Tires for expedition vehicle

Thank you for the reply.
Indeed, on the mentioned website a 255/100R16 Michelin tire seems to be available.
However, Michelin Canada lets me know:

"We apologize the 255/100R16 tires have been discontinued and stock is not available for retailers to order.
We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Michelin.
It is our goal to ensure that your issue has been resolved or your question answered to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond to this email or call us at 1-888-871-4444 (toll free) between 8:00AM and 8:00PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday or between 8:30AM and 4:30PM Eastern Time on Saturday.

Sincerely,

Daniel
Consumer Care Department
Certified Michelin Product Expert"
++++++++++

This is a puzzling situation....

More time doing research resulted in finding out that Michelin XZL 255/100R16 tires contrary to what Michelin Canada reports are still being manufactured and sold in Europe for € 538,80... See http://www.allopneus.com/MICHELIN-X...urd&utm_medium=cpc_shopbot&utm_campaign=66583
The company in Austria that sells Bremach trucks even has these tires in stock... http://www.allrad-christ.com/ac_start.htm
The question now is to have two Michelin tires come from Europe as I need only two, or to change all 4 to a more common size...

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
More time doing research resulted in finding out that Michelin XZL 255/100R16 tires contrary to what Michelin Canada reports are still being manufactured and sold in Europe for € 538,80... See http://www.allopneus.com/MICHELIN-X...urd&utm_medium=cpc_shopbot&utm_campaign=66583
The company in Austria that sells Bremach trucks even has these tires in stock... http://www.allrad-christ.com/ac_start.htm
The question now is to have two Michelin tires come from Europe as I need only two, or to change all 4 to a more common size...

Seems like you would need 5 new tires as you must have a spare tire as well? I don't imagine the Bremach would like to operate with one odd sized tire for very long - I think its an AWD setup?

Going with a more available size makes sense but usually the XZL are considered pretty robust - what happened to yours? Would be interested in knowing...

summerprophet

Adventurer
Check Ebay, they have some Chinese copies of Michelins called Yellowsea. Not a long term solution, but if you just need 2, it would likely work until your remaining tires are done. (they ship out of Washington, so you should be able to get them reasonably fast)

Hopefully by that time there are other tire options for you.

Check Ebay, they have some Chinese copies of Michelins called Yellowsea. Not a long term solution, but if you just need 2, it would likely work until your remaining tires are done. (they ship out of Washington, so you should be able to get them reasonably fast)

Hopefully by that time there are other tire options for you.

Thanks for the responses....

Current status:

Michelin Canada has now admitted that their statement that Michelin XZL 255/100R16 were discontinued is not true. They confirm they still are being produced and for sale in France for 538,80 each ( =588 US$ ) Before Michelin Canada wants to make further steps they now want to know if the tires are for a military vehicle. Weird question... I have asked them why they cannot get these tires to Canada... No new answer yet.

This website sells the Michelin XZL tires: http://www.allopneus.com/MICHELIN-X...urd&utm_medium=cpc_shopbot&utm_campaign=66583
I have asked them in my best French if they ship to the USA... They do in France and they charge per tire 6 Euros... ( = 6,50 US$ ) To the US, if they do, will be a more substantial amount.

The dealer where my Bremach has been bought is in Austria. I called him up and he has the Michelin XZL tires in stock. Tomorrow he will inform how much it all will cost.

It is true that Chinese 255/100r16 tires are for sale in the Americas: actually right here where I am now in Vancouver, Canada. They cost Canadian Dollars 300 each. ( = 230 US$ ). Putting them on the rims and balancing them by KalTire costs about Canadian Dollars 34 ( = 26 US$ ). Company selling is called Disco-Tech Industries Inc.

Not clear yet how this story will end...

fietsryer

Before Michelin Canada wants to make further steps they now want to know if the tires are for a military vehicle...

I had the same when i ordered XZL's for my mog. I had to write a letter to Michelin confirming that the tires will not be used for military purposes or in a war zone. They explained to me that the XZL is classified as a military spec tire and therefore falls under some kind of UN restriction related to the sale of military equipment.

I'm on the opposite side of the world from Canada (in South Africa), but would bet its probably the same reason they've asked you the question.

I had the same when i ordered XZL's for my mog. I had to write a letter to Michelin confirming that the tires will not be used for military purposes or in a war zone. They explained to me that the XZL is classified as a military spec tire and therefore falls under some kind of UN restriction related to the sale of military equipment.

I'm on the opposite side of the world from Canada (in South Africa), but would bet its probably the same reason they've asked you the question.

Meanwhile I have received from Michelin Canada a message that I have to contact their Military department and probably will get the same request to confirm use is not for military purposes. Rather strange because any person can order these tires from a website in France and have them send anywhere in the world through a company like Colisexpat.

The search for tires has been successful !
For us who need these tires to know:

1/
Vrakking in the Netherlands sells Michelin 255/100R16 but only retreats. The other thing is they do not ship a small amount of these tires to the USA. Only an amount filling a sea container. They say that to ship 2 or even 5 tires is simply too expensive.

2/
There is a company in North Carolina that sells Michelin 255/100R16's but again only retreats... They get them from Vrakking...
Jonathan Eason
Faith Tire Supply & Surplus
234 US HWY 264A/121
Walstonburg NC 27888
Cell 252-341-1097
Email faithtiresupply@gmail.com

3/
Faith Tire Supply also sells the Michelin 9.00R16 which is similar to the 255/100R16 in size but has a slightly different profile. These 9.00R16 are new and also coming from Vrakking.
The 9.00R16 costs about $ 390 including shipping and the retreat 255/100R16 $ 300 including shipping.

The search for tires has been successful !
For us who need these tires to know:

1/
Vrakking in the Netherlands sells Michelin 255/100R16 but only retreats. The other thing is they do not ship a small amount of these tires to the USA. Only an amount filling a sea container. They say that to ship 2 or even 5 tires is simply too expensive.

2/
There is a company in North Carolina that sells Michelin 255/100R16's but again only retreats... They get them from Vrakking...
Jonathan Eason
Faith Tire Supply & Surplus
234 US HWY 264A/121
Walstonburg NC 27888
Cell 252-341-1097
Email faithtiresupply@gmail.com

3/
Faith Tire Supply also sells the Michelin 9.00R16 which is similar to the 255/100R16 in size but has a slightly different profile. These 9.00R16 are new and also coming from Vrakking.
The 9.00R16 costs about $ 390 including shipping and the retreat 255/100R16 $ 300 including shipping.

Michelin sends now an e-mail saying:

Bonjour Monsieur,

Le pneumatique en 255/100 R16 XZL est disponible en Europe uniquement. Il n'est pas vendu au Canada.
Pour pouvoir obtenir ces produits pour votre véhicule, vous ne pourrez vous les procurer qu'en Europe via le revendeur de votre choix : internet ou réseau de distribution local et organiser l'expédition par vous même.

J'espère avoir répondu à votre demande.

Vous remerciant pour l'intérêt que vous portez à nos produits.

Sincères salutations.

MICHELIN
Marketing Produit Poids Lourd France
Bureau Technique Produits Industriels

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz