Extending tongue

JOSX2

Observer
One more for ya WyoOtto....did you do the same length tubing as him (60")? How much tongue length did that give you all the way to the end of the lunette?

brian90744

American Trekker
You can weld it, but is easy with the tub removed. You must remove the front drain as it sits on the new beam, I just cut a 2x2" around the frt drain and welded a plate over the hole I cut. Just FYI=brian

M35A2

Tinkerer
What is the length you are try to make? is appears you already have 48" or better. I don't like the Weld job on the stock cast bracket, maybe you could grind the weld off and reuse the casting??
I modified my M416 hitch to 48" to the center of the pintle, trying to keep it stock looking.=brian

That's really nice.

M35A2

Tinkerer
Question for you guys that have significantly extended the tongue on a M-416. Has it goofed up the balance of the trailer? It seems to add a bunch of tongue weight; even more if you add a tongue box or mount other stuff in the extra space.

WyoOtto

I did a slightly different version of Brian's tongue with 3/16 wall 2"x3" tubing. The tongue length is very comparable. I can get you the effective extended length tomorrow. My design differed in that I put a 3/4" grade 8 bolt through the side of the trailer by welding on a piece to square up the angles. Ignore the weld quality- it was my first weld in 23 years. It's starting to come back to me now.
image.jpg
image.jpg

JOSX2

Observer
this is so great that I don't have to weld to extend! Cause I dont' know how to ;) LOL

Thx guys!

brian90744

American Trekker
easy tongue extension on M416 NO weld

maybe some M416 owners never found this thread????
brian90744

Attachments

• frt trailer.jpg
    frt trailer.jpg
    471.8 KB · Views: 45
  • strip trailer.jpg
    strip trailer.jpg
    538.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Hitch Tongue extent 7.jpg
    Hitch Tongue extent 7.jpg
    389 KB · Views: 43
  • Hitch Tongue extent 2.jpg