Subaru xv owner checking in

14subiexv

Observer
Is that with or without the Yakima rack? I imagine that you are losing most from the rack more so than the lift and tires.
Actually, I lost the most mileage when I put the tires on. Before the wheels and tires I was getting around 29mpg. Left me baffled. Lol!

14subiexv

Observer
The CVT does not have a low range by the way. Trust me I have one and no its not a low range in the first ratio.
I can't say about the cvt trans, but the european market has a 1.6L 5spd manual version of the XV and has a high/low gearbox similar to the old gl's and brats exept the XV still stays in awd whether you select high or low range. Kinda wish we had that in the states.

toymaster

Explorer
We have one for the family grocery getter. We live in a place with 4 seasons and my wife is new to driving. Went through all the choices and the XV fit the bill in all counts. I have my trucks and jeep and equine for serious stuff. For on road travel, pavement or dirt, the car is as "auto" as you can get with the CVT and senors. The driver just has to worry about steering, and which pedal to apply pressure to. The car is a joy to drive, at least to me, and the fuel mileage is great considering the AWD capabilities. All in all I can see some model of a subaru in our family's future for a long time.

This year I plan on getting snow tires/rims and a summer set on the factory rims. Not sure yet how I want to handle the TPMS thing. We got it Christmas 2013 and have no regrets yet.

jf1sf5

Observer
I can't say about the cvt trans, but the european market has a 1.6L 5spd manual version of the XV and has a high/low gearbox similar to the old gl's and brats exept the XV still stays in awd whether you select high or low range. Kinda wish we had that in the states.

True :)

GregSplett

Adventurer

Perfect subaru for those that cut our teeth on an EA81.

This is what I mean by getting back to their roots.

14subiexv

Observer
Perfect subaru for those that cut our teeth on an EA81.

This is what I mean by getting back to their roots.
Unfortunately, we probably won't get that over in the states. I joke around with people and tell them USA gets the leftover cars that none of the other countries want. Lol!

14subiexv

Observer
Nice car. Had to look up "glass insulator hunting." Nuthin'likedat'roundhereparts...

:D There's alot of people that scratch there heads when I say I go glass insulator hunting. Most aren't worth much and there getting harder to find, but it's a fun hobby. Hear's a few pics of some of the ones I have20141214_174859.jpg0928141611.jpg

calicamper

Expedition Leader
:D There's alot of people that scratch there heads when I say I go glass insulator hunting. Most aren't worth much and there getting harder to find, but it's a fun hobby. Hear's a few pics of some of the ones I haveView attachment 295287View attachment 295288

My great Grand Father collected them, I have a box full of them some place in the garage he typically stuck to those stamped with power company names. Most going from memory here were blues and greens regarding glass types in various shapes and sizes etc.

What are those things worth these days? I should go dig them out see what I have.

You know in Europe Subaru sells so few cars it would be like looking at the Subaru sales numbers for Florida which enables Subaru to offer very low volume odd ball offerings like diesel and duel speed transfercases etc. They can't sell them here in the States because they don't have the capability of building enough to even put one on each dealer lot.

14subiexv

Observer
My great Grand Father collected them, I have a box full of them some place in the garage he typically stuck to those stamped with power company names. Most going from memory here were blues and greens regarding glass types in various shapes and sizes etc.

What are those things worth these days? I should go dig them out see what I have.

You know in Europe Subaru sells so few cars it would be like looking at the Subaru sales numbers for Florida which enables Subaru to offer very low volume odd ball offerings like diesel and duel speed transfercases etc. They can't sell them here in the States because they don't have the capability of building enough to even put one on each dealer lot.
Most glass insulators are worth $1 to maybe $5. Now if you had different colors like purples, cobalt blues, reddish pink colored insulators you could be talking alot more. The rarest ones are the earliest ones which were called "threadless" style meaning they had no thread on the inside. They were just pressed into place. Even a broken threadless style could go for $300 to $800.

Still wish Subaru could have more options like they do overseas. Oh well, can't do much about that though.

austintaco

Explorer
We are shopping XV's right now. I have had nothing but Toyota vehicles for the last 20 years (except one, cough cough, Dodge) but Subies have been dear to my heart since we had one growing up. (1984 GL wagon). We won't be doing heavy mods, but planning on a limited with moonroof and navigation in either khaki or Orange.

I'll check back here after we get ours.

14subiexv

Observer
We are shopping XV's right now. I have had nothing but Toyota vehicles for the last 20 years (except one, cough cough, Dodge) but Subies have been dear to my heart since we had one growing up. (1984 GL wagon). We won't be doing heavy mods, but planning on a limited with moonroof and navigation in either khaki or Orange.

I'll check back here after we get ours.

Good luck on getting your XV! If I needed a truck I would definitely get a toyota. There pretty bullet proof. I always wanted the exact 85' Toyota hilux that was on back to the future movie. You just can't find them in good shape. There always beaten up and or rusted out.
Toyotafest-2014-63-copy-1200x800.jpg

Last edited:

14subiexv

Observer
LOVE that Crosstrek! What size wheels/tires did you go with?
Thanks Thirty-Nine,

They are General Grabber AT2 225/70R15. The wheels are Method Racing MR 502 VT-Spec 15x7 + 15. They rub the mud flaps and inner fender liner slightly, but it only does that when I turn hard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne