Newbie tyre question

Bruce Lee

Hi everyone

There is some great stuff here and I will add some of mine when it happens!

I have bought an ex Norwegian police MB 614 4x4 surveillance van, 1994 but only 64,000 km

I want to increase the tyre size to drop the revs (now doing 2200 at 50 mph) but I am confused about tyres, I can't find 19 inch wheels on 6 studs in the UK and don't want anything tailor made as travelling in Africa I want standard stuff.

I saw a thread on here mentioning John Speed's van which someone on here had bought, anyone know who this is? His was shod with Michelin 8.5 r17.5 xzy. My question is, what diameter are these, as most tyres are i.e. 215/75R17.5, the 75 being percentage hight to width, is 8.5 R17.5 square?

Does anyone know if Nigel Evans is still on the road?

Bruce

Attachments

• 20150412_172541.jpg
    20150412_172541.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 13

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
As far as I am aware there are no standard 19.5" rims which would fit straight on. Most people doing 19.5" conversions have custom wheels made by Aspect wheels in the UK or by a Belgian company whose name I forget (Search for Ullie and Toyo in this forum).

According to my Michelin Truck Tire Specifications table, 8.5R17.5 are 31.7" tall, so they are close to 80% profile ratio.

Charlie

Ullie

Adventurer
As far as I am aware there are no standard 19.5" rims which would fit straight on. Most people doing 19.5" conversions have custom wheels made by Aspect wheels in the UK or by a Belgian company whose name I forget (Search for Ullie and Toyo in this forum).

It's not a Belgian company but a Dutch. :)
Gabo is the manufacturer, but you have to order via a company. They do not deliver to private persons. We, and several other people from the Netherlands and Germany ordered them at Twiga Traval.

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Hey Ulliie, we're in your comer of the world this week. Bruges today and heading to Amsterdam on Tuesday.

Bruce Lee

Thanks

Thanks for the replies, as soon as I can find a speedo in km and get it registered work will begin.
If anyone comes across a 614 being broken let me know please.
Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94