GovPlanet 5 ton trucks

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
For the life of me, i can't figure out why the US ARMY would NOT demand the ability to lock all the axles if need be. That's what makes the Tatra, Kamaz, Unimogs, Zetros , Maz, Ural, etc... such good vehicles. When **** gets bad, the ability to have TRUE all wheel drive, can many times, make all the difference in the world. Also one of the reasons we own a Power Wagon.

I am an old 64C, Motor Transport Operator, US Army. I did all my time in Kaiserslautern Germany. I got to see many of these vehicles & see them in action during joint military exercises.

Marine and navy trucks have lockers in the rear

I own a Stewart and Stevenson M1088. After owning it for a few months, here is my insight. First, it is a beast. People see it coming and move over or stare. The frame is strong, the doors are thin. It pulls like a freight train. With regard to reliability, it has a lot of LITTLE bugs. If you are not handy, don't buy one. Thing are going to be things wrong with it. Get over it. It's likely 17 years old or so. Any vehicle that old will have anything rubber go bad. The air suspension on mine was toast. The shocks are rubber. Fix was $400. The air brake dehumidifier was bad. Fix was $200. I think my CAT turbo is bad. New cartridge $595. The CTIS is junk on these. A simple manual system can be made for it for $20. True air lockers for the axles ARE coming.

Pntyrmvr

Adventurer
Chilli buy your truck through a broker used to exporting these things and get all the paperwork done right. You have to check in with the US title before exporting it anyway so do it right and get the clearance letters. Murray Inc in Rhode Island can do it.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

technoweenie

I purchased several trucks from govliquidation.com, which I guess was the predecessor to the site you are referring to. Auctions require strategy. I purchased 3 running M35A2's and drove them off the base. I paid between $1,200 and $1,600 for each of them. The one for $1,400 had a winch and all three are running happily 3 years later. In my state the 2.5 ton did not require commercial license to drive but the 5 tons did. If you are resourceful the parts are dirt cheap, if you aren't, then you're stuck paying the prices boyceequipment, etc. charge.

5 tons don' require a CDL in WA unless you're using it in commerce, just FYI.... BTW... https://www.facebook.com/groups/339623506135698/

onemanarmy

Explorer
I have an m35a2 (5 ton drop side cargo truck). It's great fun, and if you try, it'll power slide through an icy parking lot pretty well.

Have driven it on many hundred mile or so trips, and one long trip (Minnesota- CO, pulling my dodge dually the whole time). It was great.

It is slow, and for an RV, it isn't as comfortable, even with the added comforts I've put into it. But, as an offroad capable RV, it's a great budget way to go.

I would suggest though, try to find one with an expansible box already on it. It'll save you tons of time in building the camper/RV portion.

I'm not sure how fast this would be against anything, but I'd say it's annoyingly slow up hills. Also, I never checked gas mileage. Kind of felt like it was counting calories of a milkshake. Not a lot of point.
Not in any way relevant to this convo. A m35a2 is a 2.5 ton designation truck.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

sethro80

Adventurer
We love ours

Seth

Brutus%20solar-1_zpshi3nz6xq.jpg

Brutus%20Aspens-1_zpsnd33xgl7.jpg

M1079%20cinder%20lake%20-1_zpsshnpjzsg.jpg

Brutus%20rear%20end%20peaks%20Kande%20roof-1_zpsxrjum6uw.jpg

Brutus%20beside%20sunset%20crator-1_zpsbi4wyrxv.jpg

Brutus%20sunset%20pano-1_zpsluodwy28.jpg

M1079%20cinder%20lake%20-1_zps35ewutvl.jpg

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
Not in any way relevant to this convo. A m35a2 is a 2.5 ton designation truck.

While the designation is a 2.5 ton truck that's just it off road capacity. On road it is 5 ton. The military rated all of it's trucks in that manner until the FMTV line of vehicles. Those, if it says it's 2.5 ton then it's 2.5 ton due to the suspension. The M1078 will bottom out quickly if it becomes overloaded whereas the M35A2 easily goes over the rating amount with room to spare.

onemanarmy

Explorer
The author of this posting was asking about the LMTV style 5 tons that are currently for sale. All this posting about the m35a2 and m35a3 and the early 80s 5 tons is confusing and not relevant to the original question. That is what I was trying to clarify. Not sure why people keep talking about how awesome their Deuce is.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
While the designation is a 2.5 ton truck that's just it off road capacity. On road it is 5 ton. The military rated all of it's trucks in that manner until the FMTV line of vehicles. Those, if it says it's 2.5 ton then it's 2.5 ton due to the suspension. The M1078 will bottom out quickly if it becomes overloaded whereas the M35A2 easily goes over the rating amount with room to spare.

Are you one of those that think the m35 is the holy grail? Ive overloaded lmtvs and have never had bottoming out issues.

Peneumbra2

Badger Wrangler
The truck to get is that Oshkosh 1070 - the tractor they use to drive Abrams tanks around. Five hundred horse 8V92, Allison automatic, really good visibility from the cab.

And just THINK of all the beer you could carry around!

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
The truck to get is that Oshkosh 1070 - the tractor they use to drive Abrams tanks around. Five hundred horse 8V92, Allison automatic, really good visibility from the cab.

And just THINK of all the beer you could carry around!

I agree, but what is the price? ....:ylsmoke::Wow1::Wow1::exclaim::violent-smiley-031::violent-smiley-031::violent-smiley-031:

cumminscruiser

Adventurer
LMTV

Bought a LMTV from GovPlanet a couple months ago, sight un-seen flew to Texas and picked it up. Oh and it did not have a spare tire. We thought it would be a good idea to keep a rental car and follow the LMTV the 1800 miles to home. After the first 100 miles it became apparent that we no longer needed the rental car so we brought it back to the airport. Now three of us, no A/C 55 MPH max started off.

We drove thru Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Mohave Desert then the rest of the journey to Sacramento and it was hot so hot I saw a coyote chasing a jack rabbit and they were both walking!

We had a small charging problem that kept us from driving all night with the head lights on but other than that it was awesome. It charged just enough during the day for several headlight hours at night.

If I could I'd buy another today.

rayra

Expedition Leader
The author of this posting was asking about the LMTV style 5 tons that are currently for sale. All this posting about the m35a2 and m35a3 and the early 80s 5 tons is confusing and not relevant to the original question. That is what I was trying to clarify. Not sure why people keep talking about how awesome their Deuce is.

Absolutely relevant, in terms of the government liquidation process / auction system, the general state of the equipment and necessity of being handy and/or or well heeled for dealing with all the maintenance issues. And the issues of title, registration, import / export all apply as well. So don't let your inner autist try to censor what gets posted in this topic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94