The Campulance

Outback

Explorer
The Snorkel was the last thing I was going to install. Yet it was the very first item that has arrived so far. So today I decided to get busy.

The first picture is where I traced the outer edge of the template. I wanted to know where the top edge was when I taped the template on the vehicle. Next I double checked bolt pattern against the template. Glad I did. They didn't line up exactly. Once I corrected the pattern I then held the snorkel up onto the rig to get an idea where I need to place the template. Take your time because you have one shot at this. After a few minutes of checking and double checking I decided I had it right. The last picture shows that there is no going back.

Attachments

• campulance 5.jpg
    campulance 5.jpg
    522.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2021[1].jpg
    IMG_2021[1].jpg
    512.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2038[1].jpg
    IMG_2038[1].jpg
    513.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2039[1].jpg
    IMG_2039[1].jpg
    513.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Outback

Explorer
The Snorkel was purchased off of Ebay. Its for a 80 Series LandCruiser. Cost was $65 and another $35 for shipping to Alaska. Its a Chinese made copy of the ARB snorkel. I must say for the cost its a pretty good deal.

The hole is drilled out (I used a 4" hole saw) and the Snorkel was laid up for test fit. All looks good so time to drill out the mounting holes. I then taped the snorkel up and started in with the heat gun. This takes time so don't be in a hurry.

IMG_2044[1].jpgIMG_2043[1].jpgIMG_2045[1].jpgIMG_2041[1].jpgIMG_2042[1].jpg

Last edited:

Outback

Explorer
The hole was drilled all the way through the fender and internal structure. I moved the radiator coolant over flow bottle to the left. I used one of the original coolant mounting holes to reattach the coolant bottle. A few holes were drilled to attach the other two mounts. After a few quick checks I will be able to run the internal air cleaner hose to the snorkel. A few mods will be required but pretty easy ones. Tomorrow should have the snorkel wrapped up.

IMG_2049[1].jpgIMG_2048[1].jpgIMG_2047[1].jpgIMG_2051[1].jpgIMG_2050[1].jpg

Last edited:

Outback

Explorer
Sorry for the pics rotation. This always happens on this Forum. If a Moderator would be kind enough to rotate them I would appreciate it.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Considering the sheer number of post on this forum, I seriously doubt the Mods will rotate them for you, if they even see them. So, I'll get you started and give you a few pointers that will help in the future.

1. Are you using a cell phone or actual camera? If it's a cell phone, rotate your phone into the 'Landscape' mode vs. 'Portrait' mode. The phone should automatically orient the pictures correctly, but if it doesn't, look for a picture setting that has to do with orientation and make sure it's set to 'automatic'. That way the picture will fill up a computer screen and we're not looking at the subject through a vertical slit. Unless you're taking a picture of a flagpole or skyscraper, there is rarely any reason to use Portrait mode.

2. Put a space between pictures to make it easier to see where one stops and the next one starts. Having the pictures all oriented the same way and the same size makes them fit the page better and looks much better also.

3. Are you uploading the pictures from the camera or cell phone directly to the forum? Your best bet is to upload them to a computer and use a picture editing program to correct anything needed and rotate them to the upright position if need be. It doesn't need to be anything complicated, and just about every picture viewer has the capability to rotate pictures. You can even use Microsoft Paint to do it.

I use the forum's built in picture uploader, and have very good luck with it. It loads a medium size picture, but also gives viewers the ability to click on it and see enlarged versions too.

Here are the rotated versions of your pictures, but they may not be in the same order you had them. I also eliminated a few duplicates since the forum limits the number of pictures per page to 10.

campulance 5.jpg

IMG_2021[1].jpg

IMG_2038[1].jpg

IMG_2039[1].jpg

IMG_2041[1].jpg

IMG_2042[1].jpg

IMG_2043[1].jpg

IMG_2044[1].jpg

IMG_2045[1].jpg

IMG_2046[1].jpg

Outback

Explorer
Thanks Guys. I transferred back to the Lower 48 and a friend of mine wanted the Campulance. I was going to fly back up with the wife after winter and drive her home but I couldn't refuse a good offer from a friend for the Campulance. She is sold to a young great couple who I know will have many adventures in her. It was a great base platform for a full build but I'm back here now. BUT I did just purchase a Military M1010.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz