07BlackSpecV's Junior Overland 2008 Nissan Xterra

drew7997

Nice build. If you ever hit SOR- check out a great group of guys on Facebook- Rock Ready Offroad.
Any thought about on board water?

07BlackSpecV

Adventurer
Awesome trip report! Glad you like this state as much as I do :D

Thanks man, I absolutely love Northern Michigan. We are looking to make the big move up to the Petoskey area sooner than we thought.

Nice build. If you ever hit SOR- check out a great group of guys on Facebook- Rock Ready Offroad.
Any thought about on board water?

Been to SOR twice so far and really enjoy it. It's still a somewhat long drive but oh well. I would like to do on board water some day but would like to do OBA and an inverter before that.

07BlackSpecV

Adventurer
Well I've been having so much fun with the Xterra my wife wanted to get in on the offroad action too. So we went out last weekend and traded her BRZ in for a JKU Rubicon Hard Rock. We managed to find 1 with a 6 speed so that's fun too. Meanwhile I'm trying to save up for some White Knuckle Sliders and a rear bumper. Ever since Dave told me about the Hefty dual arm and I saw a couple on members Xterras I've really wanted that one. I guess we will see.

Can't wait to get some AEV goodies on the JKU. Part of the reason of getting the Hard Rock was that it already had bumpers, sliders, and a vented hood. I'm thinking a swing arm, snorkel, and corner guards will be the big hitters from AEV. Excited to have two vehicles to take on the trail, need to figure out the best way to utilize the Rubi so we don't double pay on features.

07BlackSpecV

Adventurer
Well our 2015 Race Spectating Season was short this year but it has already come and gone. This past weekend was once again the Lake Superior Performance Rally. It takes place in my favorite place in the world, the UP of Michigan, and man is it way up there. The race takes place around Houghton and L'anse, Michigan. That is roughly a 12 hour drive from my home base in North Western, Ohio but it is always worth it for the amazing experience and the views.

After stopping for a long lunch in Mackinaw City we made another quick stop to take in the sights of the Cut River Bridge. Pilot and Co-pilot pictured.

It's always nice to get out and stretch our legs.

After a couple more hours we were in Munising, a beautiful town, and heading west along Lake Superior. That's when we saw something strange in the sky. It looked like a string of thread coming down and once we got out of the trees we could see a water spout on the Lake. We stopped and watched that for the final few minutes of it on the lake.

At 5:00pm we finally at it to our camp site at Baraga State Park. After a quick setup of our tent we ran into town for a good Mom and Pop Diner.

We had made the decision that in the interest of time we would sample local cuisine all weekend instead of cooking at the campsite. That being said I knew it would be cool, I wasn't expecting the constant 30* temperatures we saw day and night, so I had invested in a Snow Peak Giga Power Stove so I could have my morning coffee. It was a great decision as I was normally the first one up and ready for the day.

View from the camp site in the morning. Right on Keweenaw Bay.

2 Days of Rally Stages came and went with fantastic viewing. So many pictures and GoPro videos that I am still sorting through them. The Xterra got a lot of compliments but also got to enjoy a lot of time rushing down fire roads. Shook a few more heat shields loose and I still have to get those off.

At the end of the rally we had a couple of large pizza's between the three of us at The Ambassador in downtown Houghton.

It was another brisk and beautiful weekend full of new experiences and adventures. This is why I love going to rally races and why we are starting to plan our first true overland trip through the UP of Michigan for next fall.

RockyZuk

Observer
How do you like the Falkens? I just grabbed the same set for my X that should be shipping today. Also I am leaning towards the TJM extended travel like you. It appears I am copying your build...

07BlackSpecV

Adventurer
How do you like the Falkens? I just grabbed the same set for my X that should be shipping today. Also I am leaning towards the TJM extended travel like you. It appears I am copying your build...

Sounds good to me man. I got the Falkens because that's what I've always had on my other cars, Azenis and Eurowinters on my Spec V, I have really enjoyed them on the Xterra but I will say at first they didn't seem to clean out super well in the snow. They were BRAND new when I went to the Sno*Drift Rally and that's the only time I had problems with them in the snow so maybe them being within 500 miles is why they seemed slick. Offroad they have been great and on road they have been really quiet and easy to live with.

07BlackSpecV

Adventurer
Thank you, I managed to jump in on the Airflow Snorkel group buy on the New X. So the build continues! Next I need to save up for some sliders and bumpers. I have to get my full sized spare on and with me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles