2006 Fleetwood Neon - Family Adventure Basecamp

BCzuk

Observer
Cool little tent trailer, I didn't know that they made them that small.

Looks like a fun trip too!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Just a side note Garret the Cricket Trailer guy has a new trailer called the Tiger Moth. 1 you tube video guessing only one built right now but looks interesting from the Expo stand point. Too small for a family though.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Your solar set up is just like the one I built. Same approach using the output side of the controller to avoid killing the battery. Same deal 20 amp max input or output limit. But works great. I run a small deep cycle 18amphr battery stuffed into a 50cal ammo box, with the controller and fuse box, then plug two 10watt Renogy panels into it. We only burn about 6-8 amps max with LED lighting and small charging phones cameras etc. No fridge. Fun to see the same approach I took. It works.

Jeepinaaron

Adventurer
Ok quick question: I am cleaning up the clutter on the tongue and installed a large tongue box. I am going to put the battery in this box. Do I need to add any type of vent on the box since a battery will be in it to allow air in or fumes out?

My first thought is no, since some people mount batteries inside the passenger compartment of their rig. And my wife's 2012 grand cherokee has the battery under the passenger's seat.

thewas4x

I would probably put in some sort of simple vent or mesh screen. Similar battery boxes for boats, etc are vented. And even under a seat, your GC has a lot of air circulating through the passenger compartment. Swapped a battery in a Mercedes with a tight engine compartment a few weeks ago, and it had the battery heat shielded, then had a simple vent tube connected. Aftermarket battery had same provision.

Jeepinaaron

Adventurer
Thanks, I already have the vent. I was just debating if I needed to cut the hole and install it. Down the road I may put an inverter in here so it would probably be beneficial.

Jeepinaaron

Adventurer
Tongue Box

I was getting tired of the clutter of items which I had bolted/strapped to the tongue of the trailer. Additionally, things which I would like to store on the tongue had to be placed in the trailer such as leveling blocks and chocks.

Solution: Tongue Box from Amazon. (seriously I that store sells everything)

Drilled a holes for wires, put tie downs for the battery, and cut a vent in the rear. Don't mind where the grinder ran away from me.

Jeepinaaron

Adventurer
BAL 31" Jacks

Most recent trailer projects. I followed MountainD's advice and went with the BAL 31" trailer jacks. They are huge and so much nicer than the stock stabilizer jacks. Since they are so long I took the trailer to my fab guy and had him weld up some brackets for them. After he welded up the brackets I took everything off the trailer and painted the frame. It took forever to tape up everything so I could blast it with some rattle can, but there was some surface rust which needed to be dealt with. The finish turned out nice.

MountainD

Adventurer
Nice! You might consider getting the feet for them too--I find those very useful. Also, for $30, I picked up a harbor freight cordless drill, put a socket on the end of it, and it makes super quick work on raising/lowering the legs. Looks great!

Last edited:

Jeepinaaron

Adventurer
Yea I will get the feet for it eventually. I have a C02 bottle mounted in the rear of my Jeep, thought about just using an air wrench. I like to keep things simple though, they are mounted so I can take a simple 3/4" wrench or socket to turn them. I will keep a wrench in the tongue box.

Jeepinaaron

Adventurer
Blue Ridge Parkway & Grayson Highlands

Over the last two weeks I've had the chance to get the camper out.

Loaded up with the fresh modifications. I put some tie down points on top of the box for firewood.

Our site at Grayson Highlands. It started to rain, the ARB awnings were nice to have.

This past weekend we hit up the BRP in the area of Mount Mitchell & Craggy Gardens. We camped off South Toe River Rd, a NF road. Black Mountain Campground is also in the area but we wanted to avoid that.

The ladies hiking around Craggy Gardens.

Jeepinaaron

Adventurer
Roan Mountain

I've just recently picked up dutch oven cooking. I'm trying to perfect it, but it is an art form.

Pano from the Appalachian Trail.

Roan High Bluff

Jeepinaaron

Adventurer
Water damage to the top

Well, the previous owner installed an ARB rear awning. A cool feature I thought, that is until I noticed the bracket which holds the door up during transport came loose. Upon further inspection the plywood is pretty rotten. It seems the previous owner didn't seal up the connection holes into the top very well. I removed the awning and there is pretty serious water damage in the area of the bolt holes.

For now I removed the awning and removed the bracket which holds the door up. I attached the bracket with bolts through the top, and properly sealed everything. I think I am going to have some custom bracket fabricated for the awning so it isn't just bolted through the top. For now the holes are duct taped.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior