Why the Toyota Land Cruiser is so expensive

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Yep I agree 100%. A friend of mine works at a gm dealer and a escalade came across his desk for north of 110 grand. A stupid escalade. I would buy a 200 series in a heartbeat.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

Scott Brady

Founder
When I was in Nagoya, at the TAB plant, the engineers said the 200 series Land Cruiser is the strongest Cruiser they have ever built. Tougher then the 70 series- pretty cool.

4Running

That is pretty cool.

I gotta say for all the griping you hear about the MSRP on new LC200's in the U.S., there are still good deals to be had and if you're paying anywhere near sticker you didn't do your homework. The facelifted 2016 is coming out this summer so the 2015's will be marked down even more (not that I'm expecting the '16's to start selling like hotcakes, so they ultimately should still be had at a more reasonable price than public perception). That said, I'd still be up for a 'blue collar' variant (e.g. GX) here, even if they had to be special ordered.

CYK

Adventurer
Nice article, thank you.

200s sold on avg < 3000 units per annum USA and will very likely continue to do so. Just as the article states, the lc is a niche vehicle with a very discerning buyer conditioned by my mantra "if you don't know, you don't know."

Even w/ "good deals", you're still looking at nearly $80k to drive a new one off the lot today. crazy to many. no substitutes to me unless going downmarket where I've got duffle bag cash in pocket to justify the downgrade.

I recall another cool article that suggests the lc200 powertrains are specially hand tuned/balanced by select Toyota takumis as it is their flagship model. No sir this is not a tundra, 4Runner. It's a lot more special. And no one cares, but a handful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

4Running

Depending on the region within USA, should be able to get new 200 for upper $60's (same prices people are paying for a couple year old pre-owned models). Still not inexpensive but not as bad as people think. It's the benefit of knowing what a great vehicle it is and no one else does -- not even the sales people. The cruisers just sit around on the lots to the chagrin of the dealerships. With a little effort, you can track one down in a color you like, work a nice deal via email and go pick it up.

Nyg500

Yes, I too have seen new 200's going for mid/high 60's with minimal negotiation. You need to find a dealer who has one or more in inventory though, which where I am in NYC is not easy. If you need to order one then most dealers around wont discount much off MSRP and they go into the whole story about how rare they are, hard to get, etc.. I've been thinking about flipping my G500 into one.

TexasTundra

Observer
Depending on the region within USA, should be able to get new 200 for upper $60's (same prices people are paying for a couple year old pre-owned models). Still not inexpensive but not as bad as people think. It's the benefit of knowing what a great vehicle it is and no one else does -- not even the sales people. The cruisers just sit around on the lots to the chagrin of the dealerships. With a little effort, you can track one down in a color you like, work a nice deal via email and go pick it up.

I agree completely. I've test driven a few including some at Toyota dealers, and it astounds me how no salesman knows what he's really selling. I find myself selling the salesman on the vehicle rather than the other way around.

4Running

When I bought mine, I weighed the negotiated price plus one way airfare versus transportation costs versus driving round trip to take delivery. I soon ruled out flying somewhere to pick it up or transport. (Definitely having a dealer order one or swap for another color, etc will eat into your negotiated price. But a little legwork on your part will get you in a new one at a decent price.) I live in SE VA and drove to NJ to take the solitary LC from the lot that had been there for something like seven months.

There's definitely guys that flip LCs every few years and I've heard some say they've never lost money doing that. I don't know because I bought it with the intention of driving it for 25 yrs...

The sales people have no idea what they've got on their hands. When I brought it in for the 5k service, the service tech asked flat out what it was... I've wondered if I'd be better off bringing it to Lexus since they see more LX's for service.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Nice article, thank you.

200s sold on avg < 3000 units per annum USA and will very likely continue to do so. Just as the article states, the lc is a niche vehicle with a very discerning buyer conditioned by my mantra "if you don't know, you don't know."

Even w/ "good deals", you're still looking at nearly $80k to drive a new one off the lot today. crazy to many. no substitutes to me unless going downmarket where I've got duffle bag cash in pocket to justify the downgrade.

I recall another cool article that suggests the lc200 powertrains are specially hand tuned/balanced by select Toyota takumis as it is their flagship model. No sir this is not a tundra, 4Runner. It's a lot more special. And no one cares, but a handful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Given how many Tesla's are around my area the LC is cheap beans today considering what your getting regarding the vehicle. We have several folks driving new LC's too but I would guess that they considered it the cheaper choice of the vehicles they were looking at. Another neighbor just replaced her 100 series which they owned since new with a BlueTec GL her daughter baby sits my kids once in a while. She said they considered another LC but she liked the added space in the GL and her husband liked the Blutech. I saw him at a local party and asked him about the bluetech after a few drinks and his comment was I will not confirm or deny that the bluetech will get 25mpg while doing far beyond legal speeds on a guys trip to vegas last week. I doubt the 200 LC could break 17mpg doing 100mph across rural CA and Nevada on a guys trip to Vegas. Then again the GL won't be seen in 4low climbing through the Andes either. LOL

jhanley

Observer
When I bought mine, I weighed the negotiated price plus one way airfare versus transportation costs versus driving round trip to take delivery. I soon ruled out flying somewhere to pick it up or transport. (Definitely having a dealer order one or swap for another color, etc will eat into your negotiated price. But a little legwork on your part will get you in a new one at a decent price.) I live in SE VA and drove to NJ to take the solitary LC from the lot that had been there for something like seven months.

There's definitely guys that flip LCs every few years and I've heard some say they've never lost money doing that. I don't know because I bought it with the intention of driving it for 25 yrs...

The sales people have no idea what they've got on their hands. When I brought it in for the 5k service, the service tech asked flat out what it was... I've wondered if I'd be better off bringing it to Lexus since they see more LX's for service.

Dealers are clueless. A colleague of mine took his 200 to the stealer-ship for a common "thunk" in the drive-line (easy fix under TSB). But, rather than doing any research, they told him it needed an entire rear diff!

Great article. I think most gearheads are in the know, so-to-speak, when it comes to Landcruisers. Don't think ANY other vehicle in existence has a better reliability reputation than Landcruiser.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Dealers are clueless. A colleague of mine took his 200 to the stealer-ship for a common "thunk" in the drive-line (easy fix under TSB). But, rather than doing any research, they told him it needed an entire rear diff!

Great article. I think most gearheads are in the know, so-to-speak, when it comes to Landcruisers. Don't think ANY other vehicle in existence has a better reliability reputation than Landcruiser.

Who cares. They replaced it for free right? What's his hurt and discontent?

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Who cares. They replaced it for free right? What's his hurt and discontent?

Free? No. His 200 is out of warranty. The stealer-ship wanted to charge 3k for a rear-diff. With a quick mud search, I had copy's of the TSB. Problem solved.

Good thing you saved the day huh :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior