Bringing Sexy Back. AKA 93' LWB RRC

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
You can't see much of the frame with the body lift. The only thing you will have to modify is your stock bumpers.

I'll take a few more pictures today. But I don't know if you'll be able to see much since it's still in the garage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
Transmission cooler lines kit showed up. Time to install them.

cb1562914dc5a5dc0df494a3c53d1500.jpg

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
My transmission lines have been fit and installed.

I'll be securing them to the frame with some rubber clamps to the frame. But I need to shorten up my battery cables for the winch and clean some stuff up on the passenger-side of the engine bay.

694e81d2f8c8d921c34caff6fd85f7aa.jpg

c86f1df649b795c59e886f787f2c2098.jpg

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
Things are coming to a head.

I have wired the fans for he radiator.

Changed the tranmission filter and filled it.

Filled the engine and radiator with water. Found a leak, sealed the leak, filled with more water.

Revamped the fuel filter location.

Just need to do the following:

Fill the transfer case. Then install the rear shaft.

Make some transmission and transfer case shift linkages.

Get some new batteries

Get the accessory belts and install

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
I got the exhaust about half way done. It took a couple hours to get this far. But I think it came out pretty good.

I ran out of shielding gas so I had to stop.

0e78b1b496d3a70dd876fbf690cc5a50.jpg

4554bc96a171a20960ca0d47cb1490b7.jpg

5e02a680bd1ea0c2be1c177fa34c415f.jpg

165279f68a50713870d0a893449c037d.jpg

58e9c981c80db5a0d60fd58d7ad40d8a.jpg

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
Finished the exhaust for now. I may extend it all to the back later. Depending on how annoying it is. But right now it sounds pretty good.

745d0a6e043819f2b704e8c1b5009e09.jpg

7187d893bf6c23f06d660c651bcffd27.jpg

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
I threw a belt on the engine so i could run the water pump and alternator. Its running pretty good. Although its pretty smokey. Im not sure if that's because it sat for about 10 years before I bought it. But it seems to idle and rev pretty good. I got it up to temperature. The electric fan kick on just fine. Alternator seems to be charging. So I only have a few more things to do.

Getting excited. My goal is to be driving it by the end of the month.

Here's a quick video. If anyone has some ideas as to why its smoking, let me know.

rrclassicbt550

Farmer Jon
Nice work!

I think I may have to copy a few of your ideas when I do my 6.2L swap. I am very interested in seeing how that radiator does. Seems to be one of the more difficult parts to get right for this particular swap. It's also a part I am still looking into before I buy. Not sure if I missed it while I was reading, but did you use the factory exhaust manifolds or the HMMWV manifolds? And for the A/C Compressor, have you thought about one from a Prius,Leaf, or Tesla?

Have a good one!
Jon

Here's a quick video. If anyone has some ideas as to why its smoking, let me know.

I'd have to read back a bit but you did a full rebuild right? Smoke on initial start up is very common for assembly oil in the cylinders and blow-by until the rings seat. Same goes for the rest of the engine if you did heads, cams, etc.... with assembly oil. New exhaust is very common to smoke as well.

Can't tell 100% the color of the smoke. If its white smoke, most likely un-burned fuel going through the exhaust which could be an injector(s). You can check for white smoke blow-by in the valve covers by pulling the cap on the valve cover if you have one, if not there is usually a PVC line or vent line somewhere on valve trains on any engine (white smoke). White smoke in the valve train will give you an indicator of one of the cylinders low on compression and not burning the fuel.

Finally, coolant also smokes white and usually has an associated smell so I would suggest checking coolant level as well.

Hope that helps you troubleshoot.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
So to answer a few questions.

I didn't rebuild the engine. Funny enough, I think the injection pump just died. It won't start now. LOL. I'm really not mad, I'm going to have some local guys rebuild it. I have an electric fuel pump with a regulator. I know its working fine. So, I'm going to pull it out and have them rebuild it next week. So I think that's the reason why it was also smoking so bad. Its been getting harder and harder to start. So, I think after this, it'll be a great motor.

I just have it filled with water right now. Its not using any. I always fill with water first to make sure there aren't any leaks. So far the levels haven't dropped at all.

It runs pretty good. Its loud in my garage. I think once I get it outside and running it won't be so bad. Even my 2013 Ram 2500 Cummins is somewhat loud in my garage and it still has all its emissions crap installed. Which makes it very quiet compared to older non-emissions trucks.

This video is the first time I ran it long enough to get it up to operating temperature. The electric fans only kicked on once. It seems to run pretty cool. And diesel engines do run cooler than their gas counterparts.

So, I'm pretty excited. I hope to have it on the road by the end of the month. I have it licensed and just need to get the insurance turned back on. Its been off for nearly 2 years.

Last edited:

cameron_a

Observer
sounds great! hope the smoke clears up with the recon pump. may need a refresh on the injectors, or maybe just a good run with some load on it?

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
I sprayed some MAF cleaner in it today and it fired right up. So I dropped it off the casters and drove it around the block. It's outside for the first time in over a year.

8bb760a786ce1543784fc059b46ee527.jpg

286d8d76c9d64b9d0f3449b5a8ea9816.jpg

2357f87fff600e5a6ab3dcd7272308b4.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior