07BlackSpecV's Junior Overland 2008 Nissan Xterra

RockyZuk

Observer
Turns out that Falken has discontinued the Wild Peaks. I contacted three different retailers and no one had any in stock. hmmmp. And nice snag on the group buy!

07BlackSpecV

Adventurer
Turns out that Falken has discontinued the Wild Peaks. I contacted three different retailers and no one had any in stock. hmmmp. And nice snag on the group buy!

What?! They still have them on their website. Hope they come out with another variation because I think they are pretty nice.

Just looked into it. Apparently the AT2 is discontinued and they are launching an AT3W early next year. If you really want Falkens it might be worth holding off for those. Unless you can happen across a set of AT2's for a little bit of nothing.

Last edited:

07BlackSpecV

Adventurer
Well I recently got back on the saddle and started mountain biking again. I forgot how much fun it was and also how difficult it was to pedal my fat *** around a trail. Either way it knocks the dust off my trusty Specialized Hard Rock and prompted me to get a Gravity fat tire back. On top of that I grabbed a Yakima 2 Timer to haul the bikes around with on the back of the Xterra.

It's been an odd December with snow flurries and fog.

With the lack of winter things have remained more comfortable in the garage which was needed for yesterday when I finally got to install my Airflow Snorkel I bought in the group buy.

Now I need to put some more money toward bumpers and armor.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Snorkel looks good!
Winter has been weird here, too. It's 60 degrees out...we came real close to going camping this weekend.

How has that bike rack been for you? We have the Thule one that suspends the bike from the crossbar, but those platform types look real easy to use.

07BlackSpecV

Adventurer
Snorkel looks great! What armor are you looking at getting?

I'm wanting an ARB front bumper for sure and White Knuckle Sliders. The rear bumper I'm a little less sure about. My dream would be the Hefty dual swing arm but I'm not sure of its clearance with the Gobi ladder. So if that doesn't work out I'd go after Maxterra's bumper. For skids I want the Hefy aluminum skids to keep weight down.

I build really slowly so I'm not sure when I can really get around to 100% of this list but I'd like to hit sliders followed by rear bumper.

RockyZuk

Observer
very nice! I got a set of Hefty sliders second hand (although the guy never used them and they were in pristine condition). eventually I want to get a Maxterra bumper for the rear, I cant stand how much the trailer hitch hangs down.

07BlackSpecV

Adventurer
I have had the rack on my Xterra since the middle of July, in the short time I've had it I have already proved to myself it was a worthwhile upgrade.

The wheels were a dream item. I really wanted to make them work because I have a matching set of Nismos on my Sentra. I wish Nismo still bought these high quality forged wheels from Ray's Engineering and rebranded them.

07BlackSpecV

Adventurer
I never noticed those wheels before, but those are slick!

Thanks bud, to answer your question from earlier I love the bike rack however, I need to buy some accessory wheel straps for my Fat Bike as the ones that came with the rack aren't long enough, at least they offer longer ones for a cheap price. Also the top tube clamp isn't lockable and I'm not sure if there is a add on kit for that or not. Otherwise I'll have to get a bike chain to lock them down during longer trips. I'm more of a Thule fan myself but the Yakima came up on a really good deal that I couldn't turn down.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Thanks bud, to answer your question from earlier I love the bike rack however, I need to buy some accessory wheel straps for my Fat Bike as the ones that came with the rack aren't long enough, at least they offer longer ones for a cheap price. Also the top tube clamp isn't lockable and I'm not sure if there is a add on kit for that or not. Otherwise I'll have to get a bike chain to lock them down during longer trips. I'm more of a Thule fan myself but the Yakima came up on a really good deal that I couldn't turn down.

I'm a Thule loyalist, but I'd be right there with ya on a Yakima deal.

07BlackSpecV

Adventurer
Well small update. I totally copied Wreckdiver and did his Ram Mount X Grip phone mount. I haven't driven with it yet but I think I'm going to like it a lot.

With an Iphone6 it is a little tight along the top by the handle. Another phone user may need a longer 2 socket arm. Also, I think I'm going to do something similar with more linkage for the passenger and use it as an Ipad mounts. I'm wanting to put an offroad atlas on the Ipad we no longer use and that could work out nicely.

Also, I'm hoping at the end of next week to get on the list for the Maxterra rear bumper with all options. I decided to go Maxterra over Hefty and I am excited to get in the build que for that.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles