06 fuso fe over heating

boostin

Adventurer
Recently had to go pick up a car about five hours away . Just the unloaded Fuso pulling a empty car trailer seem to be overheating on long gradual declin climbs.

ended up spending the day running the heater to help cool the engine.

any known cooling problems with this vehicle?

or is this to be expected because I have taking a city truck and taking it on the highway in big hills?

Raker

Observer
Hey Boostin, to my knowledge the fuso has a very effective cooling system, as with all things mechanical (things fail) I've had a sticking thermostat (replaced it) a radiator full of mud (outside) Had to remove the shroud and it took hosing the fins 4 nights after work to finally cool the engine, I also flushed the radiator and filled with coolant. Towing a trailer and pulling up hill will increase the temp but should still be within limits. Have a look at when the radiator was cleaned last, what condition is the coolant in, is the thermostat opening and closing and is the front of the radiator clean? Hope this helps, Steve

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
mine runs hot climbing up long grades, especially if the wind is behind me. Shifting down a gear to keep revs up and the fan turning fast helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

boostin

Adventurer
I wondered about revving higher cause I could hear the fan more but wondered if more rpm would produce more heat

boostin

Adventurer
Forgot to mention thermostat looks good..fresh coolant..fan deff turns on but I noticed tons of very smushed fins and think that's blocking air flow

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I wondered about revving higher cause I could hear the fan more but wondered if more rpm would produce more heat

Revving higher is actually easier on the engine than lugging it down. If you can run a the same speed in either 4th or 5th gear, 4th gear will result in lower engine temperatures.

http://www.bankspower.com/techarticles/show/25-why-egt-is-important

...high EGTs are the result of too much fuel for the available air. If you see EGTs climbing over 1300º F., the fastest way to reduce the amount of fuel going to the engine is to back off the accelerator pedal. Another possible solution is to downshift if your speed permits it. For example, while the engine might be capable of producing enough power to pull the load in fifth gear at high EGTs, running in fourth gear at lower EGTs is definitely easier on the engine as long as the engine's RPM red line is not exceeded.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
No problems with my '02 FG. I've run at max GVW+, on 6% grades with the OAT at 100F+ with just a slight rise in engine water temperature.
Hills were at 35 mph and the rest of the driving at 55 mph. I am very impressed that it had no issues with those conditions.
The only temperature related issue I have had is my ignition switch sometimes does not work when the OAT is 90F or higher?

boostin

Adventurer
Ok interesting stuff here I was at about 90 - 100kph in the hills maybe too fast but traffic is usually 120 so I don't want to really be that guy.

Mine is a 6 speed auto so as far as revs I can't lug it really but I could manually downshift so it revs a bit more.

dlh62c

Explorer
Forgot to mention thermostat looks good..

Did you drop it in a pan of water with a thermometer and heat it up on a stove?

YouTube has videos on how to test them.

You can buy a comb to straighten out the fins on the radiator. It may not help, but it certainly wouldn't hurt.

Raker

Observer
Forgot to mention thermostat looks good..fresh coolant..fan deff turns on but I noticed tons of very smushed fins and think that's blocking air flow

I believe that smushed fins is a very real concern, the air needs to get past the fins to cool the water in the tubes.

boostin

Adventurer
Ok fins get straightened first but might need a new rad I had a closer inspection and it's pretty epic. Looks like some one tried to pressure wash the rad and did quite the number

Alastair D(Aus)

aging but active
Ok fins get straightened first but might need a new rad I had a closer inspection and it's pretty epic. Looks like some one tried to pressure wash the rad and did quite the number
Years ago I took a radiator to the radiator man and saw one lying on the floor with the fins nearly all flattened. Was told that it was the result of the apprentice turning up the pressure to get the job done quicker. They had scrapped it because the fins get weak along the fold where they are straightened.

boostin

Adventurer
Years ago I took a radiator to the radiator man and saw one lying on the floor with the fins nearly all flattened. Was told that it was the result of the apprentice turning up the pressure to get the job quicker. They had scrapped it because the fins get weak along the fold where they are straightened.

Yes I tried to straighten some and they seemed pretty week after

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior