Thread: Expedition Overland - 2015 Season

  1. #611
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Currently Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
    Posts
    719
    Am I the only one who was disappointed in this series? I felt the crew speeded through countries, spent more time worrying about security and caught up in the idea of overlanding than actually overlanding. This is not a negative criticism, just an observation. I watched all of the episodes for the love of the lifestyle and adventure, but I truly hope that if the guys do SA that they focus less on playing up areas and border crossing and just get down to enjoying their trip and meeting real people along the way, not that choreographed crap.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #612
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NW Florida
    Posts
    1,128
    Quote Originally Posted by InterFJ View Post
    Am I the only one who was disappointed in this series? I felt the crew speeded through countries, spent more time worrying about security and caught up in the idea of overlanding than actually overlanding. This is not a negative criticism, just an observation. I watched all of the episodes for the love of the lifestyle and adventure, but I truly hope that if the guys do SA that they focus less on playing up areas and border crossing and just get down to enjoying their trip and meeting real people along the way, not that choreographed crap.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I doubt you are the only one disappointed in the series. I'm sure that the series or individual episodes have fallen short of many people's expectations. But really, aren't these just individual's expectations? Expedition Overland really is only bound to fulfill contractual expectations to their sponsors, no one else. For some people the sensationalism, glossiness and high style is off putting. But, there is broad appeal to high production value projects like this.
    .

    Apologists will have a host of arguments to defend the content but sponsors are in business with Expedition Overland to sell tires, Toyotas and gadgets. The ultimate market for lifestyle gismos dictate the editing and planning. To be fair, we are not riding along with them, we don't know how authentic their experiences are between the few glimpses we get on a 10 minute, heavy edit video. Sure the videos we see are very "slick", the camera angles and lighting are excellent and multiple and the situations and dialog have a staged appearance but who would watch a single shot, shaky handheld, poorly lit with profanity laced dialog in the background (I think Youtube still has a few of these up)? The majority of miles and hours of these trips fall between the staged, made for TV portions and border crossings. It would not surprise me to find out that the Expedition Overland team considers these times the truly enjoyable and fulfilling parts of their travels. The sensationalized border crossings and well shot wheel spins are probably too much like work to be very enjoyable for them.
    .

    My advice is to blame it all on the editing and just enjoy the technical skills of their remarkably polished production. They show lots of video skill and seem to be making enough money to sustain the lifestyle...good on 'em.
    Last edited by AFSOC; 01-10-2017 at 05:37 PM.

  3. #613
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Currently Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
    Posts
    719
    Quote Originally Posted by AFSOC View Post
    I doubt you are the only one disappointed in the series. I'm sure that the series or individual episodes have fallen short of many people's expectations. But really, aren't these just individual's expectations? Expedition Overland really is only bound to fulfill contractual expectations to their sponsors, no one else. For some people the sensationalism, glossiness and high style is off putting. But, there is broad appeal to high production value projects like this.
    .

    Apologists will have a host of arguments to defend the content but sponsors are in business with Expedition Overland to sell tires, Toyotas and gadgets. The ultimate market for lifestyle gismos dictate the editing and planning. To be fair, we are not riding along with them, we don't know how authentic their experiences are between the few glimpses we get on a 10 minute, heavy edit video. Sure the videos we see are very "slick", the camera angles and lighting are excellent and multiple and the situations and dialog have a staged appearance but who would watch a single shot, shaky handheld, poorly lit with profanity laced dialog in the background (I think Youtube still has a few of these up)? The majority of miles and hours of these trips fall between the staged, made for TV portions and border crossings. It would not surprise me to find out that the Expedition Overland team considers these times the truly enjoyable and fulfilling parts of their travels. The sensationalized border crossings and well shot wheel spins are probably too much like work to be very enjoyable for them.
    .

    My advice is to blame it all on the editing and just enjoy the technical skills of their remarkably polished production. They show lots of video skill and seem to be making enough money to sustain the lifestyle...good on 'em.
    I get all that. Hopefully the guys took some time to self-reflect and make improvements for their next expo. I'm a fan and celebrate their successes with them. Their fan base expands the novice to the seasoned overlander, so hopefully the lessons learned from past episodes and their growth as professionals will give them the leverage to "keep it real".


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #614
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,931
    Quote Originally Posted by AFSOC View Post
    I doubt you are the only one disappointed in the series. I'm sure that the series or individual episodes have fallen short of many people's expectations. But really, aren't these just individual's expectations? Expedition Overland really is only bound to fulfill contractual expectations to their sponsors, no one else. For some people the sensationalism, glossiness and high style is off putting. But, there is broad appeal to high production value projects like this.
    .

    Apologists will have a host of arguments to defend the content but sponsors are in business with Expedition Overland to sell tires, Toyotas and gadgets. The ultimate market for lifestyle gismos dictate the editing and planning. To be fair, we are not riding along with them, we don't know how authentic their experiences are between the few glimpses we get on a 10 minute, heavy edit video. Sure the videos we see are very "slick", the camera angles and lighting are excellent and multiple and the situations and dialog have a staged appearance but who would watch a single shot, shaky handheld, poorly lit with profanity laced dialog in the background (I think Youtube still has a few of these up)? The majority of miles and hours of these trips fall between the staged, made for TV portions and border crossings. It would not surprise me to find out that the Expedition Overland team considers these times the truly enjoyable and fulfilling parts of their travels. The sensationalized border crossings and well shot wheel spins are probably too much like work to be very enjoyable for them.
    .

    My advice is to blame it all on the editing and just enjoy the technical skills of their remarkably polished production. They show lots of video skill and seem to be making enough money to sustain the lifestyle...good on 'em.
    Makes sense. I too like to see more real overland and not so much staged stuff. Guess I'll have to go out and overland to get what I wanna see lol.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  5. #615
    cruiseroutfit's Avatar
    cruiseroutfit is offline Sponsoring Vendor Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Sandy, UT
    Posts
    8,372
    Quote Originally Posted by InterFJ View Post
    Am I the only one who was disappointed in this series? I felt the crew speeded through countries, spent more time worrying about security and caught up in the idea of overlanding than actually overlanding. This is not a negative criticism, just an observation. I watched all of the episodes for the love of the lifestyle and adventure, but I truly hope that if the guys do SA that they focus less on playing up areas and border crossing and just get down to enjoying their trip and meeting real people along the way, not that choreographed crap.
    You'd hardly be the first to offer comments as such on our Central America trip. While none of it was "choreographed', the editors had hundreds of hours worth of footage to condense into just about 6. Obviously they didn't hit the mark with everyone (and to be fair its naive to assume they would).

    Have you watched the latest XO season (Return to the Mackenzie)? I'm curious how this held up to your wants vs. Central America.




    Quote Originally Posted by toyotech View Post
    Makes sense. I too like to see more real overland and not so much staged stuff. Guess I'll have to go out and overland to get what I wanna see lol.
    I'm seeing the word staged used by a few of you now. Can you share with me what you feel was staged?
    Kurt Williams
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Your original outfitter for OME - ARB - AA - Safari - Helton - Engel - Since 1992
    Join us on Facebook
    ExpeditionUtah - A lifelong project of exploring Utah
    kurt@cruiseroutfitters.com

  6. #616
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Currently Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
    Posts
    719
    Quote Originally Posted by cruiseroutfit View Post
    You'd hardly be the first to offer comments as such on our Central America trip. While none of it was "choreographed', the editors had hundreds of hours worth of footage to condense into just about 6. Obviously they didn't hit the mark with everyone (and to be fair its naive to assume they would).

    Have you watched the latest XO season (Return to the Mackenzie)? I'm curious how this held up to your wants vs. Central America.






    I'm seeing the word staged used by a few of you now. Can you share with me what you feel was staged?
    If you are referring to the Return to Mackenzie episodes, then yes, I've watched the latest footage. But if there is newer footage, do let me know!

    I enjoyed the Mackenzie episodes. There was more of the type of "overlanding" that I, as one of your thousands of viewers" enjoy watching.

    In your CA series, there was some footage that was edited--I'm assuming, so correct me here if I'm wrong--to make it seem like the shot was a sponsor plug. Perhaps it was sloppy editing (no disrespect intended), but for example, the maxtrax shot on the beach. I believe you guys were in Baja. That part looked choreographed.

    My main disappointment with the CA series is how much of each country the group missed. And how inaccurate some of the descriptions were. For example, in the Guatemala series, the episodes would describe some of the areas as the deep jungle. Well, I call foul. This said, I did learn about Finca Tatin through watching the series so thank you for the recommendation. It is cool, chill spot.

    I also found there was too much emphasis on security and border crossings. Those two elements will always exist when crossing international borders and the message I got from your editing was, there was a bit of trepidation in CA when you were outside of your comfort zones. But again, these are just my observations. I'd be happy to read disagreements and arguments that support or rebuke my points, but in the end I'm very supportive of the work XO does but like everything else in this world, there's always room for improvement. And like our rigs, our projects never end. Cheers from Guatemala !


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #617
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Near Tacoma,WA
    Posts
    664
    Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

  8. #618
    cruiseroutfit's Avatar
    cruiseroutfit is offline Sponsoring Vendor Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Sandy, UT
    Posts
    8,372
    Quote Originally Posted by InterFJ View Post
    If you are referring to the Return to Mackenzie episodes, then yes, I've watched the latest footage. But if there is newer footage, do let me know!
    That is the newest footage, planning for 2017 is underway.

    Quote Originally Posted by InterFJ View Post
    In your CA series, there was some footage that was edited--I'm assuming, so correct me here if I'm wrong--to make it seem like the shot was a sponsor plug. Perhaps it was sloppy editing (no disrespect intended), but for example, the maxtrax shot on the beach. I believe you guys were in Baja. That part looked choreographed.
    I was driving the Tacoma when it sank in the sand, 100% authentic... they did absolutely capitalize on the opportunity to use a product and capture footage. But we would have carried Maxtrax even if they were not a sponsor fwiw.


    Thanks for watching!
    Kurt Williams
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Your original outfitter for OME - ARB - AA - Safari - Helton - Engel - Since 1992
    Join us on Facebook
    ExpeditionUtah - A lifelong project of exploring Utah
    kurt@cruiseroutfitters.com

  9. #619
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Currently Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
    Posts
    719
    Quote Originally Posted by cruiseroutfit View Post
    That is the newest footage, planning for 2017 is underway.



    I was driving the Tacoma when it sank in the sand, 100% authentic... they did absolutely capitalize on the opportunity to use a product and capture footage. But we would have carried Maxtrax even if they were not a sponsor fwiw.


    Thanks for watching!
    The maxtrax saved our butts in Peten, too! Good luck with your upcoming adventure. You know I'll be watching.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #620
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by InterFJ View Post
    In your CA series, there was some footage that was edited--I'm assuming, so correct me here if I'm wrong--to make it seem like the shot was a sponsor plug. Perhaps it was sloppy editing (no disrespect intended), but for example, the maxtrax shot on the beach. I believe you guys were in Baja. That part looked choreographed.
    I don't know why this is a surprise to anyone here. I don't know how you expect them to do these kinds of adventures in foreign countries and film them without some sort of sponsorship. As for parts of it looking choreographed, well to be honest I didn't notice too much of that. But they do have an obligation to their viewers and their sponsors to make interesting content that is captured on camera. If they aren't getting good shots of their rigs in action, then what exactly is the point of the whole show?

    Quote Originally Posted by InterFJ View Post
    My main disappointment with the CA series is how much of each country the group missed. And how inaccurate some of the descriptions were. For example, in the Guatemala series, the episodes would describe some of the areas as the deep jungle. Well, I call foul. This said, I did learn about Finca Tatin through watching the series so thank you for the recommendation. It is cool, chill spot.

    I also found there was too much emphasis on security and border crossings. Those two elements will always exist when crossing international borders and the message I got from your editing was, there was a bit of trepidation in CA when you were outside of your comfort zones. But again, these are just my observations. I'd be happy to read disagreements and arguments that support or rebuke my points, but in the end I'm very supportive of the work XO does but like everything else in this world, there's always room for improvement. And like our rigs, our projects never end. Cheers from Guatemala !
    To be fair, they've got to condense a journey that was what, weeks-long, into several 45 minute video clips. They're not going to capture every nuanced detail about every country they visit. And there was a lot about border crossings in their CA series. But then again, every time I read some after action on this forum from an overlander who is travelling through CA and SA, the border crossings seem to receive a lot of attention due to the complexity and logistics that are sometimes involved. As someone who is looking to travel down to SA at some point, I'm glad that the XO crew spend time covering those crossings.

    I do get what you're saying on some level. The first season in North America really drew me in with is novelty and great story and camera shots. The CA season wasn't as entertaining, but still well-made. The return to Mackenzie was good, I just wished there had been more content. I hope that the next season they produce captures my attention the way the first one did. But I'm in no position to judge their abilities and decision-making and, with the exception of a select few on here who have planned and conducted large-scale expeditions in foreign countries, neither is anyone else.
    2011 4Runner Trail: Stock (Hopefully this changes soon)

Page 62 of 63 FirstFirst ... 125260616263 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •