Bringing Sexy Back. AKA 93' LWB RRC

REDROVER

Explorer
I would prefer to do 4l80e transmission BUT, it’s way to long and I don’t wanna cut the body to make it fit,

NV4500 with bellhousing has the same length as ZF22 , no relocation of transfer case or driver shafts,

6l80e is great transmission, but u won’t need 6 gears on 6.2.
Are u doing turbo or non turbo ?

I am gonna go with turbo side mount.

I’ll post it here when I start the job, my rover had 237k miles, almost everything needed to be replaced mechanicaly, it’s time for new engine and reliable platform.

If that engine your are putting in the rover came from a Humvee, make sure to change the oil pan, get one from GM truck so it will clear the front axle, I learned a lot from my first build.

Also turn up the fuel screw, I have very close up how to do video on YouTube.
Injection pumps on 6.2 is calibrated for fuel efficiency, by turning up the screw it gives a lot more diesel, unbelievable difference.

REDROVER

Explorer
i miss my 6.2 diesel Range Rover,
She was slow, but so reliable and fun,
being an idiot I sold it to some punk kids.

rrclassicbt550

Farmer Jon
Thank you very much for the advice Sir. I will definitely be thinking about that while tuning it. Not to mention going through your old thread and this thread for tips and info.

The ZF22 just never seems to be efficient in the areas I need it to be. I want the 6 speed for the closer ratios which will keep the rpms on peak power without burning extra fuel and the tall 6th gear ratio should make the long road trip/highway miles a little more wallet friendly. I seem to burn a lot of gas at 70+. Also, I am trying to get as close as I can to a 1000 mile range out of it. With my 32 gallon long range fuel tank and 1 extra jerry can I should hopefully be close. We will see how it goes though.

I am aiming more toward reliability and fuel efficiency. I may turn the screw up, but gonna try it N/A and in as stock a form as possible. Just going to do mods that will make it more reliable or more efficient. Maybe a couple small power mods but nothing to extravagant.

Are you going to run the LT230 or something else? If you run the LT230 you can switch the t-case drum brake for a disc conversion. That would give you extra room without having to cut the floor.

I would prefer to do 4l80e transmission BUT, it’s way to long and I don’t wanna cut the body to make it fit,

NV4500 with bellhousing has the same length as ZF22 , no relocation of transfer case or driver shafts,

6l80e is great transmission, but u won’t need 6 gears on 6.2.
Are u doing turbo or non turbo ?

I am gonna go with turbo side mount.

I’ll post it here when I start the job, my rover had 237k miles, almost everything needed to be replaced mechanicaly, it’s time for new engine and reliable platform.

If that engine your are putting in the rover came from a Humvee, make sure to change the oil pan, get one from GM truck so it will clear the front axle, I learned a lot from my first build.

Also turn up the fuel screw, I have very close up how to do video on YouTube.
Injection pumps on 6.2 is calibrated for fuel efficiency, by turning up the screw it gives a lot more diesel, unbelievable difference.

REDROVER

Explorer
522211here is my experience with lots of 6.2 Humvee trucks,
normal unload soft top Humvee with full tank of fuel and doors is 6600 lb
I have driven many of them on the freeway, 6.2 does the job pulling the humvee up hill 55 mph, of it had 4th gear it would go definitely faster ( H1 does 90)
Non of those trucks had fuel screw turned up, if you later on put turbo or you want extra power you can turn up the screw.

Rage rover is a lot lighter 4600 lb and more aerodynamic with a lot less tire contact, 6.2 will not have any problem doing 75.

6.2 and 6.5 motors are basically gasoline engine design for diesel, those are hybrid engines what many professionals consider,

The only true Diesel engine 6.5 motor is P400 That was build and used on ECV humvees, but that motor was also 10 grand or more. Without anything on it, AM General stopped selling those because military didn’t wanna spend the money, no Humvee will ever see 500.000 miles.

6.2 motor will last 300.000 miles without any issue, injection pumps on those are the most misunderstood bulletproof pumps, same pump used on ford 7.3, also known as one of the best engines in ford community.

I personally never had any single issues with 6.2 or 6.5. And I have driven over 200.000 miles,
make sure to put a good water and fuel separator, eBay has nice units for only 65 bucks, from Oshkosh trucks, definitely put electric lift pomp no more than 13 psi,
And the most important part, CHECK VALVE on the fuel outflow line.

I’ll start a new tread soon,
I’ll post all the info what I am doing there,

Turbo 6.5 or turbo 6.2 (not sure yet ) NV4500, LT230

This was my last project,
Before and after, military Humvee that went to Kuwait and came back in 1991 during war, she has 6.5 TD and 4l80e now,
Range Rover is piece of cake after This project haha ATTACH type="full" alt="522209"]522209[/ATTACH]522210

Last edited:

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
I sold the truck. I finished it, and decided I wanted to get a defender. Since I import them anyway.

It was all working and I was just tired of the complexities of the of the packaging. It was a cool truck. Very clean and rust free. She went to Oregon with a new owner.

rrclassicbt550

Farmer Jon
Any idea where in Oregon? Was it a member on here?

I sold the truck. I finished it, and decided I wanted to get a defender. Since I import them anyway.

It was all working and I was just tired of the complexities of the of the packaging. It was a cool truck. Very clean and rust free. She went to Oregon with a new owner.

REDROVER

Explorer
Is your defender diesel ?
How do your compare the power and the torque of the 6.5? Mainly on the road.

Thank you.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
Yeah. Gotta find the right one for me.

I’m looking at a toyhauler with a 16’ garage. So I can haul a 110 in it. LOL

I want a 130. But they won’t fit.

So stay tuned for a 110 station wagon build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
Is your defender diesel ?
How do your compare the power and the torque of the 6.5? Mainly on the road.

Thank you.

The 6.5 had a bit more get up and go. The transmission with the shift kit made it really nice. Felt like it locked up better and shifted better.

If I do another swap. It’ll probably be a 4 cylinder inline diesel in a defender. There isn’t a lot of room in the engine bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles