87 Suzuki Samurai

DETN8R

Observer
EDIT: Not sure why these pictures won't show up but I mirror this build thread on my website www.detn8r.net

At first I was planning on just mixing up a small amount of the raptor liner so that I could save it. After a while I figured that I would paint the lower part of the drivers side door too.

2018-05-18_16-48-6.JPG

I sprayed some adhesion promoter on the bare metal parts and rolled on the raptor liner. I couldn't be happier with the results and I can't wait to get the other side done.

2018-05-18_16-48-5.JPG

2018-05-18_16-48-4.JPG

2018-05-18_16-48-3.JPG

The carpet still mostly fits in the back of the Samurai, the seat still fits. The seatbelt is pretty tight between the wheel well and the seat but still works fine.

Now, I'm driving around with the drivers side done and the passenger side, with the worst rust is still how it was. I'm a little nervous to work around the gas filler and tank but I'll tackle it in a week or two. Not sure when I'll get the front done.

Last edited:

DETN8R

Observer
I've been wanting to post a detailed update for a while but I figured I'd post a picture of how my samurai is looking today. Earlier this summer I swapped out the axles and put on some big tires.
cb6725dafc41c453e9682688dadf0b50.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WRONG_WAY_DAVE

I love the Samurai, and think everyone in the world should be restoring them fully. I saw a stock, fully pristine one in Corpus Christi once and it was all I could do not to stalk the guy with my checkbook. Keep up the good work!!

ohiobenz

I picked up a VW diesel swapped 88 for the tow vehicle behind my big rig.
Stuff on the "to-do" list is the new aluminum radiator, electric power steering and a roll cage.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200813-233140_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20200813-233140_Facebook.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 17

Riptide

Explorer
I picked up a VW diesel swapped 88 for the tow vehicle behind my big rig.
Stuff on the "to-do" list is the new aluminum radiator, electric power steering and a roll cage.

I saw that for sale, I think. Nice trucklet. What engine is in it? I've had a 1.6 TD on a pallet for about 10 years, flip-flopping over a swap...

ohiobenz

I saw that for sale, I think. Nice trucklet. What engine is in it? I've had a 1.6 TD on a pallet for about 10 years, flip-flopping over a swap...

The 1.6TD
I wish it had an earlier mechanical 1.9 TDI because this is lacking in power IMO. Now there's tweaks to be done, so we'll see later on.

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
Confirmed my need to make it a 4wd . Going to find a beater and tear the running gear out of it rebuild then install on mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles