G55 Build

noqno

I had an 02, that had vinyl ceiling, was great, I have an 05 with cloth, that was a mes, but sagged too, took me months to finish it, since the sunroof always given problems, I love vinyl 10x, good luck on that one, your G is looking great, I am in LA too, I am a big aficionado of G's i have some 460's too, I love what you are doing with you G 55, I plan to do same with mine, do an expedition vehicle soon.
cheers

mtm_motors

Observer
Love the wheels and outfitting. I've been eyeing early W463s for a while now, they aren't quite in my price range yet though

otiswesty

Regular guy
What is the size and offset of those wheels?

Found it on the Facebook Braid post:
Model: WINRACE T
Size: 17X7.5
Offset: +24
Color: custom
Hub Bore: 84.1
Bolt Pattern: 5X130
Lug Style: MERCEDES BALL

Last edited:

McBride

Adventurer
Looking very nice. Have you had a chance to get it into it's natural habitat (rocks, dirt, mud)? You'll love it! Also, More pics please.

asutherl

Observer
Sorry for the lack of updates, I'm in the middle of moving from LA to Portland!

re: brake clearance - the naturally aspirated G55's use the same brakes as the G500 so no issues with 17's. However, the Braid's are a motorsports wheel and are built with larger racing brake in mind so the inner barrels are very "big" and flat. I wouldn't be surprised if they fit on a G55K.

Here is a picture of the top of the roof rack as requested:

g55 roof rack top.jpg

asutherl

Observer
Drop us a line when you get here.

I arrived last week (Camas for now); drove the G up pulling the trailer.

The only issue was that the amount of air coming out of the hvac vents got weak about halfway through Oregon! the blower sounded strong and the air was cold, just very low volume. The airlow didn't change when i switched from floor to windshield, which sounds like the flapper control is going out. The next day, it worked fine!

I need a proper front winch bumper! Any suggestions....

Jwestpro

Explorer

I don't have a G but have liked the design of the factory version with the big center pin connector so you can leave the winch at home out of the weather until going on a trip. It also can pop into a mount for the rear receiver which is a cool added function. The Oregon guys will know where/what I am talking about.

--

http://www.g-wagenaccessories.com/products/towpinbumper.htm

It says "won't fit G55" but I don't accept words like "can't" ;) I am sure there's a way to relocate any items that keep it from being called a "plug-n-play" install but how hard can it be ?

otiswesty

Regular guy
I arrived last week (Camas for now); drove the G up pulling the trailer.

The only issue was that the amount of air coming out of the hvac vents got weak about halfway through Oregon! the blower sounded strong and the air was cold, just very low volume. The airlow didn't change when i switched from floor to windshield, which sounds like the flapper control is going out. The next day, it worked fine!

I actually have a spare Europa winch bumper that I pulled off of my G500. It has provision for a bumper mounted trans cooler, so would work with any G55.

I was keeping it for a G55 project that I am now likely not to do as I will stay with my 1999 G500.

otiswesty

Regular guy
I don't have a G but have liked the design of the factory version with the big center pin connector so you can leave the winch at home out of the weather until going on a trip. It also can pop into a mount for the rear receiver which is a cool added function. The Oregon guys will know where/what I am talking about.
http://www.g-wagenaccessories.com/products/towpinbumper.htm
It says "won't fit G55" but I don't accept words like "can't" ;) I am sure there's a way to relocate any items that keep it from being called a "plug-n-play" install but how hard can it be ?

The tow pin bumper does not work with the G55. I have used 3 different versions of the 463 tow pin bumper and the combination of the recessed well for the tow pin combined with the lack of airflow through the bumper makes it not suitable.

The g55 uses 2 separate inline transmission air/oil coolers plus the water/oil cooler in the radiator to help compensate for all of the torque coming out of that beast of a motor. The G500 only has one oil/air cooler which is located in the bumper from the factory. This is the one that needs to be relocated underneath to the secondary G55 location when the tow pin bumper is added.

Last edited:

Jwestpro

Explorer
The tow pin bumper does not work with the G55. I have used 3 different versions of the 463 tow pin bumper and the combination of the recessed well for the tow pin combined with the lack of airflow through the bumper makes it not suitable.

The g55 uses 2 separate inline transmission air/oil coolers plus the water/oil cooler in the radiator to help compensate for all of the torque coming out of that beast of a motor. The G500 only has one oil/air cooler which is located in the bumper from the factory. This is the one that needs to be relocated underneath to the secondary G55 location when the tow pin bumper is added.

I see. Even on the pre-kompressor amg engine ?

That pin design is just so cool it seems worth the hassle to customize. I suppose there are other ways to utilize the quick mount like doing a standard 2" front receiver...? The pin design though is tucked in so nicely when winch is mounted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne