Rekkam Plateau Morocco

Tembo

topless adventures
Elbee...

Ahhh...the Series III front end. Actually, I did it for three reasons. First was that yes, I did have border crossing issues. On my first trip to Morocco the truck had the usual Defender front end and it was painted NATO green. I was refused entry at the border in Cueta. My friends had already crossed and bought a bucket of white emulsion paint and a bottle of dye they passed back through to me. So on a side street in Cueta I mixed it up and got pink paint. Having no choice I painted my truck pink. When I got back to the border the guards had a good laugh and then waved me through. After the trip I decided to reduce the military look as much as I could, without losing the real character of the truck. I always preferred the Series traditional look and after installing an electric rad fan and removing the old fan and cowling I had enough room to stand comfortably between the engine block and the rad....so lots of room. I bought a larger V8 radiator and an old Series III bonnet and did the mod. No one thinks of a Series III as military anymore, so on the second trip to Morocco was waved right through. I also prefer the 'traditional' look. Finally, it makes my truck a bit unique, which I appreciate.

Here is a pic of my desert 'pinkie'

Tembo small 1.jpg

Tembo

topless adventures
Unkamonkey...

I hear you. I have never been down that way yet, but one day when I finally ship Tembo back to Canada, I plan to go and tour the southwest. Maybe hit the Overland event they hold in Nevada(?). But yes, you don't have to be particularly religious to have one of those 'wonder' moments.

219CXR

Good report, fine photos. Look like a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing.
As a Frontera owner I want to ask you how your Frontera works, especially on rough terrain, like in Morocco desert ?

Tembo

topless adventures
The Frontera worked pretty well for the most part. Steve, my buddy who took it on the trip has used it greenlaning for year and had no issues. In Morocco he had two problems...first he overloaded it as he had not done this kind of trip before and brought way too much gear and supplies. That ended up doing in his suspension, especially in the rocky sections. The other issue was that when he did try to find parts Moroccan mechanics and shops had never even heard of a Vauxhall before, so no luck. Steve is coming on the next trip as well but considering changing to a Land Rover as parts are just easier to come by.

219CXR

The Frontera worked pretty well for the most part. Steve, my buddy who took it on the trip has used it greenlaning for year and had no issues. In Morocco he had two problems...first he overloaded it as he had not done this kind of trip before and brought way too much gear and supplies. That ended up doing in his suspension, especially in the rocky sections. The other issue was that when he did try to find parts Moroccan mechanics and shops had never even heard of a Vauxhall before, so no luck. Steve is coming on the next trip as well but considering changing to a Land Rover as parts are just easier to come by.

Thank you for reply.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles