M35a2

The King Machine

A Good Operator
This is my 1966 M35a2, it had an army depot rebuild in 1987 and was removed from service from a reserve unit in Salem Oregon in 2005.

Comes with the LTD 465-1d TD multi fuel. When I purchased it the color was blue. I have since done a lot of work to her. I am planning on installing air lockers on all 3 axles in the future.
-Air assist steering
-External Brake reservoir
-air dryer
-HEMTT rims with 47" XML tires
-Air shift Tcase
-H1 Seats
-LED lights
-New batteries with custom kill switch
-Brake system overhaul
-NATO paint pattern
-Clutch
-Head gaskets
-New troop seats
-Cargo cover
-New cab soft top

I acquired an old communication shelter and trailer. My plane is to convert the shelter into a robust camper. Complete with a basic solar power system. I started by removing some of the old electrical plugs and installing some windows. I have the same size tires and rims for the trailer too.

Attachments

• photo%201 yo.jpg
    photo%201 yo.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 35
  • truckstave_zpscbf6421c.jpg
    truckstave_zpscbf6421c.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1928.jpg
    IMG_1928.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 39
  • truck 1.JPG
    truck 1.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 41
  • drop%20top.jpg
    drop%20top.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0636_zpseebc6924.jpg
    IMG_0636_zpseebc6924.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1226.JPG
    IMG_1226.JPG
    280.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1238.JPG
    IMG_1238.JPG
    381.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1247.JPG
    IMG_1247.JPG
    385.7 KB · Views: 38

Abnengr

Looks like a great project. I like the S-250 comm shelter on the trailer. I'm currently converting a S-250 shelter into a camper. It's currently on an 1101 trailer but may use it on a 99 F250 regular cab flatbed. Trailer with shelter.jpg

The King Machine

A Good Operator
I used it one season in the back of the truck. Great tough little camper, I was bustin off 3" diameter tree limbs on the back roads not so much as a dent. Completely water proof and insulated.

However I did find that a trailer would be better suited for my needs. Just for the fact I can set up camp and use the truck to haul wood or my ATV.

The King Machine

A Good Operator
That's correct,

That was before I installed the steering assist. It was a tough go driving it without power steering, but I had a lot of fun.

You must know somebody I know.

westyss

Explorer
That's correct,

That was before I installed the steering assist. It was a tough go driving it without power steering, but I had a lot of fun.

You must know somebody I know.

I think I saw a bit of a report from someone you went with on maybe BC4x4?? I went on that trail just after you and I spent a lot of the time in the foliage from the trees and while there I noticed some tree damage from something bigger than me having passed through recently, that would be you, it was tight i some spots for me so Im sure they were tighter for you, but then you could just drive over stuff in your way Lol. Nice going!

The King Machine

A Good Operator
Yeah that's right,

We had 2 UL1300 MOGS, my Deuce, and a couple trucks in our group. I tried my best to stay on the trail and not damage any trees. I remember one real tight spot where I had to fit between 2 trees.

Thanks maybe I'll see you out and about

westyss

Explorer
Yeah that's right,

We had 2 UL1300 MOGS, my Deuce, and a couple trucks in our group. I tried my best to stay on the trail and not damage any trees. I remember one real tight spot where I had to fit between 2 trees.

Thanks maybe I'll see you out and about

Yup thats what it was, I distinctly remember only because I felt pretty tall on that trail but kept seeing little scuff marks almost higher than me on those tight spots, you guys did good taking those big rigs on there with very little damage to trees, sure wouldnt want to go on it without power steering tho. I did notice on many of the drop off ledges a pile of moto parts, like busted off brake handles, mirrors and some unknown parts....pretty funny.

The King Machine

A Good Operator
It was tough, but I enjoy being challenged. I almost lost my arm a couple times :punk03:

On the way down the switch back into Wells lake the front axle locked up. If I wasn't seat belted down I would have been riding the steering wheel. My navigator was ready to jump, when he saw the tears rolling down my face. :Wow1:

I'm going to do it again with the new upgrades

Here's a pic of me coming up Falcon Hill

deucewhipsaw2cropped_zps1af7cb00.jpg

109_zpsa526a56f.jpg

The King Machine

A Good Operator
Yup thats what it was, I distinctly remember only because I felt pretty tall on that trail but kept seeing little scuff marks almost higher than me on those tight spots, you guys did good taking those big rigs on there with very little damage to trees, sure wouldnt want to go on it without power steering tho. I did notice on many of the drop off ledges a pile of moto parts, like busted off brake handles, mirrors and some unknown parts....pretty funny.

Yeah I seen a few broke down whole trucks too, mostly due to water inhalation. I watched a guy drive into a lake, his truck was floating. I just couldn't understand why he would intentionally do that.

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
Great truck! Reminds me of mine :wings:

Air assisted steering helps, having the steering wheel ripped from the hands offroad makes the trails much more difficult. Caught my left thumb once, aint gonna happen again!

Any plans to upgrade the brakes or does yours have the dual circuit setup?

The King Machine

A Good Operator
The brakes are always in the back of my mind, its still the single circuit system. I'm going to slowly collect parts to build a duel circuit system. I have both air packs already

The King Machine

A Good Operator
It's an unforgiving beast, but she will perform reliably when required. It's a handful to drive. When you get to know its characteristics she is good to go.

She completed a 540km trip this past weekend. 200 of which were logging road. Nothing too challenging, other than a quick jaunt down to Hale creek on the way up the lake. Truck performed very well, I trust it. Average speed was roughly 50 km per hour on the forest service road, made pretty good time for 16 000lbs pounds of rolling thunder. Lowered the tire pressure down to 10 psi in the rear and 15psi in the front. It was pretty comfortable, like riding on a balloons. She sucked wind on a few mountain passes but not any worse than my old 91 ford 7.3

My EGT and boost gauges were very helpful, on a few hills I had to back off the throttle due to the EGT's reaching 1200 deg.
I also noted at one point 16 lbs of boost. I installed my AVM locking front hubs before I left, I must say they make a HUGE difference in handling and steering.

Left Richmond at 7am and reached St. Agnes well by about just after 3pm give or take. Monday we rolled out of the hot springs at 10 am out through the sea to sky highway back to Richmond.

The fuel consumption was manageable. I filled up 210 liters I dipped the tank when I got home. I calculated about 57 liters left.

Used the Shelter trailer for the first time. The GF and I slept well, especially through Saturday nights rain storm.

Attachments

• IMG_1989.jpg
    IMG_1989.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 10
  • FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    504.3 KB · Views: 18
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1972.jpg
    IMG_1972.jpg