new recovery tracks for large offroad vehicles

GR8ADV

Explorer
I trust Canadians. go for it.
Given we were not getting any info from your testers, less one, I needed to pull the trigger and went with Brand X. I would have hoped that given folks got a free set they would make some efforts to do some comparative testing for you. The one test was nice to see, but did anyone really think that they would not work?
For the purpose of future development, key items for me in my purchase decision were durability/robustness, small dimension when stacked, and a case to carry them in, inside the vehicle.
c'mon testers, hold up your end.

Endoftheroad

Well, cool free stuff warrants a response of some sort.
Thanks Alan, they made their way Canada within about two weeks . They are sitting right now waiting for seasonal abuse. My Fuso w 14' box (work/camper hybrid) is a daily driver, but really only has traction issue potential during winter months . I winter in Baja and already know these are going to work( no opinion at all about durability- that'll be the test!). I can see lending them out a lot too, easier than offering to help shovel. Proportionally , they look correct for our trucks . I've thought in hindsite,I should have ordered another set with the test ones, then I'd be willing to try crossing silt/sand flat zones solo ,in coastal central Baja that are notorious for swallowing trucks.
I'm also looking forward to using them to raise grade on sidehill washout stuff when the truck feels precariously leaning. I have been totally uncomfortable on sidehill, and would like to have these to stuff in ruts on downhill side to reduce any chance of rolling. I've shoveled in these ruts before, but these will make great lightweight 'shims' when leaning, not traction , is an issue.
I also play in snow in the mountains, but have a hard time getting stuck- now I'm going to be able to try harder. Also easier to hand a stuck guy one of these, than tow someone again. When someone has a stuck truck and sees a Fuso ... I've dragged quite a few people, but only been super stuck once.. I am going to try harder now.

Joe917

Explorer
Thanks Alan, they made their way Canada within about two weeks . They are sitting right now waiting for seasonal abuse. My Fuso w 14' box (work/camper hybrid) is a daily driver, but really only has traction issue potential during winter months . I winter in Baja and already know these are going to work( no opinion at all about durability- that'll be the test!). I can see lending them out a lot too, easier than offering to help shovel. Proportionally , they look correct for our trucks . I've thought in hindsite,I should have ordered another set with the test ones, then I'd be willing to try crossing silt/sand flat zones solo ,in coastal central Baja that are notorious for swallowing trucks.
I'm also looking forward to using them to raise grade on sidehill washout stuff when the truck feels precariously leaning. I have been totally uncomfortable on sidehill, and would like to have these to stuff in ruts on downhill side to reduce any chance of rolling. I've shoveled in these ruts before, but these will make great lightweight 'shims' when leaning, not traction , is an issue.
I also play in snow in the mountains, but have a hard time getting stuck- now I'm going to be able to try harder. Also easier to hand a stuck guy one of these, than tow someone again. When someone has a stuck truck and sees a Fuso ... I've dragged quite a few people, but only been super stuck once.. I am going to try harder now.

We will look out for you in Baja, then we can test them under 10 tons of Mercedes! When we get stuck its STUCK.

GR8ADV

Explorer

Excellent comments. Baja sand is my concern as well. what tires are you running? I had the fuso down on the beach last weekend and without momentum it digs itself in quite quickly when the soft sand get over a foot deep. I run 19.5's which play a negative roll in that regard as I only did a token air down to 50 psi.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
A canter will handle sand really well but like you say you have to air down quite a bit and with 19.5"s that is where you will probably have trouble. With my 16"s I would have no trouble going down to 20psi and lower if I was getting into trouble.

Dan.

GR8ADV

Explorer
A canter will handle sand really well but like you say you have to air down quite a bit and with 19.5"s that is where you will probably have trouble. With my 16"s I would have no trouble going down to 20psi and lower if I was getting into trouble.

Dan.
Yes Dan I agree. Without turning this into a wheel/tire thread, there are trade offs with both tire/wheel setups. The realities of North America I expect are different than down under

westyss

Explorer
Excellent comments. Baja sand is my concern as well. what tires are you running? I had the fuso down on the beach last weekend and without momentum it digs itself in quite quickly when the soft sand get over a foot deep. I run 19.5's which play a negative roll in that regard as I only did a token air down to 50 psi.

50 psi is pretty much normal operating pressures on the road for me so on sand they will just dig in, you will have to go down to around 20-25 to do well in sand, that is with 19.5's.

Endoftheroad, I wasnt aware of you getting a set, well that just blows my attempt at coercing Alan into sending me a test set, did Baja last year and camped on many beaches and as you may know having something for sand will appease your fears of getting stuck and get you to that really good spot, I really only got bogged a bit once and most likely would not have attempted to get to that spot without some kind of sand ladder item on hand. I didnt need them , just aired down a bit more and all was OK.
As for lending them out, well you are right on about that one as the locals will drive those beaches with two wheel drive! I like having an additional shovel for those guys to borrow and keep my good shovel hidden away but I do help out to get them unstuck as it is a great ice breaker and can provide dividends in the end ( free oysters etc. )

GR8ADV

Explorer
50 psi is pretty much normal operating pressures on the road for me so on sand they will just dig in, you will have to go down to around 20-25 to do well in sand, that is with 19.5's.

Endoftheroad, I wasnt aware of you getting a set, well that just blows my attempt at coercing Alan into sending me a test set, did Baja last year and camped on many beaches and as you may know having something for sand will appease your fears of getting stuck and get you to that really good spot, I really only got bogged a bit once and most likely would not have attempted to get to that spot without some kind of sand ladder item on hand. I didnt need them , just aired down a bit more and all was OK.
As for lending them out, well you are right on about that one as the locals will drive those beaches with two wheel drive! I like having an additional shovel for those guys to borrow and keep my good shovel hidden away but I do help out to get them unstuck as it is a great ice breaker and can provide dividends in the end ( free oysters etc. )
westyys, based on the stories I had heard I was not sure that the 19.5's without a bead could go down that low. Also, with the stiff sidewall I was not sure it would matter?? Thanks for any input.

westyss

Explorer
I trust Canadians. go for it.
Given we were not getting any info from your testers, less one, I needed to pull the trigger and went with Brand X. I would have hoped that given folks got a free set they would make some efforts to do some comparative testing for you. The one test was nice to see, but did anyone really think that they would not work?
For the purpose of future development, key items for me in my purchase decision were durability/robustness, small dimension when stacked, and a case to carry them in, inside the vehicle.
c'mon testers, hold up your end.

I wasn't intending to get on the testers case to get out there really, I was just angling to get the thread going more and get some info which I am sure will start to come along soon, mostly kidding around, I have had a very good experience purchasing from Alan and would not hesitate to do so again if those @!#@$%*& testers would get at it!:D

GR8ADV

Explorer
I wasn't intending to get on the testers case to get out there really, I was just angling to get the thread going more and get some info which I am sure will start to come along soon, mostly kidding around, I have had a very good experience purchasing from Alan and would not hesitate to do so again if those @!#@$%*& testers would get at it!:D

yea I guess I may have come across a bit hard, but I did not mean to. But hey if it gets them out there getting stuck and unstuck, then its all good. It is people like alan that make this place great.

Endoftheroad

Well Westyys, come to the west side of Vancouver Island and have a run at them ! I m in Ucluelet.
Lots of backcountry off road access , but clearance and destroyed and decommissioned roads are the summer hazards. I really need some sort of bridging/ladder system. Were you in Baja last winter as well?, good friends showed me pictures of your truck camped next to theirs the previous winter in the south at Pescadero..
I have the 315/75 /r16 Toyo Ats and am still looking for a definitive safe low tire pressure # for these . Haven't dropped below 25... How low can you go in a pinch and not blow a bead? - anyone care to offer firsthand low pound #?
Re- the value of this product. As we all have these trucks for better access, and have spent real money for that advantage, these might be kinda priceless. Pennies in the bucket. Getting stuck in a big truck could quite likely happen in the middle of nowhere. When I'm in Baja and looking at a questionable line I think about how far I'm going to have to go to find a piece of machinery to hire for cash.
Also there is always a better campsite if you can confidently push it a little further..

westyss

Explorer
Well Westyys, come to the west side of Vancouver Island and have a run at them ! I m in Ucluelet.
Lots of backcountry off road access , but clearance and destroyed and decommissioned roads are the summer hazards. I really need some sort of bridging/ladder system. Were you in Baja last winter as well?, good friends showed me pictures of your truck camped next to theirs the previous winter in the south at Pescadero..
I have the 315/75 /r16 Toyo Ats and am still looking for a definitive safe low tire pressure # for these . Haven't dropped below 25... How low can you go in a pinch and not blow a bead? - anyone care to offer firsthand low pound #?
Re- the value of this product. As we all have these trucks for better access, and have spent real money for that advantage, these might be kinda priceless. Pennies in the bucket. Getting stuck in a big truck could quite likely happen in the middle of nowhere. When I'm in Baja and looking at a questionable line I think about how far I'm going to have to go to find a piece of machinery to hire for cash.
Also there is always a better campsite if you can confidently push it a little further..

Well I would totally like to head to the west of of the Island to help out but Im in China right now for two weeks mostly stuck in traffic or in lines and poor internet....
Cant help you on the low pressures with those tires you have on other than just start testing out different pressures.

Was in Mexico last year for six months, great trip.
If you look on my build page you can maybe see what I came up with for bridging ladders, it is an aluminum stair tread that I welded 1"x 2" square tube along the inside channel to strengthen them up, they will support the weight of the truck for bridging, but I am looking to get some of these for sand as they would be easier to deal with for a quick get unstuck item.
I have no winch and do not plan on getting one so these and a couple of good shovels is my go to recovery system.

yabanja

Explorer
I have the 315/75 /r16 Toyo Ats and am still looking for a definitive safe low tire pressure # for these . Haven't dropped below 25... How low can you go in a pinch and not blow a bead? - anyone care to offer firsthand low pound #?.

Well, I would guess that they are fairly similar to the 17" tires I am running. I have run them quite a bit at 20 psi in deep mud/sand. Wouldn't go any lower than that! There is serious risk of sidewall damage at pressure that low. I currently am running 30 psi for serious off road work and 45 on the highway. (Mine are 37 12.5 17 BFG AT K02) Max PSI 50 cold.

Allan

david506th

Adventurer
So pretty much, I was looking forward to these but after nothing from testers or the manufacturer I stopped by Cruiser Outfitters in Salt Lake yesterday and picked up some Maxtraxx.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles