The CUCV Build-1986 M1031 Mobile Field Maintenance Assault Vehicle

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Thanks guys! Sorry for away for so long...
image.jpgimage.jpg
Have been climbing mountains and such. Plus my travel partner quit on me, so now I gotta find a new one. Anyone want his spot? Haha, **** happens. I guess I'll just have to find more stuff to mod...
image.jpg
Now those body mounts for the contact body are just cab bushings that have been retrofitted to work on the back, as I couldn't find the original type. Had to weld a washer to the inside of a pipe to help keep bushing centered around mounting bolt. Not too bad and hey, it's been working so far.

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Well the battery tray thingy is about done. Need to fill it with more batteries though, not that the truck can hold five Group 31's.

63.jpg
This works great! Batteries slide in and out. There is enough clearance over the top of the battery for terminal connections and such.
67.jpg
Even got some nice strong battery hold-down clamps I had to fab up.
68.jpg
The hold down bar goes over the top of the battery and sits in this stud that is welded to frame.
69.jpg
To hold the front down, I bent and welded this rod. Together, these pieces hold the batteries very tight. Still not sure if I'm gonna build a front door for the whole thing or not.

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
I like the look of it Mr Plethora. Good and sturdy!:wings:
I'm afraid I didn't make it sturdy enough. Those batteries are heavy!

What's the mileage and power with the new engine?
Power is much better. On steep hills that used to slow me down, the truck can now stay a steady speed! Can't accelerate on those hills, but I'd say not slowing down is an improvement! The best mileage I've gotten so far is 18.9mpg. But recently what I thought was an oil leak from the rear main seal was actually a very bad fuel leak! Stay tuned for that post and a conclusion to my head scratching search for this stupid leak...

technoweenie

I'm afraid I didn't make it sturdy enough. Those batteries are heavy!

Power is much better. On steep hills that used to slow me down, the truck can now stay a steady speed! Can't accelerate on those hills, but I'd say not slowing down is an improvement! The best mileage I've gotten so far is 18.9mpg. But recently what I thought was an oil leak from the rear main seal was actually a very bad fuel leak! Stay tuned for that post and a conclusion to my head scratching search for this stupid leak...

From a fellow M1031 owner, I applaud your efforts. Rock on!

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Any updates Mr Plethora? Did you fix your battery rack? Lets see some pics of your improvements. Cheers, Chilli..:)

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Oh geewilly. Been so busy and getting all kinds of stuff done.

70.jpg
There have been silly blowouts...

71.jpg
Good thing for good help though! Storing the spare tire on the roof can be a real pain sometime...

There was also that stupid fuel leak. It really turned out to be a bad o-ring under the discharge rotary locking block thingamabob on the injection pump. Fuel was drip/pouring down into the engine valley and then down the back of the engine block. That wasn't fun to find. Involved laying on top of the running engine looking down under the intake manifold with a combination of flashlights, mirrors, and fiber-optic cameras to trace the stupid thing out. But it's definitely time for at least an update. I guess first I'll start with the finish to the batteries.

72.jpg
Finally got all the batteries I need. In addition to the two starter batteries, these three deep cycles will run any and all auxiliary stuff the truck will ever need.

73.jpg
There is just enough room above the batteries for all the wiring.

74.jpg
Perfect fit!

75.jpg
And the third battery gets to sit up in the battery tray up under the hood.

Now we can run the fridge, tv, and even electric heat with no issues. And because the auxiliary batteries and starting batteries are completely separate systems, there is no danger of the truck not starting from dead batteries!

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Good looking set-up there Mr Plethora. Glad to see you got the battery system sorted out. How is the new motor holding up? Cheers, Chilli..:)

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Yes, it's nice to have 5 batteries on-board at your disposal.
76.jpg
It makes base camp a breeze, especially with the solar panels! During these cold months, it be nice to have some heat. Maybe I can run it off all these batteries?

And the new engine is doing great! On those long hills, I do wish I had the turbo, but at least now I can actually can get up the hill!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier