Extending tongue

kjg26

Observer
I need to extend my trailer tongue by roughtly 18" to make everything fit/articulate correctly. Can i use one of the "hitch extenders"? It is a m416 trailer frame that I am building a trailer box off of. The tongue currenlty is a 2" recieved bolted/welded onto the stock casting. My thought was to add a 18" hitch extender into the current 2" reciever then attach my hitch to the front of that. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Keith

kjg26

Observer
good point, i have seen some people add bolts to snug up the fitment, i may try that and see how it works.

parcours

Observer
Here's how I did mine. Granted this was from scratch. I made a 6' receiver, attached it to the frame in several places, braced it with the TC-3 braces.

Complete_8_Resized_zps24efd1f4.jpg

Complete_9_Resized_zps2ae85fe3.jpg

M100_Build_36_zpsvmcq7ckx.jpg

M100_Build_35_zpsltdgjyej.jpg

M100_Build_33_zpsrx959zgo.jpg

brian90744

American Trekker
What is the length you are try to make? is appears you already have 48" or better. I don't like the Weld job on the stock cast bracket, maybe you could grind the weld off and reuse the casting??
I modified my M416 hitch to 48" to the center of the pintle, trying to keep it stock looking.=brian

Attachments

• Hitch Tongue extent 6.jpg
    Hitch Tongue extent 6.jpg
    527.2 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

kjg26

Observer
It's not welded to the stock cast bracket. It is steel plate welded and gusseted to the reciever and bolted through the cast bracket and another steel plate on the back side. I have spacers on the inside to prevent any wobble from the bolts.

kjg26

Observer
I have 36" from the leading edge of the frame to the end of the reciever tubing

Last edited:

brian90744

American Trekker
M416 tongue extension info

I used 2pcs 60" long 2"x3" .125walls =

Attachments

• Hitch Tongue extent 1.jpg
    Hitch Tongue extent 1.jpg
    593.5 KB · Views: 83
  • Hitch Tongue extent 2.jpg
    Hitch Tongue extent 2.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 102
  • Hitch Tongue extent 7.jpg
    Hitch Tongue extent 7.jpg
    389 KB · Views: 80
  • Hitch Tongue extent 8.jpg
    Hitch Tongue extent 8.jpg
    350.8 KB · Views: 75
  • Hitch Tongue extent 6.jpg
    Hitch Tongue extent 6.jpg
    527.2 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

JOSX2

Observer
reviving this thread.....Brian, is any of that extended tongue you made welded? or all bolted to the frame and pintle?

WyoOtto

reviving this thread.....Brian, is any of that extended tongue you made welded? or all bolted to the frame and pintle?

Having more or less copied his design I can say it is all bolted - not that you couldn't weld it or do some combination of bolt and weld.

JOSX2

Observer
thanks man! I just got an m416 this past weekend and took a look under her the day after I posted. Thanks for confirming it for me!

Pretty easy extension to do?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles