Rollercam straps

bluejeep

just a guy
I read the tiedown strap comparison test that the overland journal did a while back. Liked what I saw about the ease of use and security of the Rollercam product so I bought a few. Here's my thoughts on the Rollercam strap products.

The product is amazing. But.....they are more useful with the slight modification I made.

I cut the strap approx. 18" from the buckle end. Then I looped the cut end back onto itself and sewed it to form a loop approx 3" diameter. Did the same to the cut end of the other portion as well.

So you now have 2 sections. One shorter length with the rollercam on one end and a loop on the other. The other section has a loop on one end and a plain strap end on the other.

Now my strap works 4 ways.

First- each non-looped end (plain strap end on one, rollercam buckle on one) can thread thru a tiedown loop on my jeep and then thru its own looped end. Then each non-looped end (plain strap end on one, rollercam buckle on one) connects to each other as usual with the plain* strap end running thru the rollercam, pull to tighten, drive with confidence from south dakota to Texas! Did it!

Second method - each non-looped end (plain strap end on one, rollercam buckle on one) can thread thru the loop on the other portion from the original cut strap. Now you once again have a long continuous strap, like the original.

Thirdly - each loop end can slide over a hook tiedown, connect the other ends as usual

Fourth method - a load rated caribiner can connect each loop end to a loop style tiedown, connect the other ends as usual.

I recommend this product.

Honu

lost on the mainland
PICS :)
pretty sure I get the concept :) just would help to see

I have a lot of these type straps and like them very much !

spressomon

Expedition Leader
^^^^^^^^^
X3

Been a happy Rollercam strap user for a few years...great product...since getting them, regular/old style cam buckle straps and el cheapo ratchet straps are no bueno.

Wish he would intro a wider, say 2" wide, version.

Last edited:

Honu

lost on the mainland
for sure a great idea that has my mind going :) now to get out the sewing machine :) hahahahahah

bluejeep

just a guy
PICS :)
pretty sure I get the concept :) just would help to see

I have a lot of these type straps and like them very much !

I'll see if I can get some pics, I just listed my house for sale and am still 'polishing' all those little aesthetic things you say you will get to 'some day'. So now that I want top dollar, it's 'some day' today! Might be several days.

I sent an email to Rollercam with the same words as my original post, and the reply indicated "We will be releasing a variety of new products and configurations in the upcoming months, of which, loops will be prevalent." !!!:wings:

bluejeep

just a guy
let's try some pics
this shows the strap after if was cut into 2 sections, and loops sewn into one end of each section
NCM_0037.JPG

detail of sewing (no load rating tested)
NCM_0038.jpg

Next is the 2 sections inter-weaved to make one long strap again, shown loosely configured and then also snugged up. Similar to how 2 recovery straps can be connected.
NCM_0039.JPG NCM_0040.JPG

then a pic of being connected directly to a tie down point
NCM_0041.JPGNCM_0042.JPG

Now shown with a load rated connector between the strap's loop and the tie down point
NCM_0043.JPGNCM_0044.JPG
NCM_0045.JPGNCM_0046.JPG

Sorry, I don't have a tiedown point that is 'open', like a hook

This strap started it's life as a 4' length, which I used in the pics to illustrate things, longer straps would be done the same way

Last edited:

Honu

lost on the mainland
very cool :) and what I thought but fun to see

I know the track tie downs what are the other ones the nice clean simple bend ones :)

doug720

Expedition Leader
The tie down anchors in post #12 are motorcycle triple tree anchors. Most MC dealers sell them for $8-12 a pair, not $9 each.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne