10th Gen F150 Build

Wolvee

Adventurer
There will be less flex from the F250 leaf springs just because of how thick and stiff they are. That was what I needed because I want to help my towing stability and help increase my payload capacity. (Official numbers be darned.)

If you do ever decide that flex is more important in the F150 -Deavers are the only real option I know of. For around $500-600 Deaver will make a set of individually thinner, 8-10 leaf spring pack for the you. Having the thinner individual springs give the rear end a remarkable amount of travel for how basic the F150 setup is.

I have never used them but I have always heard good things about the company

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
Now I need to start working on the real Overlanding Gear.
*Steel Front & Rear Bumpers
*Bumper mounted Tire carrier & Jerry Cans
*30 gallon Fuel tank
*Winch
*Fridge
*Tent

Let me know if you ever need an extra pair of hands. I am not too far from Williamsburg.

Ivan

Lost in Space
Also,

These little guys showed up today! Brembo Rotors will be here Monday. MOAR Stopping POWA!

Larger, dual steel piston calipers. These are from the 7700/F250 as well. Expedition calipers are the same except the pistons are Plastic/Phenolic. The Rotors I ordered are from an 02 Expedition instead of the 7700 because they are 5 Lug like the regular F150's.

7346CF82-9D32-41E2-8838-1650E2F3D47C_zpsiwnqc7id.jpg

169E636D-8E26-45B8-9FE6-E99D7321918B_zpspl8qtozu.jpg

Are the rotors a direct swap/drop in?

Wolvee

Adventurer
7700 rotors are not because they are 7 lug. The 2002 Expedition rotors are a direct swap.

The 7700 Calipers housings themselves are the same as the Expedition calipers except 7700's used STEEL pistons and expeditions used varying sized Phenolic (Plastic) pistons with a steel cap glues to the pistons. They are weaker and are more prone to failure.

For Parts searching,

Caliper: You'd look for 03 F150 W/ 7700gvw & Steel pistons. (Some reman'd brands use Phenolic to save money.) I bought A1 Cardone from Rock Auto.
Rotors: 02 Expedition

Ivan

Lost in Space
The perils of replying in the middle of the night. I meant to type calipers. That's definitrly onmy parts list now. I had no idea there was such an easy upgrade for the trucks of this vintage.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Do you have information on what the failure mode of the plastic pistons would be? Situations where they fail and how?

Wolvee

Adventurer
Not directly but there is a lot of anecdotal evidence online as too why steel lasts longer. Heat and corrosion are the biggest factors I considered when choosing between the two. There are a lot of theories as to why the Phenolic pistons fail more, the reason that makes the most sense to me is, Plastic will dry and become brittle over time.

For stock & general owner needs, I'm sure they're just durable enough to get the vehicles out or warranty and probably a bit longer if well maintained and serviced regularly.

I also looked to what all the 8 lug half & one ton trucks use. Virtually every large truck I looked at within this generation/technology level of these brakes have steel pistons standard. Phenolic pistons only ever being available in the cost saving remanufactured market.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Damn, YOurs is so nice and shiny underneath. Mine....Not so much. Well, I lucked out and found a set of used 7700 springs. Just waiting to hear back from the owner.

Wolvee

Adventurer
I lucked out when I bought the truck. There's no rust on it at all. It's part of the reason I decided to keep and build this truck as my Overlanding vehicle.

CAVE

Did you have to get longer u bolts to handle the thicker rear leaf springs? If so, how did you source them?

CAVE

For future reference, I installed the same springs (2200 lb) on my extended cab 2002 f150 today and did have to get longer u bolts. I got them at oreilly's for $8 each. Dorman part# 35645. My rear springs were a little worn out, but I got a full 2.5" of lift out of them. I could remove my 2" factory blocks (no need for u bolts then) or raise my front to level it out. Haven't decided yet. Thanks for the info and nice looking truck.

Wolvee

Adventurer
I actually got my U-bolts at Oreilly's as well. Although I bought mine in one of their generic OTS block lift kits. I only used the bolts & hardware. After I bolted everything down it almost looks like I could have reused the stock U-bolts but it was much easier using the longer ones to draw everything into place.

I was told the springs were going to settle down about .5-1" but they have yet to do that. I'm going to wait until next spring and if they haven't settled any more, I'll think about shortening the blocks to level it out. I'd also like to tow a bit more as well, so I can see exactly where she sits while towing.

Thanks for bringing up the U-bolts, I had forgot all about them. Also, thank you for the complement.

W.

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I lucked out when I bought the truck. There's no rust on it at all. It's part of the reason I decided to keep and build this truck as my Overlanding vehicle.

Yes You did. Mine is pretty cancerous underneath. body has none however. I got mine to haul some stuff for work. I will see what undercoating does to it. Hopfully make it look a little better. Its solid just eyesore'ish. Truck works great and we love the size of it tho.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke