1st dual sport

preacherman

Explorer
Ok I have been looking at dual sport bikes lately and I need some advice. I really want to get a "starter" bike. In other words I do not want to go and get a 650 my first bike out of the box bc I will most like learn on it, and sell it in a few years when I can save more.

So here are my parameters and ideas. Let me know what you think.

1. I want a bike to ride on trails/fire roads and some light commuting (so it must be street legal). I live 2 miles from work and sometimes ride my mtb bike but other times I would like to ride the DS.
2. I am good with a wrench so a light "project" does not scare me. I also worked in a bike shop and used to work on downhill bikes so suspension works does not scare me either.
3. I only have about $1000 to work with

So here is what I have found so far.

A 86 KLR250 with 21K for $900
(I really like the KLR but is that allot of miles for a bike?)

A brand new Lifan (china) 200 for $1,100
(I have been reading chinariders.com but still don't know how I feel about a china bike)

A super sherpa 250 for $800 that needs a new ring and piston
(a great bike but what else does it need????)

A 88 KTM350 d/cc (don't know much about these)

Any advice?

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
IMO, you should not be concerned with a 650cc for your first bike....particularly a dual sport.

The problem I see with the little bikes (KLR 250, etc) is that they are just to small to put them on a freeway. Even my 650GS is a bit on the small side. I usually have to stick with the slow lane on the freeway....at 80mph.

Your commute may not take you on the freeway, but what about getting to/from the trail?

Also, if you are sticking to maintained dirt roads, you don't *have* to have a dual sport. I see plenty of small (and not so small) cruisers on the dirt roads around here. Put a decent set of tires on them, they do pretty well. Now, if you are planning on hitting the unmaintained roads...yea, go for the dual sport.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
Yeah, what he said. I just got a small dual sport (Suzuki DR200SE) as my first motorcycle and I would have been fine on a 650 provided I could get toes of both feet down. That said, I still think the smaller bike was the right choice for me and it's a hoot to ride.

I recommend taking the MSF beginners class. Besides learning to ride on somebody else's bike, here in Mass. at least, it also means you don't have to take a separate motorcycle test and you get 10% off your insurance.

Cheers,
Graham

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
grahamfitter said:
Yeah, what he said. I just got a small dual sport (Suzuki DR200SE) as my first motorcycle and I would have been fine on a 650 provided I could get toes of both feet down. That said, I still think the smaller bike was the right choice for me and it's a hoot to ride.

I recommend taking the MSF beginners class. Besides learning to ride on somebody else's bike, here in Mass. at least, it also means you don't have to take a separate motorcycle test and you get 10% off your insurance.

Cheers,
Graham

I don't get a break on insurance, but I did not have to take the test at the MVD. The very last thing we did in the class was take the MVD test, given by the MSF course instructors (they are certified to give the test here in AZ after they have taught the class X number of times).

The MSF course is definately a good idea for a new rider. Good advice.

preacherman

Explorer
My drive to work is almost all on residential streets and I live in a smaller town (100,000 people) so I would be doing very little freeway driving (almost none) and I plan on driving my truck to the trails.

The reason I want a dual is because i spend a lot of time in New Mexico (we have a cabin there). Most of the trails there are connected by forest roads and dirt roads. It would be possible to ride all day if the bike could do short periods on the road between trails. Guessing on the type of riding I will be doing I would say 85% single track, 10% dirt/fire road and 5% pavement.

I don't know why but even though I have ridden motorcycles before the thought of a 650 kind of intimates me. A smaller, more maneuverable bike sounds good.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
The mild 650s are good for beginners (Not a XR650R, hence the "mild"), as the power band is very easy, and about 30hp will be fine.

Given those, I'd stay away from the Chinese bike....

If you'd like a project bike, the Super Sherpa is a nice choice. I'm not sure about part availability though...

-H-

Clutch

<---Pass
That KTM is a two stroke. http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/ktm_enduro_350_1988.php Not a beginner bike.

A Honda XR 250/400 is what I would go with. You can find them plated, sometimes. Aircooled, no radiators to worry about smashing, these bikes are bomb proof, great beginner bike. They are everywhere, easy to get parts for. A slew of after market, can make these bikes mild or wild, fantastic platform to build from. http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/mcy/668018265.html

If you don't mind mixing gas...a Kawasaki KDX 200/220 is a good beginner bike too. http://atlanta.craigslist.org/mcy/667576088.html Lightish weight, mellow power, 2-strokes are easy to rebuild.

My buddy rode a KDX 200 in Baja, no problem what so ever.

If you are doing mainly single track, get a dirt bike that is street legal.

A Grand to spend is a bit lean, it is going to be really hard to find something that isn't roached out, then you'll be pouring money into it. Parts can ad up real quick.

For the love of everything on two wheels, stay away from those China bikes...parts availablity...yeah right...it will leave you stranded in the middle of no where.

Last edited:

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
I'll throw in my recomendation for the XR250-400 as well.
The Klx300 is a good mild beginner bike as well. It was my first.
I then got a yz426 and found it way to high strung for trail riding.
The XR was great. Good power, almost NO maintanence except for oil changes, filter changes and lubing.

In that price range look for an older XR250 I'd say. :peepwall:

preacherman

Explorer
after looking some more I decided to "up" my spending amount. I got a few new leads. A 2001 KLR,a 2007 KLX, and a 2006 xt225. I will post up if I get something.

Like the others, I think that the China bikes would be a poor choice. Parts availability and reliability/quality are all low points to those bikes.

Also, I'll second that it sounds like a dirtbike with a plate is more what you might be looking for since you're interested in mostly single-trac. The oters recommended the Honda XR's, and those are good. I'll also throw out there that Honda made an XL 250 (street legal version of the XR) for a few years in the mid-late 90's that would likely be right up your alley. I had one when they were brand new and regret getting rid of it, it was capable off-road, and great for runnin' around town.

The other option that you might consider is to contact your DMV and inquire about what it would take to plate an off-road motorcycle. Some states just won't do it (like Oregon :mad:), but some states are pretty liberal about it (such as AZ and ID)... see what it takes in your state. Any of the major brand bikes clearly state "For off road use only" on the title, and make sure that you tell the DMV that it says that. The exception is the KTM motorcycles, which are relatively easy to plate (just add a dual-sport kit) because of the lack of that phrase on their titles. So... a used 4-stroke KTM might be a good thing as well.

If you're really wanting aggressivive single-trac, then I'd say that the XL 250, or a plated dirtbike is your best option. If you want to ride through the woods on mild single-trac, then a dual-sport bike would be good... actually, a DR350 might be something to consider as well.

Either way, I'd say stay away from 2-strokes, and definitely stay away from the Chinese bikes.

Good luck!

Last edited:

preacherman

Explorer
Locally I am not finding much. Yesterday I did find a 2004 KTM exc450 that had already been "converted" to street legal. It was a rocket and was so cherry, but just out of my price range. I have found a few KLR's but they seem more for road riding.

preacherman

Explorer
I am in west Texas, Midland to be exact. I scraped together some more money, so know my budget is a little better (in the $2,500 range) so I am hopefully I will find something.

My 2nd biggest problem is that I am having trouble deciding what type of dual sport. I really want something street legal or that can be made street legal and I am leaning toward a street legal trail bike but....I am finding lots of KLR's which lean more towards street than trail. The advantage on a KLR would be the ability to do expo motorcycle trips, something that would be hard on a street legal trail bike.

trooper_dude

a DR350 might be something to consider as well.
I'll second that, I'm in the market for one myself.

very affordable bikes, reliable and suitable to learn on with plenty of mod potential as you progress as a rider. there's also a variety of big bore options all the way up to 441cc.

and did I mention they're affordable? :roost:

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
preacherman said:
update::::
I just found a '98 KTM 380 exc near by. Anyone know much about these bikes?

I know you will need deeper pockets to own a KTM. My choice would be the KLR's. They have a great after market support. And the Hondas do too. If you have any plans on riding anything at any altitude in New Mexico I would say get as much in the CC dept as you can.

And don't let the street ability of the KLR's push you away. They will single track well enough for your experience. Most expert riders will complain but us non professional riders have no problem with them because we don't ride them to the limit of the suspension. And you will be happier with a street seat than a dirt bike seat on your commute. Trust me on that one!

Any Dual Sport Bike you choose will need tweaking to fit your riding style. They all do. No bike is perfect unless you find a used bike from a guy who rides like you do, and has already set it up.

I've been riding more than 40 years on a big variety of different types of bikes. From peel your skin off crotch rockets to laid back falling asleep touring bikes to cruisers that took two city blocks to turn around. One of my favorites when I was 20 was a boring Honda XL 175. It got me to work just fine for years (15 miles) and we trailered it to Colorado and New Mexico and from our base camps we went to see what was on top of the Mountain. It served me well, course I was only 145 lbs then too. Two years ago I pulled the trigger on a KLR 650. And have never wished I'd bought a different bike. Sure, it's not the fastest bike on the block, and it is tall. It does all the riding I like to do. I have ridden it to the Mountains and I commute on it to work 40 miles one way. And on the Freeway half the way. I tuned it to fit me and redid the suspension when I got the spare change. It will go around the world if I ask it to. And I can get parts almost anywhere on the journey too. It has a simple carb but is water cooled for the stop and go traffic I find myself in occasionally. I've field stripped the carb on the side of a trail, because of bad gas, and got it going again. Try that with a Fuel Injected KTM or BMW. I'm a big Honda fan too, but this time for a dual sport I thought the Air Cooled Honda was not quite what I needed. Turns out the KLR fill the wish list best. BTY, this is my first Kawasaki.

The nice thing about a KLR 650 is you can still find them cheap with low miles on them. A friend just sold one last week with 15K on it for $1500. He just couldn't justify owning it and not riding it enough. He had other bikes that got more attention. (Street Tourers and a new wife who wanted to go too)
I know of a 98 in Austin for $2650, 24 K miles IIRC.

I wouldn't rule out a KLR 650 because of it's size. It is a very forgiving machine and you can improve your riding skills without having to upgrade machines. I hear good thing about the 300’s and the KDX's too. Good reliable upgradeable machines. But, oddly enough, I don't care that much for the others in the Kawasaki lineup. Go Figure!

I have mine pretty well farkeled out now and am the happiest I've been with a bike since my old XL 175. Since I now weigh in at 240 now. It just fits me like an comfortable pair of boots.
There is a good WEB site for the KLR's go to www.KLR650.net
I hang out there a lot.

I wouldn't go for anything less than 250cc given where you live. Ya'll have some long stretches of roads between towns.

Just think of a 650 as the biggest you'll need in a dirt bike and the smallest you'll need for a street bike. Dual Sport remember?

Best of luck, there are a lot of guys like you looking to get back into motorcycling because of the fuel prices. So you are not alone.
And I concur with the MSF course advice. It may save your life by giving you the survival skills you'll find you need from the first mile on.

Sorry, I get a little wordy on the weekends.:jumping:
Curtis in Texas

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke