Any alternatives to a 4d house battery

medicfernando

Adventurer
Hello all. My lifeline 4d house battery is nearing the end of its life (after 10 years). Is anyone using something other than a 4d size battery to replace their house battery on a factory SMB? I figure Sportsmobile uses the 4D for a reason and wondering if anyone has had good luck with another option. Thanks!

SMB uses the 4D because of the power that it holds. There are options for replacing it but it really depends on how much power you need. For example, our 89 SMB has a group 36 deep cycle RV battery in it but the only power we use is for lights, fridge, and heater. We have 270 watts of solar on the roof that keeps the battery charged up during the day. The battery does not drop below 50% in the fall and spring when we use all three power using devices.

If you use 120v devices through an inverter then you will need more power, hence the 4D. If you have the space you could change to two smaller batteries that would give you the same amount of power.

zelatore

Explorer
You can use anything you want as long as you have the space. A pair of group 31s in parallel would work and likely offer more ah than a single 4D. So would a pair of 6L6s in series.

NRL

I used to use 8D/4D AGM's but for the past 10 years I switched to two 6 volts (Lifeline GPL-4CT) in series, same if not better amp hours.

They have a thicker positive plate compared to the 8Ds and 4Ds.. and they are easy to move around with the rope handles. The dimensions are alittle smaller but alittle taller.. fit where my 4d was.

The last set have lasted about 5 years, and then they still perform at 80% but only due to my once or twice fully discharge by accident because I forgot to turn off the cut-off switch in storage..and it slowly drained.

Just bought two new ones and put it in myself.. can't move the 8D/4D's myself..

You'll need a thick gauge cable to put them in series but that easy to find (amazon).

http://www.lifelinebatteries.com/marineflyer.php?id=14

Gtdad

Adventurer
I have Traverse not an smb van its battery box will olny take two 27 series batteries or less. I found some 200AH 6v Agm that are same size as a 27 series battery, I am using two in series...same amount of power as 4D

DzlToy

Explorer
If your system configuration can handle Lithium, then something like this could replace your 4D/8D. LAH or lithium amp hours are much higher because a lithium battery can be drawn down to about 20% SOC, where lead batteries can only go to 80% SOC.

http://www.amazon.com/Braille-Battery-i31D-Intensity-Lithium/dp/B007P0VNPE

If you look at what you are getting for the price (amp hours, space savings, weight savings, lifespan, etc) it will pay for itself.

If not, Odyssey/Hawker make excellent deep cycle AGM batteries. Please do not buy anything that says Optima.

deminimis

Explorer
When our Lifeline failed in our Former SMB, there was no way I was going that route again. I did a wet cell 4D (Deka). Worked so much better. However, as mentioned above, two group 31 batts in parallel is even better (total amp/hr). Since it's such a hassle to check levels with the SMB batt location, you'll probably stick with AGM, but for me, I endured the hassle because wet cells simply perform better (and a hell of a lot cheaper). Do consider the group 31 batt bank. I'm running two sets of group 31 banks in our camper now, but even with just one bank, it gave a lot of bang for the buck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles