eager to see the new season! I found Season 1 about 2 months after initial planning of our 2014 trip to.....Alaska/Yukon! We left out about 3 months later. The XO team did almost the same course, but much of it in reverse from the way we did it. It added to our sense of familiarity of the great white north, which made us more comfortable, which caused us to have even more of a great time!
I just wish they would broadcast on Discovery Channel or something (oddly enough, where I saw the initial ad for the show)

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I just wish they would broadcast on Discovery Channel or something (oddly enough, where I saw the initial ad for the show)

Oh please no. I think XO has already outclassed what you see on "cable" networks.

I have a feeling XO is smarter than that. It would cheapen them to be associated with Discovery. I've heard a lot of good YouTube shows die painful deaths after becoming associated with those networks and the destructive input of the network management into the production. Discovery can buy rights to air re-runs.

I'm not very educated on how this stuff works, but the way they have it set up now, I'd assume the only people they have to keep happy are their sponsors and the viewers. They have much more control staying away from network TV.

I think a lot of people have WiFi enabled devices on their TV, my BluRay/DVD player has a YouTube app, I can watch XO on TV like anything else.

Speaking of, I know what I'm watching tonight. :lurk:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles