1975 Kawasaki KZ400 Scrambler Build

This bike is kickstart only, which is a good thing. Electric start is definitely nice, but there’s just something cool about kickstarting an old bike. This plus the fact that there are minimal electronics should allow us to run the smallest battery. We might be able to run no battery at all, but it’s nice to have one on board. The Antigravity AG401 was chosen because it’s just so ridiculously small and should have the juice needed to keep things running. Measuring just 4.25” wide x 3.75” high x 1.25” deep, this is a beautiful little block of lithium ion goodness. Made in USA, waterproof, three year warranty, and it’s stout and well made. Now it’s time to make a tiny battery box to match.

antigravity.jpg

mattc82

This is a cool project. What did you guys do to the front suspension to get it sorted?

What is the stock carb on this bike? Is it a 32mm?

Thanks. Front suspension is stock for now. Just lowered the suspension 20mm and changed the oil. We'd love to switch out to new springs, it's just not in the budget right now.

And not sure what the stock carb is, but we put new Mikuni VM32's on this a little bit ago, so the stock is probably the same—32mm.

MamboSA

Observer
Hi OE, any new updates on this project? I don't have the skills to do this sort of thing myself, so I need to get my fix from watching guys like you - I'm starting to get withdrawals.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Man it's been quite a while since we posted anything about the build, so here's a quick update. We'll catch up soon with some pics of the progress. Since post #17 we fabbed a battery box, made the seat pan and shaped the foam, had a seat upholstered, cut and designed the exhaust and then had it welded, and pretty much got the bike all mocked up and put together. Didn't take long to get her started, but we discovered an oil leak due to an old gasket. So we went to work tearing down the engine, replacing all the gaskets, giving it a good cleaning inside including cleaning carbon deposits from the pistons and cylinder head. Then everything was torqued and tuned to spec and the bike was put back together again. This time she was running right. Next we made a simple electronics tray under the seat to keep everything safe from the dirt we'd be slinging around on this girl.

After all that work was only proper to take her out for a good time, so we bombed some country roads and kicked up a little dirt.

Now we're working on a nice little tab for the key ignition since that's been relocated, then we need to make a couple brackets for the exhaust to keep it stabilized in the rear. Oh and a license plate to keep the lawman happy. After that it'll be taken apart again so we can powercoat the frame and other pieces and paint the take. That about covers it. It's been a lot of work re-imagining a 40 year old motorcycle, but it's been quite rewarding. More updates to come.

And here's a couple pics from our afternoon out:
OE-650-00183.jpeg
OE-650-00185.jpeg
OE-650-00083.jpeg
OE-650-00099.jpeg

Looks great. How much $ all in do yall have in the project?

Hard to say. Maybe around $2250–2500. Plus countless hours of grinding and welding and sanding and drilling and shaping. But since the bike was only $300 in it's original state it's helped to keep the overall cost down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles