"Detailing" prior to sale: Have you done it? Worth the $$?

Arclight

SAR guy
In Oklahoma, just having the title seems to be enough to make a car stand out. It always amazes me at the piles of cr@$ people try to sell without title like its the last of its kind or something.

You're not kidding about that one. When I was looking at Jeeps a few years ago, several different people tried to sell me aCJ that was sitting in their back yard with absolutely _zero_ paperwork. "Oh, it belonged to this friend of my son, who went to Iraq, but then he got out of the Army and now he lives in North Carolina and his dog bit me and he said my son could have it, but the title got wet, so my ex-wife threw it away. It's only $5 and six seconds of work to get it all taken care of at the DMV. I'm just too busy. I can't take less than $9,000, since it has a custom bumper. You have cash now?"

Along those lines, if you're in CA or another smog state: Go ahead and get it smogged now at your own expense. This will eliminate another headache and opportunity for the buyer to grind you down at the mechanic after you agree on a price. Having all of the paperwork, registration, and receipts in a nice clean folder shows you cared about the car.

Also, another +1 on spending maybe up to $200 on detail and cleaning. Also, make sure the battery is relatively fresh and it starts up immediately.

Arclight

zelatore

Explorer
I would most likely recommend having it detailed or doing it yourself. As somebody already said, fit's impressions make all the diference.

But there's no way your getting a professional to detail a rig for $150. Figure more like $4-500. It's a FULL day of work. Do you put in 8 or more hours for $150?

There are lots of "detailers" who are little more than a guy with a hose and a rag who might offer to wax your car on the cheep. That's not detailing and isn't worth the money. Heck, I've seen these guys just start waxing or polishing on a car they haven't even washed first. Brilliant.

Find a good quality reputable shop. They will be able to remove many scratches as long as they aren't through the clear and can make a major improvement in the lok of your truck. Obviously the more valuable your rig the more it pays to detail it - I wouldn't bother on a $2000 car, but on a $20,000 absolutely.

climber-420

Adventurer
Curious but how much are people paying for a full detail? I just Googled a few of the companies here in Denver, for some reason they seem reluctant to post prices, I would guess because this is a highly competitive local industry.

Go to the Octopus Car Wash on Colfax/Wads. Best place ever.

PHeller

Adventurer
While paint and interior cleanliness certainly help, I'm more impressed by someone who not only knows their vehicle and can prove its service history, but someone who is motivated to sell.

You can have the nicest paint and interior, but if you don't know a damn thing about your truck, have no receipts, and can't recall the last time it had an oil change, I'm going to be a bit concerned.

Hutch434

Observer
You never can predict who is going to want to purchase your vehicle. Wives tend to be a huge part of the decision making for a big purchase. Mine says if they can't vacuum the interior prior to a sale, they probably didn't change the oil on time either...

GHI

Adventurer
You only have one chance to make a first impression.

A good detail and buff will be worth it

I agree with that statement. You can find reputable shops in my area for at or about $100. It is certainly worth it in my opinion.

poriggity

Explorer
I would pay to have it detailed immediately before taking for sale pictures. Then take pictures and post for sale. Around here I had a full detail and clay bar treatment done on my dodge for $185.

Derek24

Explorer
I detail cars as my second job and I strongly agree it's money well spent. I've had several clients and even myself get more for a well cleaned car.

zelatore

Explorer
I detail cars as my second job and I strongly agree it's money well spent. I've had several clients and even myself get more for a well cleaned car.

Care to give us an idea what you would get for a typical SUV? I'm about due to go over my LR3 but I don't know if I'm going to use the same guy I used last time. Good job, but pricey.

Derek24

Explorer
Care to give us an idea what you would get for a typical SUV? I'm about due to go over my LR3 but I don't know if I'm going to use the same guy I used last time. Good job, but pricey.

I does get pricey, especially at a shop. I detail cars on the side, after work or on my days off. Depending on the size of the car and condition and what the customer wants the price varies. But overall I work with daily drivers, not looking for a detail that takes a couple days and lots of hundred dollars. Small cars to big SUV and trucks range from $100-150. I'm mobile too. Takes me about four hours, four steps: wash, clay, Polish, wax.

Xrunner

Explorer
In my opinion it's definitely worth it, especially since I have an affinity for black vehicles. I feel you get a better value for cars you trade in too since the shop doesn't need to spend hours to try and make the car look sellable. And there's no risk that stains/etc might not come out.

The normal place I use here in Greeley charges $150 for a mid-sized SUV, or $100 if you are a regular customer who comes in every month or two. They do a wash/wax/polish?/interior detail and clean the carpets.

98WhiteT4R

Adventurer
If you have the time and products I would do it yourself. A good detail will take you probably half a day but at least you're not spending money on a car your selling. However, if you dont have the time then I would get it detailed but I probably wouldnt pay more then about $150. Its more about keeping the car clean until it is sold then anything else. It doesn't really matter if you spend $500 getting it detailed if by the next week its a mess again.

bjp

Rez roamer, dog wrangler
Curious but how much are people paying for a full detail? I just Googled a few of the companies here in Denver, for some reason they seem reluctant to post prices, I would guess because this is a highly competitive local industry.

I caved and got my wife's Sienna detailed last year. I got the basic option, and it was $240. Man, oh man, was it looking good when I picked it up. We're in Durango; everything is expensive here. EVERYTHING. You could probably get an adequate basic detail done for well under that in Denver, I would think. Lots of competition there, I'm sure, just as you say.

By "basic" I mean that they didn't do the outside of the car (wax, etc). They did get every single piece of dirt and every dog hair out of the inside, though. That thing was at least as clean as it was new. Absolutely awesome job.

I have to ask, though.... what's with this crazy talk: "and since it's approaching 140k miles, I think I would want to replace it soon anyway." ????

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I have to ask, though.... what's with this crazy talk: "and since it's approaching 140k miles, I think I would want to replace it soon anyway." ????
Well, I know Toyotas are good for a lot of miles (as are most other vehicles nowadays, to be honest) but the closer to 150k I get the more "itchy" I get to sell, if for no other reason than I like to sell my vehicles while they still retain a lot of their resale value. But it's not just the miles The primary use for my vehicle has changed since I got the 4runner. I don't really go "off roading" the way I used to and in any case, we have a Jeep (the wife's YJ) if we want to go 'wheeling in the mountains. We also have a heavier trailer now and my truck's primary role is as a tow vehicle. While I would rate the 4runner "adequate" as a tow vehicle, that's about the best I can say. Performance is marginal and MPG is abysmal. I need something longer, with a bigger engine, and a bigger gas tank to make a better towing platform. If I'm going to get 10 - 12 MPG then I want to have a big, powerful vehicle (with a correspondingly big gas tank) to do it in. Current contenders are likely to be a Chevy Avalanche or Suburban.

bjp

Rez roamer, dog wrangler
Well, I know Toyotas are good for a lot of miles (as are most other vehicles nowadays, to be honest) but the closer to 150k I get the more "itchy" I get to sell, if for no other reason than I like to sell my vehicles while they still retain a lot of their resale value. But it's not just the miles The primary use for my vehicle has changed since I got the 4runner. I don't really go "off roading" the way I used to and in any case, we have a Jeep (the wife's YJ) if we want to go 'wheeling in the mountains. We also have a heavier trailer now and my truck's primary role is as a tow vehicle. While I would rate the 4runner "adequate" as a tow vehicle, that's about the best I can say. Performance is marginal and MPG is abysmal. I need something longer, with a bigger engine, and a bigger gas tank to make a better towing platform. If I'm going to get 10 - 12 MPG then I want to have a big, powerful vehicle (with a correspondingly big gas tank) to do it in. Current contenders are likely to be a Chevy Avalanche or Suburban.

Well, those are all fair points. I'd let what-I-need-the-truck-to-do drive the choice before mileage; I thought you were basing your decision to sell on mileage, so I will retract my "crazy talk" comment. Not necessarily the vehicles that would make the top of my list, but certainly reasonable choices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz