Nnamssorxela's '03 Montero: Daily Driver and Adventure Mobile

nnamssorxela

Adventurer
Now that most of my maintenance is caught up, I decided that it’s finally time for a “build” thread to provide motivation and momentum to get some work done. I bought the Montero to have a capable mountain adventure and off-roading vehicle which could still be a used as a daily driver and handle time on the interstate with some level of comfort and economy.

When I brought it home:

A little stitch job on the bumper:

I’d never really gone off-roading in a truck before, but after a little research I went ahead and purchased a hi-lift jack, Off-Road Kit, and recovery strap in the event that my lack of experience or stubborn attitude got me stuck. I’ve stashed this and some other general gear where my third row used to be.

Once I got some of the basics, I planned a short off-road trip on some mild trails. I quickly came up with a list of tasks and must have modifications/purchases to improve my general experience.

Some of the must haves on the list were:
- Tire deflator (purchased); letting air out was a time consuming guess and check process, but allowed my highway tires to grip far better than I had ever imagined.
- Compressor (purchased); I lucked out and found a gas station less than a mile from the end of the trail on my first trip, but the thought of pumping my tires up with a bike pump made this one of my first purchases. I went with the Smittybilt compressor due to airflow and cost. For now I’m using this as a portable compressor, but I’d like to eventually mount it in a box underneath the body and hard wire it in.
-Lift (purchased); I searched forever for a plush lift that didn’t sacrifice wheel travel. After little success I finally caved and went with the OME lift. In general, I’m pretty happy with the outcome.
- Sliders; I experienced a little rash so far, and I think these guys will be a necessity and help me load stuff on the roof if needed. In the process of building these.
- Switch to prevent the radio antenna from rising when using the Bluetooth adapter. I was finding that wheeling alone was made better with music, but that the antenna was constantly snagging branches, and that it was only a matter of time before I was replacing a snapped antenna.
- Tires (purchased); I needed new tires and after much research I settled on the Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx. I went back and forth between 235/85r16 and 255/85r16 and eventually got the 235s as I hoped the skinnier profile would help offset my mpg drop, and after all, this is a daily driver as well.
- Sway bar disconnects; hoping these will allow my wheels to remain on the ground longer and work out my traction control less. I’m still thinking of the best way to fabricate these.
- Rear (and front) bumpers; building out of 1.5” tube. These will hopefully give me a better approach angle and allow me to mount lights and accessories as needed. The rear bumper will also allow me to move my hitch receiver which currently drags and hangs up on absolutely everything.

Last edited:

nnamssorxela

Adventurer
After the OME lift:

Cleaned up the front end a little.
Before:

During:

After:

Some post lift offroading:

Tires are on the top of the list:

Skid plates are getting up on the list as well:

Tires got installed today. Rear camber/toe bolts were seized, so I have to fix those and take it back to the alignment shop before I test them out:

Last edited:

plh

Explorer
looking good!

What mpg are you seeing (steady highway @70mph) with you 235s? I'm seeing about 19 with mine.

Marutuk

KK6WFB
Looking good! I would definitely get some rock sliders, they saved me many times already.

As for best practices, try to find a group to go wheeling with, that way you can try out places you haven't visited yet and in the case you get stuck, others can help you out. :)

nnamssorxela

Adventurer
Mummified, I have a general idea of what I want them to look like, but no template. Eventually I'll pull the bumpers off to see what I'm working with underneath.

Marutuk, that's the plan! I have a couple buddies with 4runners who recently got the itch, and my roommate has a lifted Forrester to accompany me on the easier trails.

Can't wait to armor up and get out there. The important part of the sliders should be on the car this weekend.

nnamssorxela

Adventurer
Thanks y'all. It has been incredibly wet and unseasonably rainy in CO, but I'm not complaining!

Made up the first part of my sliders last week:

Gluing them in place :agree:....

Welded up:

Primed:

And painted on the car doing their job:

Last edited:

cdrake

Looks very nice and it seems like I'm going in a very similar direction as you right now. I'm icurrently n the process of deciding on a new set of tires for my '03 Montero Limited with the Medium Duty OME lift and have a few questions.

Did you purchased a full size spare as well and if so does it fit in the factory location on the rear door? Are you happy with the tire size choice (235/85/R16 vs 255/85/R16) as well as the Coopers.

Has anyone running 255/85/R16 figured out a good way to mount a full size spare in the factory location? It doesn't seem like this tire would fit without interfering with the bumper?

Currently have 265/70/R16 Cooper A/T3and trying to decide between three sizes for the new set 265/75/R16, 235/85/R16, and 255/85/R16. I really would like to run a full size spare in the factory location and in addition, I don't want to deal with rubbing or regearing issues at this time.

I've been reading the forum for some time now but this is my first post. I would appreciate any advice you may have from your experience.

Thanks!

nnamssorxela

Adventurer
AutoXSS- Forgive all the dirt. I used the stock running board brackets, and have the sliders tight against the pinch weld. All the body on frame guys would say that this is wrong, but with a unibody (and weak running board brackets) I feel that this will help support the sliders and distribute the load. Before I even welded the brackets on, I was able to jack the entire car up using the square tube on the pinch weld, and the brackets really just hold things in place. I will be adding tubular kick-outs to the sliders, and I hope the stock brackets will be able to handle the side load.

(Added for reference: I'm using 1.5" .120" wall HREW tubing (not DOM) for the kick outs, and the part that they connect to that runs under the pinch weld is 2" .188" square tube. There are 3 pieces of ~2.5" .250" C-channel that hold them to the car at the factory running board locations.)

cdrake- I did not purchase a full size spare. If I pop one in the middle of nowhere, I'm confident that I can limp my way back on the stock size spare. I am however keeping my eyes peeled for a used tire that matches the others, otherwise I'll wait until these wear out and put a used one where the spare is.

I've seen people make brackets like this one to relocate the spare:

I spent a lot of time researching tires and sizes and while I really wanted the 255/85s for the extra clearance (only 1/2 inch) and beefy look. I feel that the 235s are more practical since this is a vehicle that will see daily driving and highway use in the mountains with stock gearing. And if the "narrow" look is something holding you back, they really do not seem that narrow at all. As far as sizing goes, I think a big 265 will hurt economy and drive-ability (and potentially rub?) more than is worth it for the appearance.

All things considered, I only have a couple city miles on these tires so I can't really give solid advice. Give me another couple weeks and I'll be able to report back. In the middle of cutting out my control arms and track arms to replace the eccentric bolts for an alignment and it is a pain in the ***.

Last edited:

plh

Explorer
I currently have 235/85/R16 on my '05 kinda wish I would have gone with 255/85/R16. At one point I had a set of 255/85/R16 (Trailcutter R/T) on my '88 and really like the way they look, a little taller and wider than the 235's. A lot less choices for brands/models however in 255 and I don't think any A/T type are available any more.

235s are really pizza cutters.

I like that spare tire spacer and may make one myself. Its a bit of a pain to strap on the Trasharoo the way the spare tucks against the door now.

cdrake

Thanks guys for the very helpful information. I had been thinking of some kind of bracket for the spare tire mount but hadn't come up with anything as simple and clean as what you posted. This idea will come in handy if I do take the 255/85/R16 route.

Thanks for the help and best of luck getting everything sorted out with the alignment. I am looking forward to seeing the progress with the build. Your write-ups are great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles