07BlackSpecV's Junior Overland 2008 Nissan Xterra

07BlackSpecV

Adventurer
The year in review. It was a busy one for the Xterra; it covered the usual trips but received a lot of upgrades along the way. The year started off with the Airflow Group Buy and moved onto the Maxterra rear bumper and ARB front bumper. This year has really transformed the truck. Also, it was a successful year for the patch collection.

Hoping to add a lot more next year. We are taking a trip out to Colorado for a friend's wedding in Telluride next June. Any suggestions? I need to have sliders done and new tires (Falken Wildpeak AT3's are larger than AT'2 in the same 'size') and suspension by then at a minimum plus some good and proven recovery gear.

07BlackSpecV

Adventurer
Got a great start on recovery gear for the Xterra. Decided to just go a head and jump on in.

Started off with getting the winch on order. Went with the Gen II Warn VR10s.

Decided to go ahead and get a Factor 55 Prolink to finish off the winch as well as an ARB Essentials recovery kit.

The Essential Kit seemed like a good collection with a snatch strap, tree saver, snatch block, and a couple of shackles.

Decided to pick up a second snatch strap for good measure and a Blue Ridge Overland Gear strap bag to hold it.

Would still like a set of Maxtrax and that should pretty much finish things off.

Might try and install the winch this weekend if it isn't too cold out.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Awesome! Lots of great purchases. That new Warn VR series looks great, and you can't go wrong with ARB recovery gear. I think it's some of the best in the business.

I have some Blue Ridge gear. That stuff is bombproof.

07BlackSpecV

Adventurer
Finally got the winch installed. I didn't do enough research to realize the originally equipped Warn Hawse Failrlead wouldn't work with the ARB bumper so I had to source an offset fairlead. Luckily Factor 55 also had one of those available.

The install went pretty easily but messing around with cables and mounting while the bumper was already installed made for some interesting moments.

I think it turned out great.

Of course a test was in order so I did a little yard work to make sure it worked alright and get any kind of feel for running a winch.
https://youtu.be/V2i8AR7XpEM

Finally got a set of White Knuckle Sliders on order so now I'm just waiting for those to arrive.

kootenay

Intergalacticsuperintendent
Looks good. I am thinking of the Factory 55 to go with my new winch as well. I was thinking of the Splicer version.

TFin04

Adventurer
Can't believe I just found this thread. I am fairly local (Michigan) and plan to travel some of the same routes you have. Your X is built up nearly exactly to how I want mine. Hoping to have an OME kit and ARB front bar on in the next month or two. Will definitely be referencing this thread for ideas. Nice ride!

07BlackSpecV

Adventurer
Mmm, synthetic lines. Your truck looks like a beast.

Thank you man, read you just sent yours out to pasture. I figure I've got a good number of years with my Xterra yet, got to get the Rubicon paid off and am hoping to buy a sport car this year (early mid life crisis), once all that is paid off I'll probably be ready for a Raptor.

Can't believe I just found this thread. I am fairly local (Michigan) and plan to travel some of the same routes you have. Your X is built up nearly exactly to how I want mine. Hoping to have an OME kit and ARB front bar on in the next month or two. Will definitely be referencing this thread for ideas. Nice ride!

OME kit is a great kit from what I've read. I was on a very tight budget when I lifted so I pieced most of my kit together used, wanting to upgrade everything again this year yet. Thanks for checking it out man, really ready to put some miles under it this year with not just my wife and I's Colorado trip but my usually rally weekend copilot suggested we turn our October UP trip into a week long event...I'm already very excited for the possibilities.

Much more to come, the build is long from over.

When you go out to Colorado, make sure the do Black Bear Pass. It is fun!

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to look into it.

07BlackSpecV

Adventurer
My sliders came in today. Really excited to have these and more so to get them on. I thought sliders were going to be one of the first changes I made to the truck and they unwisely kept taking a back seat to everything else. When ahead and jumped for the DOM option while I was at it, probably not necessary but figured why not?

jhberria

Adventurer
You know, they work better when they're mounted on your vehicle. Just a friendly FYI.

Those look awesome! I sometimes kick myself for not getting the white knuckles with the kick out.

07BlackSpecV

Adventurer
Well that seemed like a lot of work for one guy but on the plus side I haven't gotten to play with my air tools for awhile. Tedious install but I got it handled in 3.5 hrs which I didn't think was too bad.

Really the things left on the list for this year are an ARB air compressor, Maxtrax with BROG Bag, New Suspension, and New tires. If I can fit it in a National Luna dual battery setup would be good too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles