Subaru xv owner checking in

14subiexv

Observer
Hello all,

My names Michael and I'm from Indiana. I've owned this xv since 2013 and love it. Since owning it I've put a few add ons on it. Some of the modifications include, primitive racing 2" lift, General Grabber AT2 tires with method racing wheels, Gorilla offroad bullbar bar with clevis rings, 1/8" thick undercover, hella 500 yellow and 500ff clear driving lights on it, Gorilla mudflaps, and yakima roof rack.

I don't go hard core off roading in it, mainly I built it to go glass insulator hunting. Going on the abandoned railroads on or near the corn fields would take a toll on the factory rims, tires, and suspension. Anyways, hear's a few pics of the car.
20150501_201953.jpg20150501_201902.jpg20150501_202116.jpg20150501_202022.jpg

Last edited:

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
PLEASE don't use those tabs on the light bar for recovery

UNLESS its the version of the gorilla that is subframe connected like at 6 bolts

14subiexv

Observer
PLEASE don't use those tabs on the light bar for recovery

UNLESS its the version of the gorilla that is subframe connected like at 6 bolts

It's the real deal. It's bolted 6 places on the sub frame. Haven't really used them too much. Mainly got them so if I get stuck or have to pull someone out of the snow I wouldn't have to use the screw in eyelet from the factory.

14subiexv

Observer
Really thinking about picking one of these up.
There not bad. About 2 winters ago we had 2 3ft. snow drifts right out side the garage. Cleared away about 100 ft with the shovel then went for it in the subie. Went right over the snow without a problem! That was before I put the lift on it.

GregSplett

Adventurer
That is one sweet suby!

When I first saw one of those I thought to my self suby is getting back to its roots some with it.Then I peaked underneath and saw it all exposed and said "almost".

Any pics of it underneath?

14subiexv

Observer
That is one sweet suby!

When I first saw one of those I thought to my self suby is getting back to its roots some with it.Then I peaked underneath and saw it all exposed and said "almost".

Any pics of it underneath?

Hear's some pics underneath.
20150501_202209.jpg
20150501_202146.jpg20150131_125137.jpg

14subiexv

Observer
what do you mean? My outback has almost nothing exposed. its flat underneath

I like those new Outback's. I traded a fully loaded 08 Outback XT on the XV. It had the same yakima rack, rally innovations bull bar and at one time 4 hella 700ff's on it. I wish the new Outback's had a 5spd option.

14subiexv

Observer
why? The CVT has a low range. manual transmissions in Subaru is obsolete
Just a personal preference for the most part. The CVT fluid is expensive compared to gear oil. Also if the cvt transmission ever goes out it is way too salty to replace. I used to work for a Subaru dealership, and they had to price one out on the previous styled outback under warranty. The dealerships price was $5,500. That was before they marked it up which wasn't much. Can't imagine what one would cost on a new outback.

kmroxo

Observer
Looks sharp. Have you done any city/highway gas mileage checks after all your mods?

Last edited:

14subiexv

Observer
Looks sharp. Have you done any city/highway gas mileage checks after all your mods?
Thanks kmroxo,
It's mainly a highway driven car. Before the mods I was getting around 32-33mpg average. After the modifications the highest I got was 28mpg.

kmroxo

Observer
Is that with or without the Yakima rack? I imagine that you are losing most from the rack more so than the lift and tires.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The basket style rack was a 5mpg hit on my legacy and my OB when I borrowed it for a highway trip. My roof box is a 1-2mpg hit. That 5mpg hit only shows up in the 65mph and up speeds under 65mph its not easily figured given it or the bikes on the lid seem to not play much role in the mileage at sub 65mph speeds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94