87 Suzuki Samurai

DETN8R

Observer
Thanks for following Jeepmudder!

I've gotten some things done here and there. The Samurai doesn't seem to be drinking oil since I fixed the pressure gauge lines.

I've been working on the roof rack every weekend. I think I've finally settled on some mounting methods for it. This is going to be just a fairly brief but pictorially heavy post.

I had Joe (Zukrider) weld the main hoops for me since I had no experience welding myself at the time. These are the main part of the rack and I wanted these welds to be solidly done. Huge thanks to him for doing the welding.

I picked up a cheap tubing notcher from Harbor Freight. I picked up the holesaw from home depot.

044.JPG

I cut a couple of more pieces of conduit that will support the second hoop above the lower. I wanted a 4" gap between the hoops. In retrospect I should have done something shorter, like maybe 2".

045_2.JPG

I did a mockup to get a feel for what it would be like all welded together.

052.JPG

Did another sitting on top of the samurai.

054.JPG

I got the posts welded all by myself! Been playing around with a 115v welder that my brother in law has. No gas, but some of the welds look ok.

I got the slats cut and notched last week and got them welded up this Saturday.

011.JPG

(There's a recall on the iPhone camera's and mine has been going bad.)

I was checking out the space and my daughter decided to crawl into the cooler.

033.JPG

I still need to weld the top hoop to the posts but the base of the rack is more or less completed.

I've made some bracketry from aluminum to support the rack that doesn't interfere with the soft top and doesn't require me to drill into the body anywhere.

001_2.JPG

002.JPG

(I'll try to fix these squashed pics soon)

There was some black trim on the bottom portion of the targa that I replaced with some 1x1/4" aluminum to tie the roof rack support to. This will simply keep the bracket from swinging and chewing away the paint on the targa and isn't intended to support any weight. It's attached with stainless steel sheet metal screws.

I made the window frame brackets a couple of weeks ago. The pictures speak for themselves in how the bracket works. I plan on running a length of conduit from the window frame to the targa brackets.
043.JPG

Threw the rack on top of the Samurai again to get an idea of how it'll look.

004.JPG

I'll leave this post with a teaser of some other things I have planned.

008.JPG

Last edited:

biggoolies

Adventurer
That hole in your exhaust picture shows how much oil your truck is burning I think. If you take your finger against the black in your exhaust and it is oily, she is burning oil.

DETN8R

Observer
Yeah. Considering a rebuild early next year or swapping the thing out altogether.

It passed Colorado emissions so I'm a bit perplexed on the oil burning issue.

DETN8R

Observer
Just wanted to do a quick update tonight. I got some of the brackets made for the roof rack. I bent the two rear targa brackets to fit properly. I still need to bolt everything together.

We also just got our first snow here so I'm going to try to get this done quickly. I hope to have everything done on Saturday or Sunday.

I got the window frame supports done. They'll run back to the targa brackets and support the roof rack basket in the front.

Here is the rook racked mocked together.

035.JPG

037.JPG

DETN8R

Observer
This is going to be another brief update.

I got the roof rack done!! I tried to use stainless steel hardware wherever possible. I'll upgrade the home depot u-bolts to stainless later. For now they're zinc.

The roof rack supported my weight, which is about 200lb's, with no issues. It doesn't vibrate or shake when driving down the highway either.

Final Mockup
rack1.JPG

Held me, so it must be good right?
rack2.JPG

Welding the window frame brackets.
rack3.JPG

The targa brackets I bent using a vise and hammer. Mounted them to the aluminum brackets with two 5/16-18 bolts on each side.
rack5.JPG

rack4.JPG

rack6.JPG

rack7.JPG

I hope to do some winter camping soon to test it out. I may want to add some additional slats to the rack since balancing stuff might be tricky.

This rack is in no way square and it does sit a tiny bit off center.

DETN8R

Observer
I got a few other things done yesterday.
I installed the vent tube (Venturi Nozzle) into my carburetor. My original carburetor had this already installed but the one I got from Joe didn't.
I have been experiencing some hesitation when the engine is cold driving around and this seems to have greatly alleviated it.
2015-11-11_10-512.JPG

2015-11-11_10-513.JPG

I installed some quick fist clamps onto the roof rack support at the recommendation of my nephew, which I thought was a brilliant idea!.

2015-11-11_10-511.JPG

This should work out nicely for snow wheeling. Unfortunately the door just barely hits the shovel. I'll have to figure out a fix for it or just live with it. We'll see...

DETN8R

Observer
It's been a while since I last updated this thread. I haven't done much to the Samurai but I've settled on a few things.

I'm really considering the 1.6L swap. Right now I'm probably going to buy a re-manufactured engine from ZOR (Zuks Off Road) since Myron is so highly recommended. While I'm at it I'll probably get his Transfercase Cradle as well. Considering T-Case gears but I'd like to get the swap done in a weekend. Whether or not that's possible, I don't know.

One thing I've hated about my soft top is the zipper pulls on the rear window. I finally added some paracord pulls to the zippers to make unzipping it a lot easier. I'll swap out this soft top soon with a rampage top with removable side windows soon.

2016-01-02_17-07-2.JPG

I've also replaced the door hinge screws with stainless socket cap screws because I think they loosen up over time and the doors droop.

I've really liked having my Ram Mount for my iPhone 6 plus but I broke my screen a few months ago and decided to get a fancy huge case for it. My new case did not fit in Ram Mount's Phablet holder, which was the holder for iPhone 6 plus phones with a case.
I decided to make my own. I purchased a cheap replacement belt clip and a new ball mount for the otterbox defender case and ripped off of the belt clip portion and used a utility knife blade to remove the molding.
2016-01-02_17-07-4.JPG

2016-01-02_17-07-5.JPG

I drilled four new holes and countersunk them and I had a new phone mount in minutes.

2016-01-02_17-07-7.JPG

2016-01-02_17-07-8.JPG

My friend lit a fire under my butt with his new tire carrier and gave me a few parts to get me started on my own. He gave me this hitch and a hub for a spindle.

2016-01-02_17-07-3.JPG

I've gotten all the parts if I'm not mistaken. I got some 2" square tubing and some angle to make the brackets. I picked up this latch off Amazon.

2016-01-02_17-07-9.JPG

I got some tail lights from harbor freight today but I'm not sure if they'll work so I may return them. I removed the rear bumper to see how things were attached and to get a feel for the wiring.

2016-01-02_17-34-2.JPG

I cut the two brackets for the frame out of some 3/8 angle I picked up from the drop off scrap pile at Altitude Steel here in denver.

2016-01-02_17-34-3.JPG

The simplicity of the mounting is what sold me on building my own tire carrier. The angle iron will bolt to the frame on two bolts on each side.

2016-01-02_17-34-1.JPG

Next paycheck I may purchase a chop saw to make building this a little easier.

My samurai is just about to roll over 100,00 miles soon so I've changed the oil and the fuel filter again to start this year off right.

Spokerider

Looking good!
I too am currently making a swing-away tire carrier and rear bumper for my 87 zuk. It is challenging figuring out the bumper attachment points [ that will make the bumper secure enough to winch on ], and dealing with metal warpage from welding heat. Putting any substantial amount of heat into .125" wall tube causes much warpage.

Following your zuk build!

DETN8R

Observer
I've been seeing everyone use the four bottom bolts where the stock ball-hitch mounts and then tying into the upper body mounts under the tailgate.

Thanks for following.

Spokerider

Yep,
In your last pic, I used the bolt on the right, made an 8" long bracket from flat bar that slides into the frame, and drilled another 1/2" hole in the frame [ and the bracket ] so that bracket is held INSIDE the frame by two bolts. That is two mounting points for the bumper.

I also welded 5/8" nut just inside the end of the round cross member at the back [ after I drove in and welded inplace some schedule 40 pipe into the full length of the round cross member ]. Then I made brackets that go from the main bumper tube to the ends of the round cross member, and bolted them in place with 5/8ths bolts. That is two more mounting locations.

I used the two body mount bolts at the back and made some brackets that weld to the bumper tube........another two mounting points.

Lastly, I made bracket that would fit inside a 2 x 2 hitch tube. That bracket was welding onto the frame's round cross member right in the center [ the hitch tube I have welded onto the bumper ]. The hitch tube slips right onto that bracket. A long 1/2" bolt holds them together. That is the last mounting point.

Lots of mounting points and a bumper that can be removed as needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles