07BlackSpecV's Junior Overland 2008 Nissan Xterra

Dmski

Adventurer
If you can test ride a Fatboy I recommend it. It doesn't even really feel like riding a fatbike. I have a old 26er Specialized Hardrock that I have overly upgraded which is still serving duty as my mountain bike. Really gunning to upgrade to a 2018 Stumpjumper Carbon Comp at the end of the year but we will see.

Rode one of those stumpjumper carbons and they are rad! So light and really good pedal efficiency, although coming from a downhill bike I guess anything has "good" pedal efficiency lol! I'll have to give one of those fat tires a go though.

07BlackSpecV

Adventurer
Alright, got my OME HD suspension from the great folks down at OK4WD. They even assembled for a minimal cost and shipped everything for free.

IMG_3256 by Jordan Schutt, on Flickr

IMG_3335 by Jordan Schutt, on Flickr

Also, modded my snorkel a bit...
IMG_3339 by Jordan Schutt, on Flickr

Just kidding, that was me shamelessly post whoring my wife and I's most recent value proposition. I have wanted an Aston Martin since I was 9 years old and told myself for the last 20 years that by the time I was 30 I'd like to at least be in the market for one. Well...we went on vacation in Florida for a week of hanging out on the beach and driving around in our Rubicon with the doors and top off and one followed us home. Pretty crazy.

Dmski

Adventurer
Dude that is awesome! Great looking car. And you will like the OME suspension. I just pulled off my OME gear but it has served me well.

07BlackSpecV

Adventurer
Finally just took the time to put the OME HD suspension on the Xterra tonight. I forgot how much of a pain that can be. On a quick test drive around the block the ride isn't nearly as rough as I thought it would be based on other reviews. Look forward to the added performance and my reclaimed height.

07BlackSpecV

Adventurer
Really enjoying the OME HD kit. Like I said it isn't too rough of a ride like I thought it would be. The rear leaf pack is noisy like reported by everyone else but it is so much better than the noises my old setup was starting to make it really doesn't bug me. I did take the time to spray down the suspension with some BoSheild I have around for my bikes in hopes to stave off corrosion and maybe other dirt/squeaks. Looks like I won't get out there until this fall. Funny how time has flown by this summer. Hopefully going to invest in an ARB Simpson tent by mid August for those trips, been spending too much on the gun hobby and my wife's rig lately.

IMG_3539 by Jordan Schutt, on Flickr

IMG_3540 by Jordan Schutt, on Flickr

IMG_3541 by Jordan Schutt, on Flickr

Last edited:

Dmski

Adventurer
Still pleased with your AT3W? I'm pulling the trigger on them I think in the same size as you. Like the snow performance and they sound decent offroad from what I've learned.

Dmski

Adventurer
So far I am loving these falkens! I was curious what pressure you ran yours at? I’m currently around 36psi.

07BlackSpecV

Adventurer
I'm running at about 34 or 36 psi. That's what i ran my other wild peaks at and they still had half their tread left after ~40,000 miles with no weird wearing. They are an absolute tank in the snow though, much much improved over the AT2. Will be getting them on some loose stuff in September up in the UP but I expect them to perform to my expectation.

Dmski

Adventurer
I'm running at about 34 or 36 psi. That's what i ran my other wild peaks at and they still had half their tread left after ~40,000 miles with no weird wearing. They are an absolute tank in the snow though, much much improved over the AT2. Will be getting them on some loose stuff in September up in the UP but I expect them to perform to my expectation.
Awesome to hear! So far I'm loving them! I do need to trim a little more fender though due to the offset and titan swap... But otherwise I'm very happy with this purchase. Thanks for the feedback!

(none)

Adventurer

I see when you received your rear leaf kit they had the springs to make it an "HD" kit separate and you installed them. I kinda did the same on my frontier, I ran the medium setup for a while and just added the other leaf to help with the sag. That being said, the yellow silencer pads weren't included with the extra springs. Looks like yours didn't come with them either? Did you not have a hole on each of the spring for them? You mention the noise from the pack, and that would help. I just used generic GM pieces I picked up from advance autoparts. they help eliminate that metal to metal spring noise.

Gohere

Really like your Xterra! I just bought an '08 Off-Road and it came with the OME 2.5" lift on it. It seems like I'm having an issue with the coil bucket hitting the UCA, when the front tire droops. I noticed you have the same lift, are you noticing the issue?

07BlackSpecV

Adventurer
Really like your Xterra! I just bought an '08 Off-Road and it came with the OME 2.5" lift on it. It seems like I'm having an issue with the coil bucket hitting the UCA, when the front tire droops. I noticed you have the same lift, are you noticing the issue?
I just got back from a trip to the UP of Michigan and think I experienced it a coupe of times on trail. Am planning on adding UCA's, 1" spacers, and shackles next year to go 3" so will probably have to clearance the coil buckets anyway. That being said, my current review of the OME HD kit with a fully loaded rig is excellent. It was night and day between my Colorado Trip suspension setup and this trip to the Keweenaw Peninsula with probably even more weigh or equal loadout. If you want a suspension that will perform and are somewhat tight on budget, the OME HD kit just works, it's not fancy but it works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles