Subaru xv owner checking in

austintaco

Explorer
It appears that we are going to have to order one in. Tangerine Orange is a popular color, with only one limited Tangerine with Moonroof and navigation left in the state and it is being used as a demo. Interestingly enough, my wife asked me if its possible to put a rack and a tent on top of one.....YES!

14subiexv

Observer
It appears that we are going to have to order one in. Tangerine Orange is a popular color, with only one limited Tangerine with Moonroof and navigation left in the state and it is being used as a demo. Interestingly enough, my wife asked me if its possible to put a rack and a tent on top of one.....YES!

Congrats austintaco your going to love it!

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv

I need your wife to talk to my wife. To my wife, an overland vehicle is only a way to ruin a perfectly good hike (to paraphrase Mark Twain.) :coffee:

fatrat

SE Expedition Society
Gorgeous XV! My dd is a '13 XV and love it. I went w/ the 5-speed as well by preference and don't regret it at all. I am still amazed how good it handles on fire roads, in the snow, and thru shallow water crossings. I also get tons of compliments & questions on it even though it's pretty much stock.

14subiexv

Observer
Gorgeous XV! My dd is a '13 XV and love it. I went w/ the 5-speed as well by preference and don't regret it at all. I am still amazed how good it handles on fire roads, in the snow, and thru shallow water crossings. I also get tons of compliments & questions on it even though it's pretty much stock.
Thanks fatrat,
XV's in 5spd manual form arn't that common. The dealership where I bought mine had to dealer trade it from another Subaru dealership from Ohio. Just like you, I don't regret the choice!

colodak

Adventurer
My ex gf and her parents used to have a couple of boxes of those insulators in the garage. They had a cabin up in the mountains, and those things were all over from when the power lines were installed, they had a lot of brown or red brown colored. Don't know what she did with them. Any time we would go off-roading, she would look for old power poles or old telegraph poles leading up to the mines and ghost towns, wherever there was evidence of a pole, we would stop so she could look for them.

14subiexv

Observer
My ex gf and her parents used to have a couple of boxes of those insulators in the garage. They had a cabin up in the mountains, and those things were all over from when the power lines were installed, they had a lot of brown or red brown colored. Don't know what she did with them. Any time we would go off-roading, she would look for old power poles or old telegraph poles leading up to the mines and ghost towns, wherever there was evidence of a pole, we would stop so she could look for them.
Haha! That's pretty cool! I would be doing the same thing! If they were glass insulators they might be worth something, but if there just ceramic insulators there probably not worth much. There are a few collector's that collect ceramic ones but if I got a hold of the ceramics I would be more tempted to shoot them with my .410. Haha! Don't know why, but just not a big fan of those.

Last edited:

azxtrek

Nice Crosstrek dude. How was the ride after the Primitive lift? Heard the springs make it a bit stiffer maybe not quite as good off-road. I'm waiting for my 2016 Desert Khaki CVT due next month, planning on doing most of what you've done. I have a Gorilla bar on order, got 16" Sparco wheels getting powder coated black with 215/65R16 BFG KM2's, spoiler, basket, flaps, few other things but haven't decided on the lift yet. Between Primitive and Anderson that has the built in camber adj.

dman93

Adventurer
Based on my experience with a Forester 5 speed I owned for 10 years, I'd get an automatic or CVT if/when I get another Subie. For my 99% street driving I prefer a manual, and for 80% of the dirt I did it was fine (or fun) but with the tall gearing, there were places where painful clutch slip, or excessive speed and bouncing off hard parts (or both) were the only painful options. I got Primitive skid plates to make the latter more bearable, but in the end, just like with the "real" 4x4's I've owned, I'd prefer an auto. How is the Crosstrek CVT for crawling and descents, and is it ok on the highway, specifically long grades and rolling twisties like we have out West?

By the way, we found a glass insulator once, cleaned it up and stuck it on the mantle and forgot about it. I just pulled it down and Googled it ... it's a Hemingray-10 from 1945. No chips or cracks. Thanks for helping me learn something new today!

p nut

butter
How is the Crosstrek CVT for crawling and descents, and is it ok on the highway, specifically long grades and rolling twisties like we have out West?

I don't have a Crosstrek, but I do have a newer Outback with CVT. Highways are great. We have some good, steep mountain passes around here and it moves right up with no problems. No "downshifting" or hunting for gears feels nice. Just stomp the pedal and off it goes. No crawling experience, but on dirt roads, it does fine there, too. For what the vehicle is made for, CVT is a good match, in my experience.

Only minor thing I don't like is the loud whining noise. Not bad, especially if you listen to music, but definitely noticeable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles