Myths of Motorcycling...

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I noticed that Motorcycle Cruiser has put together an excellent article on the 12 Deadly Myths of Motorcycling. As more of this forum's members have expressed an interest in riding and expeditions on motorbikes, the article is worth a read.

And my two cents:

1. Take an approved Motorcycle Safety Foundation basic rider course or experienced rider course.

2. ATGATT.....All the gear, all the time. Dress only in what you're willing to slide down the pavement at 40mph in....jeans will be gone, and you'll be sliding on skin in 3-5 feet, BTW.

http://motorcyclecruiser.com/streetsurvival/dangerous_motorcycle_safety_myths/

Ride Safe!
-H-

Lok47

Observer
I agree, dress for the crash, not for the ride (wear gear).

Most new street riders will brake hard when someone pulls out if front of them. I think swerving is the best way to avoid obstacles. It takes longer to brake then to maneouver out of the way.

Scott Brady

Founder
Good stuff. I need to beef up my gear, as I only have a helmet and gloves. I am going a lot more moto riding now in the forest. I am just waiting for a tree to take my arm off.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
I'm reading lots of motorcycling books lately in preperation for a possible mult-week ride late this summer (can't discuss details just yet). I've been through the absolutely great Adventure Motorcycling Handbook, various repair and touring books and advanced riding skills books just sucking in as much info as I can get.

One of the best books on riding skills that I have been through is the one I am working on right now called More Profficient Motorcycling by David Hough. This is an absolutely superb book for everyone who rides a motorcycle as it really gets people to think like a rider should. I would consider it the next level beyond MSF course - ideally this book should be given to everyone their second year of riding. At the same time, I can't think of any non-professional rider who couldn't benefit from this book.

It deals with varous situations riders encounter and the different possible reactions. It also deals with countersteering and leaning techniques, delayed apex turning and collision avoidance. The author repeats for emphasis quite a bit on subjects like countersteering, but it's with good reason.

If you ever ride on the street, I would consider the book a must read. For myself, I would say that no one book has influenced my riding more.

1931993033.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

VikingVince

Explorer
Hltoppr said:
2. ATGATT.....All the gear, all the time. Dress only in what you're willing to slide down the pavement at 40mph in....jeans will be gone, and you'll be sliding on skin in 3-5 feet, BTW.

http://motorcyclecruiser.com/streetsurvival/dangerous_motorcycle_safety_myths/

Ride Safe!
-H-

That certainly makes sense...but I guess that means you have to wear full leathers in 90 degree heat? Bummer...that would be unpleasant, hot and sweaty, no?...especially if you stopped in a town and walked around for a while. Of course, compared with peeling my skin down to the bone I'd take the hot leathers. I had a Honda 550 years ago and I'm back in the market for a small dual sport (250cc) that I can carry behind my truck.

Enjoyed the "myths" link as well as the other posts from all you knowledgable bike folk...thanks

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Yeah, full gear gets hot if you're not moving, but there are many more options than full leather. Personally, I would look like one of the Village People in full leather....:(

I've used textile riding gear exclusively. While leather provides the best protection, some of the good quality cordura is exceptional for dual sport riding.

Currently, I'm using a BMW Savannah II Jacket and BMW Summer Pants. The jacket is 700 weight cordura, with armor in the back, elbows and shoulders. Full chest, back and arm vents keep it cool, even on the beach in Mexico. A Gore-Tex liner gives you some waterproof protection.

The Summer Pant is 500 weight cordura, with knee armor, and they zip off into shorts!

My winter/foul weather outfit consists of Aerostitch Darien pants and jacket. 500 weight cordura with full armor at all the points you'd need it, and gore-tex too....yup....this is hot in Mexico in June....

You don't have to go full leather to be safe, and gear is definitely a personal choice, but if you're gonna be in the middle of nowhere with the possibility of a crash...on or off road...you might as well stack the odds of preventing an injury in your favor....heck...I'll stack those odds in my favor on my everyday morning commute!

Cheers,

-H-

BTW...Mexico....100 degrees....June....Full Gear! Call it the Baja Weight Loss Plan.... :ylsmoke:

65419615-M.jpg

VikingVince

Explorer
thanks again, H, for the useful info...I shoulda realized that clothes "technology" has evolved since I last rode a bike! One more question if you would: What do you wear to protect you ankles?, i.e. what type of boot/shoe do you recommend? thanks again

PS...I like the Baja Weight Loss Plan idea...nothing else has worked so far!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Lok47

Observer
To protect your ankles get some good riding boots. I personally wear Sidi race boots, but they also have touring boots that should protect just as well. Other companies such as AXO, Alpinestars, Joe Rocket, Teknic, etc, etc should make boots for any application that are capable of protecting your feet, lower ankle and lower shin area.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
For dual sport use, I wear Sidi Discovery boots. They're well armored, but not as stiff as some motocross boots, as well as waterproof...They've worked great for the last 10K miles I've put on them!

-H-

Attachments

• Sidi Discovery.jpg
    Sidi Discovery.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 46

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
And here is my wife and I in the gear we wear for round town....

-H-

Attachments

• andy_amanda_bikes1.jpg
    andy_amanda_bikes1.jpg
    415.7 KB · Views: 77

robert

Expedition Leader
Myth 2: Loud Pipes Save Lives

Yeah, there are a few situations—like where you are right next to a driver with his window down who is about the to change lanes—where full-time noise-makers might help a driver notice you, but all that noise directed rearward doesn't do much in the most common and much more dangerous conflict where a car turns in front of you. Maybe it's the fatigue caused by the noise, maybe it's the attitudes of riders who insist on making annoying noise, or perhaps loud bikes annoy enough drivers to make them aggressive. Whatever the reason, the research shows that bikes with modified exhaust systems crash more frequently than those with stock pipes. If you really want to save lives, turn to a loud jacket or a bright helmet color, which have been proven to do the job. Or install a louder horn. Otherwise, just shut up

I actually thought about copying that, along with the link, and printing it on cardstock to put on the bikes around here- Jeeezzuss I hate open pipes (I also hate thumping car stereos and coffe can mufflers; I must be getting old). I've said something along those lines for a long time but you can't tell the idiots that have them that it doesn't make sense.

VikingVince

Explorer
Hltoppr said:
And here is my wife and I in the gear we wear for round town....

-H-

You mean when you go out on Saturday night? Cool:exclaim: you must turn some heads :hehe:

thanks to both of you for the shoe info...hmmmm, I wonder if Sidi makes size 14!!!!!

Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
robert said:
I also hate thumping car stereos and coffe can mufflers; I must be getting old.

I dont think ANYONE likes those! (save for the idiots who feel it is their moral obligation to put them in their $800 honda civic's).

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
goodtimes said:
I dont think ANYONE likes those! (save for the idiots who feel it is their moral obligation to put them in their $800 honda civic's).

1/2 of the price of the car is the muffler....:ar15:

-H-

underdog

robert said:
Myth 2: Loud Pipes Save Lives

Yeah, there are a few situations—like where you are right next to a driver with his window down who is about the to change lanes—where full-time noise-makers might help a driver notice you, but all that noise directed rearward doesn't do much in the most common and much more dangerous conflict where a car turns in front of you. Maybe it's the fatigue caused by the noise, maybe it's the attitudes of riders who insist on making annoying noise, or perhaps loud bikes annoy enough drivers to make them aggressive. Whatever the reason, the research shows that bikes with modified exhaust systems crash more frequently than those with stock pipes. If you really want to save lives, turn to a loud jacket or a bright helmet color, which have been proven to do the job. Or install a louder horn. Otherwise, just shut up

I actually thought about copying that, along with the link, and printing it on cardstock to put on the bikes around here- Jeeezzuss I hate open pipes (I also hate thumping car stereos and coffe can mufflers; I must be getting old). I've said something along those lines for a long time but you can't tell the idiots that have them that it doesn't make sense.

Yeah, sound is directional. You can hear these guys AFTER they've passed you. But if someone with open pipes is approaching from a side street and about to pull in front of you, you're not going to hear them before you see 'em. Especially if you've got the windows up and the A/C on.

Ah, there's nothing better than enjoying the pristeen beauty of one of our national parks when a group of 30 of these guys goes rolling through. And trying to pass a group this big is like trying to get around 3 tractor/trailer rigs. Rolling Roadblocks is what me and my BMW buddies call 'em. (I know; **********, **********, **********).

Another one that always gets me are the loud pipe guys with the full leathers but no helmet. You ask 'em, "so, why do you wear all that leather?" They'll tell you, "for safety, man.:confused: "

As to some of the earlier discussion in this thread, there are plenty of synthetics out there that provide excellent abrasion protection in case of a slide down the road. And, some of them have a very open, screen-like mesh weave that REALLY lets the breeze through. Comfortable in the 100+ degree Arizona heat. I've got one, it's a Hein Gericke jacket, that is made like this AND it has a full, zip-out liner that is some kinda waterproof/breathable stuff. When it's hot, the liner's in the saddle bag. It gets zipped in for cold or wet weather. I took this jacket to Alaska last summer. It was blistering hot going up through Utah and Idaho and the mesh just shined. Once in Canada and Alaska we had freezing rain, snow, hail and wind chills in the teens and the liner kept me warm and dry. Really good stuff.:clapsmile

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz